Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAA rate vs SPG Amex Plat member rate?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

AAA rate vs SPG Amex Plat member rate?

I am planning a trip to Greece this Sep 2018. I have no points except for the status (gold) thanks to Amex Plat. However I did apply for the New Marriott Rewards Premier to pay for this and get the bonus. I like to visit Athens,Paros (not sure if there is a Marriot or SPG ),and Crete but, would love your input in terms of what rate would be most beneficial . I do love breakfast but would also like to maintain a decent budget so that I can balance areas where I need to splurge vs saving.

Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens and Blue Palace, A Luxury Collection Resort And Spa, Crete

Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Look at the terms carefully.

Are these rates refundable? What is the cancellation policy?

Are there versions of these rate plans that do include breakfast, and if so, is it continental, cold buffet, full buffet, room service allowed, etc.?

IME many hotels offer some SPG rates that are refundable and some that are not, where the former is almost always more expensive. AAA rates tend to be refundable and have cancellation deadlines about two days (this varies) before arrival.

I don't know what a SPG AmEx Plat member rate is, but I assume that both hotels are in FHR. However, the FHR rates require a regular (unaffiliated) AmEx Plat or Centurion charge card, not the SPG AmEx credit card (of any color).
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for taking the time. I will definitely look into the terms .
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond
Since you now have the Marriott credit card and have some points for your trip, I’d recommend checking the cash & points rate for the hotels you mentioned Sometimes that can be a good value. Also, in August when the Starriott hotel categories & points required are readjusted for the new combined program, check to see if there’s any decrease in the points price for hotels you’re interested in. Also, if you book a refundable paid rate that seems reasonable, you can keep checking to see if a better rate becomes available. (I believe I’ve read that Marriott lets you make an award night booking even if you don’t have enough points yet, but please check the accuracy of this info since I’ve never done it.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.