Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Vacation Ownership

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2005, 8:49 pm

Today in the mail I got a promo from Westin VO in Cancun.

Here's the offer: 4 nights at Sheraton Cancun + 8000 Starpoints for $199.

What's the catch? Must attend a resort preview and sales presentation.

I have no interest in buying a timeshare. How onerous is the preview/presentation? An entire day? Every day? Assuming there's availability, $50/night is a good deal for Sheraton Cancun.

Good idea or will they just hassle us to death?
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, AMEX Plat
My father is a SVO Owner at Westin Mission Hills. He bought there in 2002 for 11K I think. Low Season for 2 weeks, 2 bedroom studio lockoff or something like that. We stayed there once and it was HUGE. We also got 75K bonus points, plus another 10K for looking.

I know he is looking to sell the unit though, but you CAN transfer to other SVO properties, I don't know who said you can't, but YOU CAN and WE DID. We traded for Atlantis.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:43 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Starwood Owner - Maui and Scottsdale
Originally Posted by Pets0undz
Today in the mail I got a promo from Westin VO in Cancun.

Here's the offer: 4 nights at Sheraton Cancun + 8000 Starpoints for $199.

What's the catch? Must attend a resort preview and sales presentation.

I have no interest in buying a timeshare. How onerous is the preview/presentation? An entire day? Every day? Assuming there's availability, $50/night is a good deal for Sheraton Cancun.

Good idea or will they just hassle us to death?
In theory, you should just have 1 - 90 min. presentation. To keep it to 90 min. schedule an activity for 2 hours after the start of the presentation, let them know you have to go, and leave after 90 min.

Last edited by DeniseM; Oct 6, 2005 at 10:45 pm
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
But in reality, I think the true value of your timeshare is closer to this:

WESTIN Starwood LOCKOFF California Timeshare Deed
Sorry but I have to disagree with you. That time of year the temps are over 100 daily...it's the low season (although perhaps trading to Interval Int'l they still consider it a RED week). The equivalent SVO Staroptions for that unit are 56,300....whereas my Staroptions are 148,100. So...if we value this based on Staroptions.... 148,100/56,300 x $6,102 => $16,050. However, I own 2 bi-ennial year deeds (odd & even). Each is re-sellable individually and in my thinking and from talking to the resellers...2 halves are more valuable then the whole. In any event, I'm happy with my investment and in the original analysis/expectation I had going into this purchase. Yes, I suppose one could run a time value of money...looking at the original purchase price, annual maintenance, taxes, tax savings, etc....vs. putting that money in say a mutual fund or other investment. Although I purchased a timeshare...my true belief is they're generally not good investments. Sticking with purchasing vacation/rental properties is a much better use of ones money.

Anyway...I appreciate your input too...thanks for sharing your thoughts. How about .01 a point? I've got about 400K SPG points but always happy to get a few more.

Last edited by Richard_SVO_SPG_Platinum; Oct 7, 2005 at 8:20 am
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:03 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Hi,
How do I sign up for these timeshare promos. I an not really sure I want to buy but I am willing to listen to a presentation for a bunch of Starpoints and a great rate.

Cheers
expressboy
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:27 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Starwood Owner - Maui and Scottsdale
Originally Posted by expressboy
Hi,
How do I sign up for these timeshare promos. I an not really sure I want to buy but I am willing to listen to a presentation for a bunch of Starpoints and a great rate.

Cheers
expressboy
You need to be referred by an owner - EMAIL me if you would like more info. about it.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:07 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
exodus-

As stated, people who purchase Mission Hills from the developer can, indeed, trade Staroptions for other SVN resorts. However, when and if your father sells it, the resale purchaser CANNOT trade internally within SVN

Richard -

you wrote:

In any event, I'm happy with my investment and in the original analysis/expectation I had going into this purchase.

That says it all!
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:06 am

Programs: Starwood Preferred Guest
Find information about buying pre-construction with Starwood

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
we bought preconstruction Westin Maui. Cost was well worth it for comfortable family vacations both in Maui and to trade for other localities. The condos are beautiful and comfortable, we had 6 there including the grandkids who loved it. Much nicer than being in hotel rooms. Probably could rent a condo for about the same prices now, but who knows how costs will increase in the future. Trust in Starwood name, also like the new Marriott time shares
Do you know a good resource for finding some information regarding new preconstruction properties with Starwood?
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by bellinmi
Do you know a good resource for finding some information regarding new preconstruction properties with Starwood?
You could look at starwoodvo.com, also http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/ is where many starwood owners post (in the hotel timeshare systems board) and they usually will post info when they get info on preconstruction stuff.

Starwood used to have a central sales office in Florida that sold all the resorts centrally........ I bought my unit over the phone from them. But that office is no longer open. To purchase a unit, you need to be at a Starwood Vacation Ownership location or a hotel with a sales office.

Right now, they are selling the following properties which are currently being built.

1. Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas - preconstruction
2. Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas - North - preconstruction
3. Westin Lagunamar Resort - Cancun - preconstruction
4. Vistana Villages - Expansion
5. Westin Kierland - Expansion

Anyway, that is all I know.

Last edited by sfbenning; Mar 8, 2006 at 9:37 am
Old Mar 6, 2006, 2:01 pm

Programs: USAirways, SPG gold, Marriott Silver
Over the summer/fall I did an upgrade of my Myrtle Beach unit through the office in Orlando. So maybe they do have info on everything. Check the boards, as suggested, I thought I read they were selling preconstruction for Cancun from Mission Hills.
E
Old Mar 6, 2006, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by DeniseM
You need to be referred by an owner - EMAIL me if you would like more info. about it.
Denise

I would love to use you as a referral for *Wood Ownership. Please contact me at [email protected]. We have been trying to get to see some of the vacation property but we dont know anyone.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:31 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
sfbenning-

Is Kierland sold out???
Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Timeshares are a great profit center for the developer but a lousy investment. PROOF of this statement is seen in the resale market where actual prices (not list but sale) are uniformly 10-50% of the original sales price. Clearly the free market values timeshares far below the developer asking price. Not a shocker, somebody has to pay for the huge marketing staff, lead generation, promos, etc.

Before buying one of these turkeys, you should sit down and calculate the actual cost. As an example, take the sales prices quoted here: $25,000 for a 2BR in a prime location. Using a generous discount rate (8%), you will end up with a present value of $2000/yr. (That is what you could earn on your $25K if you invested it elsewhere - if you finance your timeshare your cost is even higher!) Add annual fees ($600 avg), exchange membership and fees ($150) and you are essentially locked into spending $2700 a year. That is your real cost - every year.

Personally I have no trouble finding resort rooms on priceline for $150/nt, not to mention one week condo rentals on Maui and elsewhere for $1000/wk. So I am happy not to be locked into spending $2700 every year at the same place (not to mention that I rarely spend a one week period anywhere). YMMV.

In sum, don't buy a timeshare with the idea that you are saving money - you aren't. Buy it because you like the resort, buy it to lock in your vacation price, buy it because you like having a luxury 2BR unit rather than a hotel room (studios are a particularly bad deal) - but don't buy it as an investment.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by stevens397
sfbenning-

Is Kierland sold out???
Kierland is not sold out. Just purchased there a couple of months ago. If you are interested in it, PM me and I can refer you so you can go visit...
Old Mar 6, 2006, 7:39 pm

Programs: USAirways, SPG gold, Marriott Silver
Wink I'm willing to help

I will be glad to "refer" anyone who would like to get an offer to visit from Starwood. I'm hungry for points....saving for Bora Bora
Eileen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.