Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PackingIt
Q. How does one qualify for "Preferred Plus" benefits?

A. By being the primary cardmember for a Starwood American Express card, or by becoming a member of AARP, AAA, or other marketing partner providing complimentary Preferred Plus status. (See, e.g., http://discounts.aarp.org/offer/inde...CategoryId/402)

Q. What are the published incremental benefits of Preferred Plus (i.e., beyond base SPG member benefits)?

A. The incremental benefits are
  • "Upgrades to enhanced rooms at check-in, such as rooms on higher floors or corner rooms. [Footnote: Subject to availability at check-in for the length of the stay, provided the room was not booked through a prepaid third-party channel. Enhanced rooms do not include suites and include rooms on higher floors, rooms with better views, or corner rooms. This benefit is not offered at Aloft(sm) and Element(sm) properties.]"
  • "4 p.m. late checkout, where available. [Footnote: Subject to availability at resort and conference center hotels.]" This benefit is covered in detail in a separate FT thread.

Q. Where can I find these benefits stated on the SPG website?

A. They can be viewed here: https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ybenefits.html -- Note: If you are not already logged in, you'll be sent to a login page. Once logged in, ignore where you are redirected to, and click the original link again to view your benefits.

Q. Where can I find a list of "resort and conference center hotels" on the SPG website?

A. You can't; it isn't there. However, one of the Starwood representatives has posted (and regularly updates) a list at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18920557-post809.html.
Print Wikipost

What is SPG "Preferred Plus" Status?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2005, 1:32 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
The benefits of Preferred Plus membership in Starwood Preferred Guest are as follows:

- Two Starpoints per U. S. Dollar or equivalent spent on eligible charges.
- Ability to earn Starpoints on restaurant charges when not staying at a participating property. (US$10.00 Minimum)
- Personal profile information, including: floor, bedding, pillow, smoking preferences, and newspaper preferences.
- National weekday newspaper.
- Pre-blocked and pre-keyed room on day of arrival.
- Personalized, fast and efficient check-in.
- Special toll-free number for Starwood Preferred Guest related inquiries.
- Unlimited ability to transfer Starpoints between two accounts in the same household.
- Preferred Plus membership credentials.
- Guaranteed late check-out of up to 4:00 p.m., based upon availability at resort properties or conference destinations during peak season.
- Upgrade to a Preferred Room, subject to availability at time of check-in.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Apr 13, 2005, 1:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
How do I add it to my SPG Account?

Thanks for you fast response.
Now that I know what it is... how do I add it to my SPG account?

Thank you very much.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 1:41 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
Thanks for you fast response.
Now that I know what it is... how do I add it to my SPG account?

Thank you very much.
CAA will let us know and we will upgrade the account accordingly - provided you gave them your SPG account number when you joined.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old May 2, 2005, 11:35 am
21A

For those with this status: Does it show "Preferred Plus" under the member number after logging into SPG.com? I signed up a AAA member for SPG, through the Join Now link at http://starwood.com/aaa - but they were never asked for AAA number and the account just reflects "Preferred Guest".
Old May 2, 2005, 4:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Yes, it should. I'm a Preferred Plus here in Canada and when I log in at SPG.com, I go to my account in the main menu and at the upper right corner it should be there. If you do not see it call AAA and they will add it for you.
Old May 2, 2005, 5:58 pm
21A

Just got it sorted over the phone and the account now shows "Preferred Business Guest". Go figure. I think this is an alternate wording of the same thing.
Old May 2, 2005, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Preferred Plus = Gold without the 50% bonus on points earned at SPG hotels.
Old May 2, 2005, 9:23 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
It's not a bad deal if you aren't a Gold or Plat already and you are a CAA/AAA member. You can get marginally better rates at properties - sometimes better than the "Best Available" rate. Additionally, technically, the card does say that you can be upgraded to a preferred room providing there is availability. Now, that can wildly vary from property to property but it has been useful many times for me. I'm currently "going for Gold" (I know the Plats are chuckling as I speak) this year only for the extra *points - not necessarily for any potential upgrades.
Welcome to the world of "Minimalist Status."
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:18 pm

SPG Preferred Plus?

I was waiting for my SPG Platinum card, but today in the mail received a new SPG PREFERRED PLUS card. Huh? I was not even aware that there is a PREFERRED PLUS level. Is it under GOLD?

I assume it's a mistake on their part... I have emailed them asking for a replacement.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Has anyone derived any benefits from this? One of my colleagues is Preferred Plus (I think by virtue of his SPG AmEx card) and he says the only real benefit is the late check-out. Occasionally, he says he gets an "upgrade" to the Preferred Floor.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 5:55 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...preferred+plus

Preferred Plus is this minus "More Starpoints"
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I've been a Gold member for several years now, but this year is the first that I haven't gotten a Gold card, but rather received the Preferred Plus. Didn't Gold membership used to come automatically with the Amex card? (I always assumed I was Gold for this reason)
Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by srodr
I've been a Gold member for several years now, but this year is the first that I haven't gotten a Gold card, but rather received the Preferred Plus. Didn't Gold membership used to come automatically with the Amex card? (I always assumed I was Gold for this reason)
There's a lot of confusion on this - I think that this was the case when the program was ITT Sheraton...
Old Mar 31, 2006, 8:12 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Choice Priveleges Gold, Club Carlson Silver, Wyndham Rewards, UMP, DL, ANA
The SPG Amex only comes with Preferred Plus status now.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 6:17 am

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Sounds like the only difference between Gold and Preferred Plus is 3 Starpoints vs. 2 Starpoints on hotel stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.