Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Those of you with large SPG points balances - what are you doing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Those of you with large SPG points balances - what are you doing?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does anyone know how the combined program is going to compensate hotels for award nights? SPG had a formula that greatly increased the payment when the hotel was (almost) full, so that hotels weren't terribly unwilling to give available standard rooms as award nights. I don't know what Marriott's policy has been on this, but I suspect it's different.....or maybe the MR program is just less willing to pay significant amounts of cash to hotels for our free nights, so that the capacity controls are imposed at the corporate level rather than by individual hotels.
Marriott's "No Blackout" was nothing like SPG, so they didn't really need to worry about this as much. As long as some nights were made available sometime, properties met the policy. So 50% occupancy with awards during peak week couldn't happen.

I doubt anyone who knows the future compensation policy is going to post it here.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by aero0729
Converting to Marriott Reward points are actually a great deal! Nothing to lose...
All of which goes away in 3-4 months. Don't get overly excited (or pessimistic) until we have details.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/United 1K
I have 11 million SPG points right now and another 3 million Marriott points. I actually think new program isn't that bad and until August, it's really great. Right now, Marriott hotels are well undervalued - the Ritz Carlton in LA should be more than the Meredian in Santa Monica. The new awards chart should increase rates at Marriott, and keep them steady for SPG. Not sure how the in season/out of season will shake out however.

My only real disappointment is the SPG Amex, which will get 2 points instead of 3. I'm actually getting as many SPG points as a I can right now, and then will likely switch cards to something else and wind down my SPG point balance as I get free nights. I like having an 8 figure balance, and will miss it .
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's an amazing number of Starpoints.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:33 pm
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
May I ask as to how one acquires 11m SPG points? Convert over to 36m MR points, lol--that's amazing.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:51 pm

Lots of SPG Amex Spend. In fact, I earned nearly 2 million SPG points last month alone!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:52 pm

Proof! Had to wait until my 5th post to post a photo!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lincoln841
Lots of SPG Amex Spend. In fact, I earned nearly 2 million SPG points last month alone!
Manufactured spending?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Manufactured spending?
Nope, just run a small business. We spend a lot, but only make a little
rogo and kennycrudup like this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by jdang
Its the same if you transfer after August 1st though, so no idea why you want to transfer it all before August 1st. Only thing that might change is the Marriott Vacation package.
Has there been any sort of confirmation that the travel packages are remaining unchanged after Aug 1? Or were you referencing to no change in direct transfer to airline miles?

Last edited by pentiumvi; Apr 30, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Old May 1, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I have 11 million SPG points right now and another 3 million Marriott points. I actually think new program isn't that bad and until August, it's really great. Right now, Marriott hotels are well undervalued - the Ritz Carlton in LA should be more than the Meredian in Santa Monica. The new awards chart should increase rates at Marriott, and keep them steady for SPG. Not sure how the in season/out of season will shake out however.

My only real disappointment is the SPG Amex, which will get 2 points instead of 3. I'm actually getting as many SPG points as a I can right now, and then will likely switch cards to something else and wind down my SPG point balance as I get free nights. I like having an 8 figure balance, and will miss it .
11 Million Starpoints?! What do you do with all those points? Unless you travel a ton, wouldn't cash back be better?
Old May 1, 2018, 8:59 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Check into a Cat 1 room for 14 years on Awards and on check-out get appointed Diamond Ambassador for life.
ajamieson, jrm68, paolo64 and 1 others like this.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope, just run a small business. We spend a lot, but only make a little
thats because your margin is being killed by charging stuff on spg amex.. but you get tax free spg points
Old May 1, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, SPG LTG, UA Silver, AA Gold, Hertz 5*
I am going to transfer my 200k SPG points to Marriott and probably purchase one or 2 of those 7 day vacation packages. United and Alaska seem to have the easiest redeeming for saver international flights. If you are looking for some nice 7 night packages, I like the level 5 Renaissance in Sao Paulo (seems typically to run $200+ for a night during weeknights) and also the Marriott Bangkok (with the roof bar) as a level 5. I am debating using points Vail Marriott and/or Hong Kong JW which both typically are over $200+ per night.

I don't see this as a win for anyone. Without competition there is no need to improve
Old May 1, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Had about 330k SPG points and just redeemed 40k for 2 different moments experiences. Good value for the points and happy to treat mom and dad for a fathers and mothers day gift from SPG.

Will keep them and just transfer them over. I usually buy AA, Avianca, even UA miles sometimes, thus won't transfer them into FF programs. Have over 650k UA and 600 AA, 155k JAL, 90k Avianca, 80k Avios so I'm FF somewhat rich right now as a single person. Thus will hoard my SPG points and use them judiciously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.