Wiki Posts
Search

C&P rate went up after merger/update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
C&P rate went up after merger/update

I made a C&P hotel reservation on starwoodhotels.com on Aug 17th for the 6000 points + $110 rate (Cat 5) for 2 nights. I received a confirmation email with the cash portion listed as $110 + tax.
However in reviewing the reservation after logging into my account today, the cash portion is listed as $140 + tax.
Is this a merger/update error and do I need to call reservations to have this fixed? The stay is coming up in a few weeks.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
This has always happened with SPG when categories changed. The website shows the new rate, but you will only have to pay the originally quoted rate.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This has always happened with SPG when categories changed. The website shows the new rate, but you will only have to pay the originally quoted rate.
So this hotel used to be SPG Cat 5 (12k-16k/night or 6k + $110). Now post-merger, it is Cat 5 (35,000 points), which hasn't changed much. I can't check what the new C&P on a new reservation would be because this hotel rarely releases C&P rates. However are you saying the new C&P rate is probably 18K points +$140 post-merger, but when I check in, I will only be charged the original $110 per night?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
Your confirmation email will show the rate prior to the new change, and this is the one that should and will stand. Just don't lose that email!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Time traveller
However are you saying the new C&P rate is probably 18K points +$140 post-merger, but when I check in, I will only be charged the original $110 per night?
Correct.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Interesting fact is I have another reservation where the hotel was reserved as a pre-merger SPG Cat 5 C&P stay (6000 points + $110) and continued to stay at Cat 5 post-merger (35,000 points) and the rate did not change. It is still showing $110 + tax per night for the cash portion.

So it doesn't make sense that the first reservation went up from $110 to $140. Both of these properties did not change Categories and transitioned from SPG Cat 5 to post-merger Cat.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
I just saw a crazy c+p price.
it was something like $140 + 30k pts
and the CASH ONLY price was $148 for a pre-paid stay.

Is this right, or is the system being goofy post merger?
I looked at a different property and it shows availability at $150 something a night. I click on it to book and it says the property is sold out. I redo my search and the property is showing availability again.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stant

I looked at a different property and it shows availability at $150 something a night. I click on it to book and it says the property is sold out. I redo my search and the property is showing availability again.
I don't know if they have published an official C&P price list for the different categories post-merger. It seems with former SPG properties, C&P is still available if the property releases inventory, but former Marriott hotels still do have have the comparable C&P rates.

Even before the merger, I have seen some cash only rates that were not fairly close from the C&P rates. Since C&P rates were fixed and the cash only rates vary depending on inventory, this often happened during low occupancy.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by stant

Happens all the time. I've seen cash prices below the cash portion of C&P.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Happens all the time. I've seen cash prices below the cash portion of C&P.
Yes, and that's when paying cash is the smart thing to do. I nevere book all points or C&P without checking cash rate for best value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.