Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Do you get upgrade privileges as Gold if room bought with points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Sorry if this is already covered, but I just purchased a room at the W with points and I'm a SPG gold by way of AMEX plat. Do we still get the available upgrade?

Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Brian Chen
Sorry if this is already covered, but I just purchased a room at the W with points and I'm a SPG gold by way of AMEX plat. Do we still get the available upgrade?

Thanks
You do realize that an "upgrade" in the sense that most folks think of an upgrade, isn't a benefit of SPG Gold. Rather, you're entitled to an "enhanced" room, in the same category that you purchased, at the time of check-in.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...language=en_US

But yes, that benefit, if available at check-in, is also granted when booking with points.

Regards
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
You do realize that an "upgrade" in the sense that most folks think of an upgrade, isn't a benefit of SPG Gold. Rather, you're entitled to an "enhanced" room, in the same category that you purchased, at the time of check-in.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...language=en_US

But yes, that benefit, if available at check-in, is also granted when booking with points.

Regards
Oh...I never knew that...well I'm not going to complain about a better view but that's very good to know. I must have been confused with Delta where if you purchase flights through points you don't get upgraded.

Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Oh...I never knew that...well I'm not going to complain about a better view but that's very good to know. I must have been confused with Delta where if you purchase flights through points you don't get upgraded.

Thanks
Certainly, there are some SPG properties in the world that will occasionally treat Golds better than the terms and conditions dictate (particularly outside the U.S.) but if staying at a popular property I'd set your expectations very, very low on the upgrade front as a Gold.

Regards
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:54 pm
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass

Thanks
Delta allows complimentary medallion upgrades on award tickets, as of October 2016. You are lower on the list than people who have paid, but for less busy routes or if you have high enough status your upgrades should clear
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:55 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by leemaj
Delta allows complimentary medallion upgrades on award tickets, as of October 2016. You are lower on the list than people who have paid, but for less busy routes or if you have high enough status your upgrades should clear
... and the October 2016 change applied only to Silver Medallions becoming eligible for upgrades on award tickets. Gold and higher already got upgrades on award tickets prior to that date
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Paying for a room with points gets the same status benefits as a room paid with cash.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:52 am
Original Poster

I'm learning so much thanks everyone. It's also my first honeymoon too. When I called to book it, they actually asked if I was celebrating something special. Perhaps they put that in when I answered
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I'm learning so much thanks everyone. It's also my first honeymoon too. When I called to book it, they actually asked if I was celebrating something special. Perhaps they put that in when I answered
How many honeymoons are you planning on?

You can also search that properties master thread for "gold" and you may be able to get some idea whether the hotel upgrades gold members.
Fizzer likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spgplat21
How many honeymoons are you planning on?

You can also search that properties master thread for "gold" and you may be able to get some idea whether the hotel upgrades gold members.
Ha I'll start with one and go from there lol
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Since it's your honeymoon, I'd suggest biting the bullet and booking a specialty suite (the kind SPG members can't get upgraded to) for at least the first night.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daniellam
Since it's your honeymoon, I'd suggest biting the bullet and booking a specialty suite (the kind SPG members can't get upgraded to) for at least the first night.
Honestly still reeling from the wedding costs

But you're probably right

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.