Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Problems/Experience with non-Plat checking in first?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,

Hi all,

My wife and I will be travelling to D.C. in a few weeks. I'm Plat, wife is 0 so I'll be making the reservation. My wife and I are flying in from different cities and her flight arrives hours before mine and she'd like to go to the hotel to relax. Anyone ever had issues with this? Do I just add her name to the reservation and put a note in the comments? Should I present myself at the front desk when I arrive? Thanks for any help!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Do I just add her name to the reservation and put a note in the comments? Should I present myself at the front desk when I arrive?
Back in my Platinum days, I did all these things and never had a problem.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:52 pm

I call the hotel and ask them to add wife's name to the reservation. The property may deny her all the plat benefits until you show up.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:59 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by myko85
I call the hotel and ask them to add wife's name to the reservation. The property may deny her all the plat benefits until you show up.
also they will require a credit card from her so you need to make sure it is an spg card or when you arrive have them run your card and take hers off the account.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
As others said, call the hotel and 1)add the wife's name to the reservation and 2)have them note that she will arrive first. I've had this done many times with guests and it is not a big thing. But, we do need her name on there - we don't want an angry wife to say she is staying there when the hubby is showing up with someone else!!!!
If you do not want her to put down a credit card prior to your arrival, contact the hotel and set up a 3rd party credit card authorization; that way the Front Desk will use the card you gave and not have to get one from your wife. It isn't good enough to say 'use the card I gave when I booked - it has to be a formal process (at least at every hotel I've worked at, including Starriott).
Yes, I would stop by the Front Desk when you arrive. It serves 2 purposes: 1)you can check that the credit card is correct and verify which Plat bennie you want and 2)let the Front Desk know that you aren't scamming by booking under your name for your wife so she can get benefits she isn't entitled to receive (yes, it happens - spouse with Plat books but has no intention of showing up).
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by abk
also they will require a credit card from her so you need to make sure it is an spg card or when you arrive have them run your card and take hers off the account.
Why "make sure it is a SPG [credit] card"? There's no requirement to have or use a SPG credit card to get Plat benefits.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:22 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why "make sure it is a SPG [credit] card"? There's no requirement to have or use a SPG credit card to get Plat benefits.
For the points at least for me.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Thanks all! Felt like a newbie all over again, but I've never before had the occasion to arrive at a destination after my wife! Thanks again for all the advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.