Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Official Announcement: SPG and Marriott Programs to Merge on August 18th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Announcement: SPG and Marriott Programs to Merge on August 18th

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Expect them all to roll together, so keep calling where you've been calling, keep using the URL you've been using. As long as you have two different accounts, I suggest using marriott.com for MR and spg.com for SPG, not that it should matter much. I suspect they will retire the spg.com URL sometime down the road.

And, don't expect the migration to be over much before Monday morning.
Thanks. I thought they were going to merge the accounts and give us a new membership #?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by andreiz
Thanks. I thought they were going to merge the accounts and give us a new membership #?
No, they are merging the programs this weekend and we will continue to have two accounts (MR & SPG) on the same system. Later, we will be asked to pick one of the accounts to survive and move the data from the other to that account. Then your second account should go away. Keep reading FT, especially posts from those that have jumped early to see if there are any pitfalls. UNLESS your merged data will bump your status, there is no harm in keeping the two accounts for now.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:16 pm

Hi , I have a small concern . If no one has an answer I imagine I'll find out any way before long . I booked seven night hotel + flights without specifying a hotel . Do you think I'll be able to trade the seven nights for more airline points after the change over or is it unknown at this point . Thanks !
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
No, they are merging the programs this weekend and we will continue to have two accounts (MR & SPG) on the same system. Later, we will be asked to pick one of the accounts to survive and move the data from the other to that account. Then your second account should go away. Keep reading FT, especially posts from those that have jumped early to see if there are any pitfalls. UNLESS your merged data will bump your status, there is no harm in keeping the two accounts for now.
Merged accounts is the only way I can achieve Platinum 50 by the end of the year, so...
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by andreiz
Merged accounts is the only way I can achieve Platinum 50 by the end of the year, so...
That's fine, I'm betting all accounts will need to be merged by year end. When will you have the combined 50 nights and when is your next stay after that? If it's not until say October, then hold off merging your accounts would be a safe thing to do. The decision is yours.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:33 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I have a 35,000 (SPG points) one-night award redemption booked for a Starwood property for later this year. Am I correct in assuming that, after Aug. 18 I'll be able to convert it to a 60,000 (new Marriott points) stay, with the balance of 45,000 (new Marriott points) refunded into my account? And if I can't do that and decide to cancel the stay, will there be any problem getting 105,000 (new Marriott) points refunded into my account?
This is my understanding of how it will work. I have made bookings accordingly.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Dalo
Hi , I have a small concern . If no one has an answer I imagine I'll find out any way before long . I booked seven night hotel + flights without specifying a hotel . Do you think I'll be able to trade the seven nights for more airline points after the change over or is it unknown at this point . Thanks !
No. You could not do this before and you will not be able to do it after the change. You could historically change the hotel cert to a different category. Sometimes Marriott allowed a redeposit of the hotel points but it was at a significantly lower rate where the cost of purchasing the airline miles without the TP would be subtracted and the small balance remaining could be redeposited but under the legacy numbers you might get back 60k MR points which will net you 40k airline miles. You would be changing seven free hotel nights for a domestic coach r/t which hardly seems worth it, and that is assuming it is even allowed.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Do I need to transfer my SPG points -> Marriott account on August 18 or will that be done automatically? If not automatic is it an instant transfer online?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Do I need to transfer my SPG points -> Marriott account on August 18 or will that be done automatically? If not automatic is it an instant transfer online?
Asked and answered many times. Read upthread.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:08 pm

Asked and answered many times. Read upthread.
Specifically, in post #1 .
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Boraxo
(hey, that didn't take much longer than "RTFM". And it was helpful....)
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: United
Refused Amex Starpoints

I have several Amex SPG cards and like clockwork amex transfers my points monthly and SPG accepts them the same day.

Until merger time.

I have confirmed with 3 separate calls to Amex they transferred as normal points from my personal card on 8/9 to partner SPG and on 8/12 for my business card.

This represents over 120k points.

However these points did not show up in my SPG account, after several calls, and email exchanges I was told to contact a manager at SPG. The manger carol after an extended delay confirmed that on instruction from Marriott SPG would not accept the points from Amex.

It would seem this is an attempt to defer acceptance until post combination purely to avoid paying the property 3 to 1 conversion.

Anyone else have this experience check your totals and contact me please. Here or direct at [email protected]

Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
My iPhone just auto-updated the SPG (and Marriott) app.

I got a new SPG number (but not the Marriott number which is unchanged) and my points tripled. So far so good.

I'm less amused that the new account does NOT show that I qualified as Plat based on SPG stays (min 25). In contrary, it shows that I need a substanitial number of additional nights, according to the new policy, which however should only kick in in 2019 ... as discussed here!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
As expected I'm now Platinum Elite due to Marriott due to United (I was Gold until yesterday). Not that it did me any good on this stay as I'm checking out in 20 minutes.

But my SPG numbers are tripled and the number looks correct.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
As expected I'm now Platinum Elite. Not that it did me any good on this stay as I'm checking out in 20 minutes.

But my SPG numbers are tripled and the number looks correct.
Do you have the same or different numbers for points showing in the SPG and MR apps?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.