Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Monarch Beach - (left SPG June 1, 2016) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Leaving Starwood on June 1, 2016

The St. Regis Monarch Beach will be leaving the Starwood system on June 1, 2016. Reservations are still being accepted for dates on or after June 1, 2016, however, they will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual.

Resort Pools closed Until June 1, 2016

The resort pools are closed until June 1, 2016. During this time, guests will continue to enjoy exclusive access to Monarch Beach. The beach is accessed by trams that depart the resort every 15 minutes. Additionally, beach butlers are happy to provide chairs, towels and umbrellas. For lap swimming, the Concierge can arrange transportation to a nearby pool. Please contact the resort by phone at (855) 368-2940 or email [email protected] for further information.

Starwood website
Print Wikipost

St. Regis Monarch Beach - (left SPG June 1, 2016) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Smile

Originally Posted by adventurous
Anyone have updates from recent stays--we're going in a few days for the first time.
Enjoyed another terrific stay at this resort this past weekend while redeeming a free weekend night. Warm greeting by Priscilla upon check in and recognized immediately as a Plat. Received an upgrade again without asking to a St. Regis Suite (Non-smoking, Luxury Ocean View, Butler Service, Two Marble Bathrooms, Priv Balcony/patio W/tbl&chrs), this time at the tip of the South Wing. There is also a host in the lobby (Kurt) who again gave a warm welcome to my 2 little ones and provided them with little sand buckets and shovels. Kurt also informed us of the family events that were to take place that day (Butterfly Release at 7pm as well as Storytelling and Smores at 7:30pm).

When we got to our room, we were pleasantly surprised to be greeted by someone familiar...John, a terrific butler who provided exemplary service on our prior stay (see post #64). We again received a complimentary fruit platter and bottled water as Plat guests.

Pool-side service was fine. I hung out with my son exclusively at the Lagoon Pool area (family zone) and the server came around regularly. Pool attendants even passed out popsicles to the kids in the afternoon. I even thought the pool food & drink prices were quite reasonable for a resort: $12 cocktails, $6 smoothies and a $9.50 kids' meal cheeseburger (w/ fries) that was adult-sized; my 5 year-old son could only finish a third of it so I dutifully finished off the rest of that juicy burger Enough to satisfy two mouths.

If you have the disposition and appetite, their Sunday brunch in Motif is quite the wide-ranging spread.

Still haven't made use of Spa Gaucin (will have to indulge in that at some point) or the fitness facilities yet (would rather jog/walk along the shoreline or golf/nature path). And if you caught a glimpse of the Ritz-Carlton's fitness center and its expansive ocean view, it'd be hard to get excited about the enclosed gym at the StR.

Having been to many other resorts (SPG and non-SPG) in California, Hawaii and elsewhere, I don't find their valet charge ($30) or resort charge ($25) all that surprising...more of the norm. I've paid similar rates at properties far below the quality of the St Regis Monarch Beach.

So that's my mini stay report. Great use of free weekend redemption.

Originally Posted by wahoo99
Some people have noted that this is a very family-friendly resort that does a god job catering to families. Nothing against families, but does this mean the pools and beach are typically overrun with screaming children on crowded weekends? Is the main pool adults only? Planning to grab some much needed quiet R&R by staying at this resort on a trip to SoCal over the 4th of July weekend, and just want to make sure that is going to be possible at this hotel...
Yes wahoo99, the resort does a very good job of catering to families. But I wouldn't say kids overrun the resort. Most families stay in the Lagoon Pool area with the kiddie pool being the most remote from the Main Pool area. Unfortunately, there are some couples who'll bring their children to the Main Pool. Fortunately, the huge fountain at the Main Pool will drown (bad pun) out some of the noise, if any, made by kids. For more privacy, you can always rent one of the pool-side cabanas.

You're also less apt to be around kids at the Monarch Bay Club, which you'll have access to as a StR guest as well as shuttle service to/from resort. It's right there on Monarch Beach and far away enough from the nearby public Salt Creek Park. It's also the widest stretch of beach there so it never feels overcrowded if you venture away from the Club. Just ask the beach butlers to situate you away from kids.

I'd advise you to avoid the Lobby Level Terrace when the Butterfly Release and Storytelling & Smores (2nd Floor Terrace) take place (see above). At most other times, it's a very relaxing spot to soak in the views. If you really want adult indulgence (other than you know...), treat yourselves to Spa Gaucin (make use of the facilities there for hours) and have dinner at Stonehill Tavern.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, United MP Premier, Alaska Air, BA, Qantas, ANZ
Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter
Enjoyed another terrific stay at this resort this past weekend while redeeming a free weekend night. ...
Helpful post for me/us. Clothing-did you beachwalk? Did lounge there, have footwear to the beach, on the beach--swimwear?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 9, 2009 at 9:30 am Reason: Reduce quote for ease in reading
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:51 am

Clothing-did you beachwalk? Did lounge there, have footwear to the beach, on the beach--swimwear?
Clothing is very casual on So Cal beaches. But would not rec entering ocean with swimwear alone until later in the summer. You won't find surfers or bodyboarders out in the ocean right now without a full wetsuit. In fact, would not rec entering the ocean at all for the uninitiated. My nephew was a lifeguard there at Salt Creek Beach, and he said it has one of the highest rates of drownings in the USA due to a combination of shore breaks, strong rip currents and large number of tourists.

If you're asking if you'll need footwear on the beach or in the water...nah. Sand is soft, no rocks unless you're near the cliffs.

At the resort pools, on the beach, or at the outdoor area of Monarch Bay Club, most everyone is in swimwear. However, inside the Monarch Bay Club and St Regis restaurants, it is recommended that you cover up swimwear (women) or be shirted (men) and have footwear (sandals are fine) on during the day. If you plan to dine at the resort in the evening, there is a recommended "resort attire," which for men means collared shirt (polo) and pants (no jeans or shorts). I would recommend the same if you plan to hang out in the lounge/bar areas. But plenty of guests walk around in smart jeans and shorts around the resort at all hours, including myself. You'll even see the whole range of clothing style (from ultimate casual of t-shirt/boardshorts to Sunday best) during Sunday brunch. This is So Cal. No one is dressed to the nines unless they're there for a special event.

Hope all that gives you a better idea of what to expect.

Last edited by W2B Globetrotter; Jun 9, 2009 at 12:15 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jun 9, 2009, 2:03 pm

Programs: Continental, United, AA
Spa Prices?

They seem quite high. $165 for a 60 min. massage. As a SPG Gold, is there a way to bring these prices down a bit. My wife has an itch for a spa day and we're at the hotel for the next few nights. btw- very family friendly. has anyone used their babysitting services?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Spa prices are a bit high but then again what resort has spa prices that are not. I personally thought the spa and the service I had when I stayed at the hotel my one and only time were some of the best I have had. The room and the service as another thing IMHO (if I had had a Platinum experience like W2B Globetrotter I probably would have stayed there again but we got a wonderful room looking out over a walkway with overflowing trash cans) Oh well...we've been happy at the Ritz-Carlton ever since for our yearly trip and we prefer the location.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by J-FLyer
They seem quite high. $165 for a 60 min. massage. As a SPG Gold, is there a way to bring these prices down a bit. My wife has an itch for a spa day and we're at the hotel for the next few nights. btw- very family friendly. has anyone used their babysitting services?
I remember receiving a couple of standard pre-arrival emails from the resort. One from concierge and one from the Gen Mgr. One of them offered 20% of spa services if you pre-book. You're very likely to get the same offer.

Haven't used their babysitting services but it is offered. And they have the Sandcastle Kids Club (ages 5-12) from 9am to 5pm, and summer "camp outs" from 6pm to ?

Originally Posted by christianj
Oh well...we've been happy at the Ritz-Carlton ever since for our yearly trip and we prefer the location.
Don't blame you. The RC has a most enviable spot perched on the cliffs overlooking two bays.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 4:55 pm

Programs: Continental, United, AA
Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter
I remember receiving a couple of standard pre-arrival emails from the resort. One from concierge and one from the Gen Mgr. One of them offered 20% of spa services if you pre-book. You're very likely to get the same offer.
I did get the offer in an email, but the link was dead. 20% off 165 is nice, but with the 21% service charge that will bounce right back up to 165 (give or take a couple bucks). What gives with a 21% service charge? I'll ask the front desk about the code for the spa discount. Just wondering if there's something I'm missing, sort of new to SPG.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Really enjoyed the Monarch Bay Club...small, but great spot, and the food and service are quite good. Great place for a casual cocktail after some beach time, also.

Interesting to see that other Plats have been upgraded to St. Regis Suites, even on free/award stays. We were on an award stay, and upgraded to the Exec Suite (great, but one room vs two) - I know that St. Regis Suites were available during our stay, because I asked to see one for comparison purposes, but didn't press the issue.

The resort fee did indeed cover HSIA (wired only, no wireless in rooms) Also covered health club access, which we didn't use.

As my review a page back stated, all in all, one of our favorite SPG properties. Classy and laidback, and while not right on the beach, we found it to be a perfect place for a getaway. And stlterp JR had a blast in his first trips to the pool and beach.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, United MP Premier, Alaska Air, BA, Qantas, ANZ
Helpful post for me/us. Clothing-did you beachwalk? Did lounge there, have footwear to the beach, on the beach--swimwear?
This is bizarre--I did not write the post, but it's got my handle, and someone else's name in the edit.

And the answers were what I wanted...

FT Twilight?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:12 pm
Community Director Emerita

This is bizarre--I did not write the post, but it's got my handle, and someone else's name in the edit.

And the answers were what I wanted...

FT Twilight?
Then it was posted by someone using your computer, logged in as you to FT. It had a very lengthy quote from the prior poster before getting to the question. To make it simpler for others to read, I did as I wrote in the edit note - cut down the quoted portion, while leaving your post unedited.

SanDiego1K
Starwood Mod
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Will the St. Regis Monarch Beach be the next Starwood property in foreclosure?

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...3.story?page=1
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:00 pm

The article mentions a foreclosure auction on July 7, but the property still shows point+cash rates into August. I noticed W San Diego does not have starpoint rates anymore.

Last edited by LilZeppelin; Jun 10, 2009 at 6:57 pm
Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:33 pm

St. Regis Dana Point BK

We live a couple of miles from the St. Regis in Dana Point and just read in our local paper that the resort is getting closer to BK and will go "on the block" July 7th - wonder how this will affect things??????????
Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
From the Orange County Register's real estate blog

http://lansner.freedomblogging.com/2...l-money/25333/

In 2007, the owners of the St. Regis borrowed more than $300 million for the resort from Citigroup: A $230 million loan on the property and a $81 million “mezzanine” loan based on the owners’ equity.

“That property is probably worth about $150 million now,” Reay said. “The problem is there’s no financing”

Up for auction is $70 million remaining of that $81 million “mezzanine” loan.

Reay said the resort will probably stay open, because it would cost so much to reopen a closed hotel. Starwood Hotels operates the St. Regis along with several other luxury chains.

“Technically it shouldn’t affect Starwood unless a bankruptcy was filed or unless the hotel is being closed,” Reay said. “The chances of the lender coming and doing that are zero.”
(Emphasis mine.)
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
This is really bad news. The St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort is one of my favorite Starwood properties. The hotel was always full when we stayed there with huge weddings on Saturdays in June.

I hope the hotel stays open and is able to work out the financing. I have 3 free weekend nights reserved for early August.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.