Wiki Posts
Search

We're ready for your arrival email

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

We're ready for your arrival email

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever contacted the GM listed in the "welcome" email you get prior to your arrival to ask about an upgrade. If so, have you had any luck? I see that there are upgrade rooms available and am contemplating emailing the GM to see if we could get upgraded. Any thoughts or other approaches suggested? Thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
What would you be telling the hotel that they don’t already know? Surely they realise that all their guests would appreciate an upgrade all of the time?

I’m now getting Marriott “check in online to access your benefits” emails before stays, which is ironic because it seems to me I would be less likely to get good upgrades if I were to check in online.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
What would you be telling the hotel that they don’t already know? Surely they realise that all their guests would appreciate an upgrade all of the time?

I’m now getting Marriott “check in online to access your benefits” emails before stays, which is ironic because it seems to me I would be less likely to get good upgrades if I were to check in online.
I was just wondering if you don't get what you don't ask for--does it ever help to reach out or do you just take the "whatever" approach. The notice I've gotten about checking in on my mobile app tells me it doesn't make any difference how I check in regarding an upgrade. Are you suggesting there is a difference?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

I learned the hard way that things like late check-out were available only with the app. I had to stay in a random TownePlace Suites a couple years ago, and the front desk agent had no idea what late check-out was, just that check-out time was whatever o'clock. But if you requested 4 p.m. on the app, it came through! I assume/hope that won't be the case with the "guaranteed" late check-out now but who knows.

Originally Posted by crsshiplover
I was just wondering if you don't get what you don't ask for--does it ever help to reach out or do you just take the "whatever" approach. The notice I've gotten about checking in on my mobile app tells me it doesn't make any difference how I check in regarding an upgrade. Are you suggesting there is a difference?
I'm in the camp of reaching out when I have a specific thing I want. (I'm also in the camp of offering and expecting to pay for it -- if it's an upgrade I'm after for a specific purpose, usually I would much rather negotiate something in advance than play the lottery. Sometimes the property will happen to offer it for free. Usually nothing major will be confirmed in advance -- but I've gotten requests for a certain view, etc., confirmed in advance. And once the Westin Times Square confirmed me into the specific suite I wanted, complimentary -- but that was very unexpected.)
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by crsshiplover
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever contacted the GM listed in the "welcome" email you get prior to your arrival to ask about an upgrade. If so, have you had any luck? I see that there are upgrade rooms available and am contemplating emailing the GM to see if we could get upgraded. Any thoughts or other approaches suggested? Thanks.
I have, once in a blue moon per se... I realized it wasn't really necessary given my SPGLTP status. Not sure what status you have if any, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try, as long as you're nice.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:14 am

I stayed at the St Regis Singapore a couple of days ago. Through the app I requested a 10am check-in and 4pm check-out. As I had no internet once I arrived in Singapore I didn't know whether the upgrade was confirmed at physical check-in or once check-in had been processed by the hotel prior to my arrival, but the app did give me a notification of the upgraded room once I had WiFi at the hotel.

Anyway, what was very good, was that the hotel had a room (upgraded one category - no Jnr Suite available) ready for us, even when we turned up at 9.20am (we arrived very early in the morning!), and confirmed our check-out could be later than 4pm if we wanted (I booked under Amex FHR to guarantee the late-check out due to a 9pm flight anyway). Was also informed that the key is coded to open the room until 6pm for Amex FHR bookings).

So in summary, I don't see the harm in checking in with the app, especially if you need an early check-in and late check-out!
xar likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by KiwiMarmion
I stayed at the St Regis Singapore a couple of days ago. Through the app I requested a 10am check-in and 4pm check-out. As I had no internet once I arrived in Singapore I didn't know whether the upgrade was confirmed at physical check-in or once check-in had been processed by the hotel prior to my arrival, but the app did give me a notification of the upgraded room once I had WiFi at the hotel.

Anyway, what was very good, was that the hotel had a room (upgraded one category - no Jnr Suite available) ready for us, even when we turned up at 9.20am (we arrived very early in the morning!), and confirmed our check-out could be later than 4pm if we wanted (I booked under Amex FHR to guarantee the late-check out due to a 9pm flight anyway). Was also informed that the key is coded to open the room until 6pm for Amex FHR bookings).

So in summary, I don't see the harm in checking in with the app, especially if you need an early check-in and late check-out!
Just out of curiosity, did you already combine accounts (if applicable), before checking in?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Just out of curiosity, did you already combine accounts (if applicable), before checking in?
No, I'm a mere Gold (via Amex Platinum) and have nothing in the Marriott program so have not bothered. Plus my account doesn't show correct information yet so will ride it out.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KiwiMarmion
No, I'm a mere Gold (via Amex Platinum) and have nothing in the Marriott program so have not bothered. Plus my account doesn't show correct information yet so will ride it out.
Hmm. Well, glad it worked out for you.

Don't hate on me for putting this out there... but it might be possible that the removal of 4PM LACO for Gold Elites hasn't been realized at all properties yet? (or perhaps it was your Amex FHR kicking in?)
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
FHR gives a guaranteed (unlike Virtuoso) 4 pm checkout regardless of (lack of) status. It's also explicitly just a one category upgrade if available, unless the special property amenity is upgrade confirmed in advance, early check in guarantee, etc.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

I have 2 recent examples with Marriott where I was pre-upgraded to suites, did OLCI for my suites and was assigned a regular room by the front desk. OLCI means nothing!
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:48 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
I did OLCI via my app 3 days before my arrival.
On the actual date, the app sent me a notification at 7am (!!) that my room was ready.
I headed to the property at around 8am and checked in.
Didnt get an upgrade since an "upgraded" room (assumed suite) wasn't ready! Of course I did not say "Fine, i'll wait" but decided to accept and move on.
They did invite me to the lounge for breakfast on the check in day too though which was nice surprise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.