Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Online Petition to Marriott - Recognize SPG LTP with MR LTPP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online Petition to Marriott - Recognize SPG LTP with MR LTPP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Originally Posted by stimpy
Are you sure about that? I too was an SCI member, although I can't remember that far back if I had a different number or not. I now have a 9 digit SPG number. But we DID receive our Sheraton and Westin nights pre-Starwood on our lifetime totals. I was also a Westin member. Back when Lifetime began, there was a thread about it here that noted that all our nights previous to Starwood were counted. I even recall getting something from Starwood showing those pre-Starwood nights I had.

I agree that you should be placed in the highest tier. But we don't need to jump off any bridges just yet! I'm comped to Hilton's top tier Diamond, which is nice when I need a Hilton. But I certainly prefer SPG hotels and Platinum treatment as it exists today in most cities. Or IC's, which are even better at their high tier.
Hi I don't believe they go back past 2003 with point accumulation? Our master statements stop on points in 2003. If I am incorrect, please advise.
Thanks
Canada101 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:39 am

This is what SPG responded with
"Thank you for your reply.

I have looked into this further and I understand where the confusion lies. Obtaining Platinum with the Marriott's loyalty program has higher requirements to obtain Platinum than our Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum. Marriott Platinum members are being grandfathered into this Premier Platinum Elite status. That being said when your accounts are combined if you have met the requirements that match that of what Marriott Platinum members had to meet to obtain the Premier Platinum Elite status you will also be grandfathered into this status as well. No one will be able to achieve this after the loyalty programs have been merged. I do apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

Mr. sfallsflyer, I hope you have a wonderful day.
Best Regards,
xx
Associate, Platinum Starwood Preferred Guest

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, LLC"
The answer implies that SPG members with >750 nights and >667k points will be LTPP come August, which would seem like a fair outcome.

This is the worst part of the whole experience - lots of misinformation floating around and we aren't sure what to trust or not. I hope the MR team clarifies the situation as soon as possible.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by mk89103
The answer implies that SPG members with >750 nights and >667k points will be LTPP come August, which would seem like a fair outcome.

This is the worst part of the whole experience - lots of misinformation floating around and we aren't sure what to trust or not. I hope the MR team clarifies the situation as soon as possible.
I don't think it's a fair outcome given that it ignores some of the factors of SPG's lifetime status that are harder to achieve and the differences in calculating nights between the program. But it's certainly better than nothing, even if I would miss out under that threshold.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by spgplat21
I don't think it's a fair outcome given that it ignores some of the factors of SPG's lifetime status that are harder to achieve and the differences in calculating nights between the program. But it's certainly better than nothing, even if I would miss out under that threshold.
Harder is in the eyes of the beholder. I think it is fair to say that achieving LTP in either MR or SPG was not easy and trying to discern which one was harder doesn't really do much good.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Canada101
Harder is in the eyes of the beholder. I think it is fair to say that achieving LTP in either MR or SPG was not easy and trying to discern which one was harder doesn't really do much good.
The major difference is that MR Plat is at the 75 nights per year level and was always the top published level, while SPG Plat required only 50 nights or 25 stays per year. SPG LTP gives PlatMinus, which has three higher published levels above it (Plat50, Plat75, and Ambassador).
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
SPG LTP gives PlatMinus, which has three higher published levels above it (Plat50, Plat75, and Ambassador).
Please GMAB...enough with the PlatMinus already they are all Platinum, there are just add'l benefits added at the 50/75/100 night levels, they are NOT "higher published levels". Literally no one else on this forum calls it that.
phltraveler likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by mk89103

Hmmm sounds like they would match SPG LT activity against MR thresholds. But you are right too much misinformation floating around.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The major difference is that MR Plat is at the 75 nights per year level and was always the top published level, while SPG Plat required only 50 nights or 25 stays per year. SPG LTP gives PlatMinus, which has three higher published levels above it (Plat50, Plat75, and Ambassador).
But then you are presuming people stop staying once they hit the top tier. Maybe the status hunters do and go on to get status elsewhere. Here again, using the numbers and NOT the status is the way to measure one's loyalty. Just because you got status once you hit the lowest requirement does not mean that's all you're worth.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Canada101
I agree, sorry I meant harder aspect not necessarily harder overall. Why make SPG LT PLTs subject to Marriott's night requirement but not make MR LTPs subject to SPGs 10 year requirement? SPG doesn't have near the footprint Marriott does so imposing the night requirements of a program with a property literally everywhere shouldn't be automatic.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by stimpy
Are you sure about that? I too was an SCI member, although I can't remember that far back if I had a different number or not. I now have a 9 digit SPG number. But we DID receive our Sheraton and Westin nights pre-Starwood on our lifetime totals. I was also a Westin member. Back when Lifetime began, there was a thread about it here that noted that all our nights previous to Starwood were counted. I even recall getting something from Starwood showing those pre-Starwood nights I had.

I agree that you should be placed in the highest tier. But we don't need to jump off any bridges just yet! I'm comped to Hilton's top tier Diamond, which is nice when I need a Hilton. But I certainly prefer SPG hotels and Platinum treatment as it exists today in most cities. Or IC's, which are even better at their high tier.
Originally Posted by puntamita
Hi I don't believe they go back past 2003 with point accumulation? Our master statements stop on points in 2003. If I am incorrect, please advise.
Thanks
My spg number is the same as my SCI number with 7 digits. I started SCI earlier than Westin, so I chose to use SCI as my SPG account.

The spg nights shown in my account starts 1999, it does not include any Sheraton or Westin nights. My account clearly indicated that my Sheraton and Westin nights are not included, even though they were the reason I was made a Gold member in 1999, the first year of SPG.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
My spg number is the same as my SCI number with 7 digits. I started SCI earlier than Westin, so I chose to use SCI as my SPG account.

The spg nights shown in my account starts 1999, it does not include any Sheraton or Westin nights. My account clearly indicated that my Sheraton and Westin nights are not included, even though they were the reason I was made a Gold member in 1999, the first year of SPG.
IIRC, it has always been clear that Sheraton Club nights were not included in the LT count once SPG was established. However, in your case it makes it all the more crazy for you to be potentially excluded from the top tier going forward. In respect of genuine long-term loyalty what more do these people want?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by spgplat21
I agree, sorry I meant harder aspect not necessarily harder overall. Why make SPG LT PLTs subject to Marriott's night requirement but not make MR LTPs subject to SPGs 10 year requirement? SPG doesn't have near the footprint Marriott does so imposing the night requirements of a program with a property literally everywhere shouldn't be automatic.
Personally I'd be fine with this as I obviously have more than ten years of Plat with SPG (for my LTP status) and also more than ten years of earned Plat status (from over 75 nights each year, solely BiB with no credit card nights, no conference room nights, etc.) with Marriott as well as way more than twelve years with Marriott (which once was a requirement too for LTP).
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
I disagree

Originally Posted by 767300ER
The rest of the integration has been fair and that is the only point who does not make sense...
What doesn't make sense is that before Feb 1, 2012, SPG Plats were perfectly happy with no lifetime status. Now that they're being offered LTP in the new program, that's not enough??? What, exactly, changed that being given LT status didn't matter before Feb 1, 2012 but now it's critical that SPG Plats aren't satisfied with LTP?

If SPG Plats threaten to leave over something this trifle, how often are former SPG members going to threaten to leave in the future? And do you see how this can be construed as a DYKWIA topic?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by itsallgood
I disagree

What doesn't make sense is that before Feb 1, 2012, SPG Plats were perfectly happy with no lifetime status. Now that they're being offered LTP in the new program, that's not enough??? What, exactly, changed that being given LT status didn't matter before Feb 1, 2012 but now it's critical that SPG Plats aren't satisfied with LTP?

If SPG Plats threaten to leave over something this trifle, how often are former SPG members going to threaten to leave in the future? And do you see how this can be construed as a DYKWIA topic?
... and there was a time MR did not offer LT status, your point here? I don't think what is being "offered" comes close to matching what has been earned. Yes, if everyone only did the minimum required to make LTP status, then it may be close to fair. However, I think there are enough SPG LTPs that have exceeded what the typical MR LTP has done and yet there is no equivalent status possible due to arbitrary lines being set. Setting our status based upon the numbers in our accounts (even though even that's not complete in either program) is better than just going by the color of our card. Sounds pretty short-sighted and scares me that will the future of the MPG program.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by itsallgood
Endlessly repeating the same (likely false) claim doesn't make it any more true

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.