Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Monarch Beach - (left SPG June 1, 2016) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Leaving Starwood on June 1, 2016

The St. Regis Monarch Beach will be leaving the Starwood system on June 1, 2016. Reservations are still being accepted for dates on or after June 1, 2016, however, they will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual.

Resort Pools closed Until June 1, 2016

The resort pools are closed until June 1, 2016. During this time, guests will continue to enjoy exclusive access to Monarch Beach. The beach is accessed by trams that depart the resort every 15 minutes. Additionally, beach butlers are happy to provide chairs, towels and umbrellas. For lap swimming, the Concierge can arrange transportation to a nearby pool. Please contact the resort by phone at (855) 368-2940 or email [email protected] for further information.

Starwood website
Print Wikipost

St. Regis Monarch Beach - (left SPG June 1, 2016) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:50 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
It really sounds like you enjoy setting yourself up for disappointment. Just an observation after reading both reviews and subsequent comments. Personally I don't like to have unreasonable expectations because I know they will seldom be met. And I find that when I don't; I am pleasantly surprised when expectations are exceeded and the experience is that much more awesome. (see my review of the Hyatt Madeleine in Paris. Wow).

But that's just me, to each his own.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
It really sounds like you enjoy setting yourself up for disappointment. Just an observation after reading both reviews and subsequent comments. Personally I don't like to have unreasonable expectations because I know they will seldom be met. And I find that when I don't; I am pleasantly surprised when expectations are exceeded and the experience is that much more awesome. (see my review of the Hyatt Madeleine in Paris. Wow).

But that's just me, to each his own.
If I am paying $0: no expectations whatsoever. If I am paying $99 to stay at a Sheraton, I'll have minimal expectations. Do you really believe that people will expect nothing when you are paying $550? Unreasonable expectations? Why don't I just throw $550 in the trash and expect nothing? The fact is, the hotel charges a hefty premium so they better deliver. If they don't, I will simply give my business to Ritz Carlton, as simple as that. And just how am I expecting too much when plenty of category 4 and 5 hotels in the system have impressed me more than the St Regis MB?

Last edited by BlissWorld; Jul 22, 2009 at 5:02 pm
Old Jul 22, 2009, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy LTT,
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
I'm booked there (did it a couple of months ago) on the free night promo for Sept 18-20. Recently tried to get a second room for a friend - no availability left for that weekend.
I'm stay there the same weekend, might have sniped the last room.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:29 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Excerpted from your comments (emphasis mine):
If you went there thinking, oh, I did 2 cheap MRs for $70 a night each and I get to stay at St Regis, it must be heck of a lot nicer than your typical Sheratons, I'll enjoy it. Then, you will absolutely enjoy it. Is it nicer than 99% of the Sheraton? Yes.
I am probably going to stay at this property using one of my FWN's. All I am saying is, I would rather enjoy my stay than not, so I prefer the method you describe here. You said it perfectly.

I'm not saying anything you said was wrong or inaccurate; I'm just saying that I would rather enjoy my stay than nitpick about how the service is not superior; find reasons to complain about how it does not live up to Five Star+++ reputations of lavish hotels all over the world, and then come away feeling supremely disappointed. Especially after reading this thread.

That's all I'm saying, I'm just speaking for me (although it sounds like sfosolo had a nice time too). But of course if that's your thing, go for it.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Okijames
haha, same here. I am staying here that weekend too. It was out of availability for quite some time but it did show up one night around 2am LA time, so I called and took that last room immediately. Keep looking! You may get lucky!
Old Jul 23, 2009, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Okijames
Originally Posted by anchor79
haha, same here. I am staying here that weekend too. It was out of availability for quite some time but it did show up one night around 2am LA time, so I called and took that last room immediately. Keep looking! You may get lucky!
If anyone wants to grab a cocktail, I'd buy the first round. Wondering how many FTers are going to be here as it's the last weekend to use the awards?
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:34 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...Wondering how many FTers are going to be here as it's the last weekend to use the awards?
Could be quite a few. The last time I checked, this property was the most requested for using Free Weekends awards.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 23, 2009, 1:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
I've been to a lot of luxury hotels in the world and honestly, St Regis MB is not anywhere near the tops I've been, not even close.
I've stayed at many luxury hotels around the world including FS, RC, MO, and Pen. And I assume you've also stayed at luxury properties around the world. I agree the St. Regis MB is nowhere near one of the best in the world. But honestly, there are very few properties in the U.S. that can match the level of service and amenities of the top properties in the world, especially Asia. I recently stayed at the RC Chicago (a FS hotel) and I thought to myself, sure it's a nice hotel in Chicago. But it pales in comparison to FS hotels in Asia or even Europe.

For example, I recently stayed at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo and the Grand Hyatt San Francisco. Though these two hotels are of the same brand, there are alike only in brand because the hotels are like night and day.

I enjoyed my stay at the St. Regis MB last month. I found the rooms to be very comfortable and spacious and the service was good (for a property in the U.S.). Was it the best luxury hotel I've been to? He11 no. Oberoi Rajvilas and MO Bangkok come to my mind as top hotels. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I compare "luxury" hotels in the U.S. with those in other countries, I too would be disappointed. But the St. Regis MB is in my mind one of the finest places to stay in California.

I've also stayed at the RC LN. Yes, it's on the beach and that's their main advantage. My main gripes: I found the standard rooms to be cramped. I also received indifferent service at the restaurant 162. Finally, I was very peeved that you have to pay a separate spa fee to use the showers in the locker room. After a strenuous workout, instead of having to walk back to my room dripping in sweat, I want to grab a quick shower. The separate spa fee is mandatory if you want to use the sauna and steam rooms. The spa area is complimentary for all guests at the St. Regis MB.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Sorry to disagree with you Francophile, but the showers at the spa are NOT free. You are paying for it with the resort fee. While it may be a good thing for people like you who want to use the spa showers, sauna's ect if someone does not then it's a negative.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 2:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by BigBopper
Sorry to disagree with you Francophile, but the showers at the spa are NOT free. You are paying for it with the resort fee. While it may be a good thing for people like you who want to use the spa showers, sauna's ect if someone does not then it's a negative.
You are right at the showers, steam room and sauna at the St. Regis MB are not free and that I'm paying for it with the resort fee. However, at the RC LN, there is also a mandatory resort fee AND a separate fee to use the wet areas in the spa:

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Proper...t.htm#policies
Old Jul 26, 2009, 5:03 pm
In memoriam

My wife and I are at the Monarch Beach right now for two nights on the free-weekend-night(s) award. The room, although the cheapest, is on the fifth floor; bright and cheery and rather large. The cleaning lady is here now (after we called); apparently, some kind of mixup as it's almost 4:00 P.M.

The beach was great, and we had a fabulous, relaxed breakfast at the Clubhouse next to the water. The waitress brought a "surprise" dessert for my wife for her birthday (today). Service by the tram was terrific (no tip expected). Valet service with the cars also efficient. Bellboy very friendly. Front desk: First agent rather perfunctory; others friendlier. Gift shop clerk and swim pool attendants courteous and efficient. Food service at poolside for a quesadilla yesterday on the slow side, but food very good, and (relatively) reasonably priced.

So the bottom line is, so far (we got here yesterday around 2:00 P.M. for an early check-in) we're quite happy with our visit, and most of the complaints from some of the posters who had bad experiences here haven't been realized.

Let's hope things continue apace for the next 24 hours!
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by francophile
I've stayed at many luxury hotels around the world including FS, RC, MO, and Pen. And I assume you've also stayed at luxury properties around the world. I agree the St. Regis MB is nowhere near one of the best in the world. But honestly, there are very few properties in the U.S. that can match the level of service and amenities of the top properties in the world, especially Asia. I recently stayed at the RC Chicago (a FS hotel) and I thought to myself, sure it's a nice hotel in Chicago. But it pales in comparison to FS hotels in Asia or even Europe.

For example, I recently stayed at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo and the Grand Hyatt San Francisco. Though these two hotels are of the same brand, there are alike only in brand because the hotels are like night and day.

I enjoyed my stay at the St. Regis MB last month. I found the rooms to be very comfortable and spacious and the service was good (for a property in the U.S.). Was it the best luxury hotel I've been to? He11 no. Oberoi Rajvilas and MO Bangkok come to my mind as top hotels. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I compare "luxury" hotels in the U.S. with those in other countries, I too would be disappointed. But the St. Regis MB is in my mind one of the finest places to stay in California.

I've also stayed at the RC LN. Yes, it's on the beach and that's their main advantage. My main gripes: I found the standard rooms to be cramped. I also received indifferent service at the restaurant 162. Finally, I was very peeved that you have to pay a separate spa fee to use the showers in the locker room. After a strenuous workout, instead of having to walk back to my room dripping in sweat, I want to grab a quick shower. The separate spa fee is mandatory if you want to use the sauna and steam rooms. The spa area is complimentary for all guests at the St. Regis MB.
Could someone explain to me what "services" these other hotels provide? I've stayed in many luxury hotels (never been to asia), and am not exactly sure what is being provided that separates them apart.

Someone spraying Evian mist poolside doesn't exactly make much of a difference to me...so it's got to be more.

Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:42 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by normcpa
My wife and I are at the Monarch Beach right now for two nights on the free-weekend-night(s) award. The room, although the cheapest, is on the fifth floor; bright and cheery and rather large. The cleaning lady is here now (after we called); apparently, some kind of mixup as it's almost 4:00 P.M.

The beach was great, and we had a fabulous, relaxed breakfast at the Clubhouse next to the water. The waitress brought a "surprise" dessert for my wife for her birthday (today). Service by the tram was terrific (no tip expected). Valet service with the cars also efficient. Bellboy very friendly. Front desk: First agent rather perfunctory; others friendlier. Gift shop clerk and swim pool attendants courteous and efficient. Food service at poolside for a quesadilla yesterday on the slow side, but food very good, and (relatively) reasonably priced.

So the bottom line is, so far (we got here yesterday around 2:00 P.M. for an early check-in) we're quite happy with our visit, and most of the complaints from some of the posters who had bad experiences here haven't been realized.

Let's hope things continue apace for the next 24 hours!
This is very reassuring for those (like me) who have also booked promo weekends at this property. Please let us know how your weekend wound up!
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by manku
Could someone explain to me what "services" these other hotels provide? I've stayed in many luxury hotels (never been to asia), and am not exactly sure what is being provided that separates them apart.

Someone spraying Evian mist poolside doesn't exactly make much of a difference to me...so it's got to be more.

Thanks.
The main difference between luxury hotels in Asia and luxury hotels in the US is "service" in that hotels in Asia have a significantly higher ratio of service personnel to guest room than any hotel in the US. The attitude also sets the service level apart. Everywhere you turn there's someone to address your needs and asking if you needed anything. There's sincerity in the attitude and you're not having to tip at every.

We were at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit in Bangkok recently for a 5-night award stay. The service was excellent. After the first day, the front desk, concierge, restaurant host, bar waitresses all knew me by sight. I'd return in a heart beat.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy LTT,
If anyone wants to grab a cocktail, I'd buy the first round. Wondering how many FTers are going to be here as it's the last weekend to use the awards?
So how do we identify each other, flash FT "gang signs" as we enter various rooms? People will just think I have some sort of neuro-muscular affliction.

You'll probably find me at the Tavern bar with Jaren (sp?) and Sten after dinner.

BTW, isn't Sept 25th-27th the last weekend?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.