Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay in Santa Barbara

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2004, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Presidents
Smile Where to stay in Santa Barbara

Going to be in Santa Barbara next week. Need suggestions on where to stay. *wood website shows only one property.

Thanx for the help!!
Old Jun 22, 2004, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Well, the absolute best place is Bacara.

And there are no Starwood hotels within 27 miles of Santa Barbara. There is a Hilton (Fess Parkers) which is the only big chain hotel I know of.

Last edited by stimpy; Jun 22, 2004 at 5:34 am
Old Jun 22, 2004, 8:55 am
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Bacara is way out of town. I think the best hotel in Santa Barbara is the Four Seasons Biltmore.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ned
Bacara is way out of town. I think the best hotel in Santa Barbara is the Four Seasons Biltmore.
Bacara is only 5 minutes or so by car. And have you tried the spa there? And Miro? To me, it's a step above the FS. But you can never go wrong with an FS!
Old Jun 22, 2004, 9:24 am

[>>QUOTE=dontsaystewardess]Going to be in Santa Barbara next week. Need suggestions on where to stay. *wood website shows only one property.
Thanx for the help!![/QUOTE]>>

There is a beautiful hotel on the hillside near a famous mission. I forgot the name! It is a luxury hotel. YOU can eat on the terrace outside and the view is wonderful. I went there more than once. Even if u do not stay there it's worth going just for lunch.

It is 10 minutes by car from town. Chamber of Commerce can help. There are 2 luxury hotels on the ocean. Look at Expedia in hotel section. I am sure they will come up
Old Jun 22, 2004, 9:28 am

I found the name of the place in Santa Barbara on the hill which is wonderful. It is called the EL ENCANTO INN.

10 minutes from town on a hill.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bretteee writes:
I found the name of the place in Santa Barbara on the hill which is wonderful. It is called the EL ENCANTO INN.
It is wonderful. I've stayed at El Encanto many times. My favorite place in Santa Barbara. All individual cottages, many with fireplaces. Place dates back to 1915 with many Presidents of the U.S. calling this home. Beautiful grounds. Incredible views. Very quiet and serene. Great restaurant. But it's not some old stogy relic of the past. New and aggressive management has kept the place contemporary and today's celebrities and others consider this a favorite "hideaway" of theirs. Especially for romance.

http://www.elencantohotel.com/

Closest Starwood is the Four Points Ventura, which is about a half hour from Santa Barbara. As far as I know, it's the ONLY Starwood in this particular Central Coast area. And coincidently, I happen to be typing from a room here right at this moment! I've stayed here many times now. It's a very decent Four Points IMHO, old landmark property with architecture by Frank Lloyd Wright, tennis courts, nice pool, beautifully landscaped grounds, and right on the Marina. They've been renovating a lot the last couple of years. A whole Harbor Village with many fine shopping and dinning opportunities is across the Marina. As a Platinum, I'm always give a couple of chits for complimentary cocktails from 5-7.

If you can, try to get a Marina View in the Marina Wing across the road (not the main building where you check-in...but the one connected by a bridge). The entire Marina Wing has recently been renovated. Rooms in the Marina wing are particularly nice, covered by complimentary Wi-Fi (SkyRiver), and the Marina View ones feature beautiful views of the ships and sunsets.

The ground floor of the Marina Wing has the brand new Jr. Suites which also feature wired hi-speed in addition to the Wi-Fi, kitchenettes, high ceilings and jacuzzi tubs. Most of the Marina side/view ones feature a step-down living room and the high glass windows make for great views and effects. The ground floor Jr. Suites facing away from the Marina have no view, just a small private patio with a plant or 2 and a wall fountain. Still very nice room though.

Rates are pretty easy on the pocketbook here too. $109 most of the time. Can often confirm a Marina View Jr. Suite for as low as $159.

It's a Starwood Category 1 hotel (due to it's low prices, not inferior quality IMHO), which makes for a relative bargain on award stays at 2,000 Starpoints a night Fri & Sat, and 3,000 per the rest of the week. Not bad for a nice and relaxing ocean harbor location, IMHO.

Here's some shots of a couple of different type rooms here:

Marina Wing Jr. Suite - Marina View - King w/Step-Down Sitting Area:
http://members.aol.com/premexfiles/4pointVEN140.jpg

Marina Wing Jr. Suite - Patio View - 2 Queens
http://members.aol.com/premexfiles/4pointVEN141.jpg

Marina Wing Deluxe Room - Marina View:
http://members.aol.com/premexfiles/4pointVEN359.jpg

So if you really want that Starwood stay, it's certainly an option for you and a pleasant not-to-long-a-drive to Santa Barbara. But if the hotel is "the thing" and you want to stay right in Santa Barbara, you're gonna have to pick something non-Starwood.

Last edited by PremEx; Jun 22, 2004 at 11:41 am
Old Jun 29, 2004, 9:49 pm

Thanks

Originally Posted by PremEx
Bretteee writes:

It is wonderful. I've stayed at El Encanto many times. My favorite place in Santa Barbara. All individual cottages, many with fireplaces. Place dates back to 1915 with many Presidents of the U.S. calling this home.
-------

So if you really want that Starwood stay, it's certainly an option for you and a pleasant not-to-long-a-drive to Santa Barbara. But if the hotel is "the thing" and you want to stay right in Santa Barbara, you're gonna have to pick something non-Starwood.
HI! Premex,
Thanks for the wonderful info about this place. I am visiting LA in August and was planning a trip to SantaBarbara... will check out this place. looks nice and reasonable. wonderful photos..
regards
md
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:55 pm
ned

meghadhoot, I just came across this thread again and had some thoughts for you. I have lived in Santa Barbara for over 20 years and was a Vice President of a major hotel company before retiring. Forget the Bacara unless you are trying to impress someone with how much you are able to spend , over rated and over priced. I mentioned before the Four Seasons Biltmore, but would also agree with El Encanto as a good choice. El Encanto is not as shiney and some might say it is a little tired, but I like it, in fact I go there for breakfast about once a month, great view and atmosphere. When in Santa Barbara try one or some of our new restraunts. They are generally clustered around Victoria St and State St. You will not go wrong at Ca Dario, Ole y Lemoni, Primo, or Buchone (sorry about the spelling). Hope you enjoy your visit.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:02 pm
ned

stimpy, I could not resist a reply to your post. Bacara is a very impressive facility but is at the north end of Goleta. On Tuesday at midnight it is 15 minutes from the middle of Santa Barbara. On a weekday afternoon it could be half an hour plus.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by stimpy
Bacara is only 5 minutes or so by car. And have you tried the spa there? And Miro? To me, it's a step above the FS. But you can never go wrong with an FS!
I live in Santa Barbara, Bacara is definately more than 5 minutes to downtown SB by car, more like 15 minutes. FS is 2-3 minutes to downtown.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, it's 15 minutes rather than 5. It's been a couple of years since I was there. Perhaps Bacara has gone downhill? I don't know and I'm not a hotel VP, but I do know that it was the finest spa I've been to in the U.S. That incudes the St. Regis Monarch Beach and plenty of others. And I didn't pay a lot as I was on an Amex FHR Spa package deal.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
If you'd like to be right by the beach and not spend FS prices, the Santa Barbara Inn isn't bad at all. It's not particularly upscale in terms of furnishings, but the rooms all have mini-kitchens (refrig, coffee maker, etc.), there's a branch of Michel Richaud's Citronelle on property (also supplies the room service food), and it fronts to the ocean. I stayed there last year because nothing else better than a Motel 6 was available on the dates I needed, but ended up liking it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.