Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott LTPs should have gotten LTP - not LTPP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott LTPs should have gotten LTP - not LTPP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I just requested my master statement from SPG and after taking out all the noise, I earned 2,536,184 points and had 636 nights over 11 years. And just counting stay earnings I was at 652K points. So even if I just charged the stays and nothing else on the credit card, I would have been over the 2MM points requirement. Even just including the sign-up bonus would have pushed me over the edge. I actually think it would be very difficult to have 750 nights at SPG as a platinum member and not get to the 2M point equivalent under SPG. I'd be curious to know if any SPG member that has looked into it has 750 nights and didn't meet the 2MM point equivalent.

So yes, after putting pen to paper, I do think the 2MM points requirement is significantly easier than the 10 year requirement. That said, l still think both are hard and should have been rewarded equally in the new program.
So if lifetime status is important to you, why didn't you put those stays/points etc to a program that offered a better lifetime program? Whatever the reason, that's probably Marriotts reason for not giving folks like you a higher lifetime status.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
So if lifetime status is important to you, why didn't you put those stays/points etc to a program that offered a better lifetime program? Whatever the reason, that's probably Marriotts reason for not giving folks like you a higher lifetime status.
Lifetime status is important, but it's not the most important thing. In any event, I don't think there should be any debate which program offered a better lifetime program before the merger talks. Marriott's benefits were OK, but weren't up to the level of SPG or Hyatt until the merger. So now that MR LTPs lucked into some better benefits as a result of the merger, I think its disingenuous to now say, tough break SPG folks you should have been smart like me and been with Marriott from the beginning.

I think the rationale for the mapping is pretty clear in that they tried to create a night equivalency between the programs. Marriott status was 75 nights, so lifetime platinum with Marriott gets mapped to the 75 night level, gold was 50 so it's mapped to the 50 night level. I think there are a number of reasons why that's the wrong answer, and I can understand some of the reasons for why that was the right answer. But the programs were different for multiple reasons (size and coverage, % of limited service properties, price points, international presence, etc.) so ignoring those differences for status mapping seems off to me. I'm not going to storm away and take my business elsewhere over it if they don't reconsider and map LT SPG platinum members to platinum premier, but it is still upsetting to be told that arguably the same amount of loyalty to SPG is valued less than loyalty to Marriott.
X-ON, UA-NYC, Canada101 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
Even if Marriott doesn’t qualify me for LTPPE (I have over 750 nights and 2 million points), I would never choose to go back and give up the amazing 11 Plat years I have enjoyed with Starwood. The unbelievable upgrades I’ve had at so many aspirational properties on my relatively inexpensive BRG rates make me feel like I’ve led a charmed life. Can you say the same?

Honestly, the more time goes by, the less I care about LTPPE.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Even if Marriott doesn’t qualify me for LTPPE (I have over 750 nights and 2 million points), I would never choose to go back and give up the amazing 11 Plat years I have enjoyed with Starwood. The unbelievable upgrades I’ve had at so many aspirational properties on my relatively inexpensive BRG rates make me feel like I’ve led a charmed life. Can you say the same?

SPG was the program to go with. Been top tier in Marriott, Hyatt and HHonors - SPG was by far the most superior program - and I have tons of great memories and experiences thanks to it. From an amazing suite upgrade at the Gritti to the Westin Suite (about a 3rd of the top floor) at the Westin Atlanta during a $100 or so a night stay. No regrets for my SPG loyalty whatsoever.

I still do care about LTPPE though. No idea how many SPG points I have over lifetime - but I wouldn't be surprised if I had 2 million actual SPG points
Canada101 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)

As I've often said on this forum, upgrades don't matter much to me when I'm traveling on my own but when I'm with family on our annual vacation(s), that's when I generally hope that Starwood does its thing...and it does. Upgrades like the Governor's Suite at the Westin Grand Cayman a few years ago was just so wonderful and confirmed in my mind that my loyalty was worth it. I don't regret my loyalty to Starwood one bit. Starwood has been good to me and I have been loyal because of that. What does that mean? It means staying at Starwood hotels even when it is not the best option (like driving 60 miles out of my way to the nearest Starwood property for a business meeting). It means using my influence to ensure my team stays at a Starwood property. To be perfectly honest, I'd love to be equally loyal to Marriott.

LTPPE to me isn't about the extra points or the 48-hour guarantee. It's about the principle of fairness and the fact that it is really the first time that Marriott has an opportunity since the merger to look at my personal loyalty and define it for their purposes. Ultimately, they may decide that my loyalty doesn't actually equal that of Marriott's own LTPs who are being grandfathered into LTPPE. That's clearly their prerogative. I do feel that they have been bending over backwards to be fair for the past couple of years and I'd hate to think that this is where they would want to start drawing the line.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Canada101
LTPPE to me isn't about the extra points or the 48-hour guarantee. It's about the principle of fairness and the fact that it is really the first time that Marriott has an opportunity since the merger to look at my personal loyalty and define it for their purposes. Ultimately, they may decide that my loyalty doesn't actually equal that of Marriott's own LTPs who are being grandfathered into LTPPE. That's clearly their prerogative. I do feel that they have been bending over backwards to be fair for the past couple of years and I'd hate to think that this is where they would want to start drawing the line.
Fully agreed - it's beyond simplistic to say "we just want something we can't have." If the company decides that one group isn't worthy of the "better" benefits despite many of them likely being "better" customers" based on the same qualifying criteria...that's their choice, but it's also a very clear signal that maybe such future loyalty isn't warranted.

As to the cries of "where are you going to go"...free agency can be a wonderful thing, as many flyers have discovered the last few years. While I still "date" UA, I am no longer "married" to it as a result of a lot of its actions (and have enjoyed far better biz class flights on OALs as a result). I'd welcome the chance to stay at more niche / unique / boutique properties, and it's easier to do so opportunity cost-wise if the ties to the new Marriott going forward are weaker.
Canada101 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Canada101
As I've often said on this forum, upgrades don't matter much to me when I'm traveling on my own but when I'm with family on our annual vacation(s), that's when I generally hope that Starwood does its thing...and it does. Upgrades like the Governor's Suite at the Westin Grand Cayman a few years ago was just so wonderful and confirmed in my mind that my loyalty was worth it. I don't regret my loyalty to Starwood one bit. Starwood has been good to me and I have been loyal because of that. What does that mean? It means staying at Starwood hotels even when it is not the best option (like driving 60 miles out of my way to the nearest Starwood property for a business meeting). It means using my influence to ensure my team stays at a Starwood property. To be perfectly honest, I'd love to be equally loyal to Marriott.

Don't take it personally.
Canada101 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't take it personally.
I really don't. Ultimately, this is a business decision.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I just received this gem from customer service (if this is from the horse's mouth, then it is indicative that Marriott views us as lower caste LTPs. If that is the case I am out. Moving to Mandarin Oriental/ Peninsula/ Aman. If they view us this way and don't factor in that some of us stayed over 750 nights, earned well in excess over 2 million points... then they don't value my spending). Before I was relatively ok with them giving Marriott higher status to placate their long-term loyal members but if it is because they truly believe our spending requirements less...

"Thank you for your email regarding your Starwood Preferred Guest account and Lifetime Status.

I can certainly understand your frustration regarding the differences between the statuses for Starwood Preferred Guest and Marriott Rewards Lifetime members. To earn Lifetime Platinum with Starwood Preferred Guest a member requires 500 eligible nights and 10 years of Platinum status. Congratulations on earning this status! For Marriott Rewards members, the requirement is 750 nights and 2 million points. Due to the difference in requirements, we wanted to be sure to provide all our members with similar benefits to their previous program.

Based on your stay history, it appears that you have stayed upwards of 75 nights in the past. With the new combined program, 75-100 nights will earn you Platinum Premier Elite status for each year you meet this goal.

I will certainly document your concerns. We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback regarding the merging of the programs and look forward to welcoming you with the new program this summer.
XXX, I hope that you have a great weekend.

Best Regards,

Amy XXX
Associate, Platinum Starwood Preferred Guest
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, LLC"

Last edited by SHLTP; Apr 29, 2018 at 4:40 pm
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All that drama for Your24 benefit and 25% bonus on the years when you don't reach 75 nights?

I guess I didn't find the email as offensive as you did.
slowly, Canada101 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:58 pm

All that drama for Your24 benefit and 25% bonus on the years when you don't reach 75 nights?

I suspect it's more about the principle than the exact number of points or benefits. At least that's the case for me. SPG made me feel like a first class citizen which is why I stuck with them despite intense competition from Airbnb, Inspirato, and other hotel chains. Maybe that seems silly, but isn't it what great loyalty programs are all about? Otherwise you just boil it down to a % of cash back and a basket of mostly frivolous benefits.
UA-NYC, Canada101 and SHLTP like this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, the drama is worth it. Like the poster above, I have been incredibly loyal with Starwood over the years with butts in bed, directing employees to stay at Starwood, and in total money spent. I did not qualify via stays or ever use BRGs which might account for our differences in feeling.

It is the principle.

I couldn't care less about the actual benefits as I can barely discern the difference between LTP and LTPP's benefits (20% more points, 48 hour something, who cares really?).

Fortunately for me I don't really care about money at this stage in my career. But I do care about being recognized for my loyalty and spending. That is what is troubling by the corporate note that makes it seem the Marriott side was harder to get than the SPG side. I worry they will treat me accordingly as a lower caste because they obviously view us as lower caste.

Don't you think a GM or Rooms mgr will go out of their way to treat a LTPP better than a LTP? I would if I saw the designation and did not know the underlying spend and story.

It is because SPG always treated me as the loyal customer that I was that made me so incredibly loyal - recognition in a way the so-called top properties cannot do like an Aman as they do not have an active tracking system as good at SPG. As I have written previously, I see little in the actual concrete benefit differences and it did not bother me if they had the extra Marriott tier to placate their loyal guests.

But when it is clear they view attaining Marriott LTP as harder that SPG then we run down the rabbit hole where we by definition won't be treated as the top, most important guests anymore on a property. Aside from upgrade priorities, will they go out of their way still to show appreciation for loyalty?

I will give examples where they recognized my loyalty that are non monetary, benefit based:

1) I had breakfast with the head of Asia a while back, and it came up where I was staying in coming month w family. The GM and pretty much the entire exec team of every single property met my family and me personally when we checked in (knowing my child's name and preferences). The head of Asia had told them I was coming.

2) Two properties (Luxury Collection Koh Samui and Le Meridien Chiang Mai) recently made incredible personal gifts (one a cake, one a chocolate), highlighting a professional milestone that they had to intentionally search out. Publicly known event by why would staff in Thailand know this? It was incredible. I have never seen anything like that. The care they put in was gratifying. You cannot buy that. They only did it because they viewed me as one of the top SPG loyalists in the world.

3) The breakfast team at one property (Athenee Luxury Collection) recognized I liked to sit in one table at breakfast after 3 mornings. Literally every time I go back there they book the same table for me in advance for breakfast. The mgt team had trained the whole staff to recognize my loyalty. I had a minor minor problem there and mentioned it to a club lounge agent. Twice the duty managers over separate days sought me out at the lounge and pool to make sure things were rectified and offered comped meals (which I turned down) as I was appreciative of them searching me out.

Thus, next week I am in Bangkok for business. I have to be at the Mandarin Oriental one night because of business partners but I am then switching to Athenee afterwards for 3 nights.

I couldn't care less about points, freebies or anything like that. I do care about properties going above and beyond what is expected because they know I have qualified through spend and loyalty and butts in bed for that status. If I am automatically a layer below other spenders that I have no way of achieving (for example I cannot begrudge an ambassador status person getting more benefits in that year if I have not qualified as they have spent more and earned it), that makes me less loyal.

I stayed at the Conrad in Singapore over St. Regis last week because of this. I will still stay at Starwood at properties I know and love, and expect to be treated well, but I will not shy away from staying at other chains in the future. For example, I am staying at the JW Marriott in London next month which I already booked at a non-transferrable rate. Next time, I might just stay at Rosewood or one of the properties BHRUBIN recommended because why should i be loyal if they are not to me?
Canada101 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT

While I agree that the benefits are not worth the fuss, I can see where the underlying statement is bad and the email is offensive for a few reasons. The person who wrote the email didn't seem to try to even understand the issue or worse, tried to fool the poster. The poster was addressing LT status but the rep replies with information about annual status. Either the rep doesn't know the difference or is intentionally trying to avoid answering the question. The rep also tries to explain benefits by explaining qualification parameters, which are, again, two different issues. The rep either doesn't know or is trying to be deceptive here, too.

Originally Posted by SHLTP
... Two properties (Luxury Collection Koh Samui and Le Meridien Chiang Mai) recently made incredible personal gifts (one a cake, one a chocolate), highlighting a professional milestone that they had to intentionally search out.
Although it is no surprise that the hotel would know, FWIW the Bangkok Ren had this waiting for me when I checked into the hotel on my birthday. There was a bar of white chocolate with my name that was removed.

Birthday Cake

BTW, having been PP for several years, P before and after and LTP now, to answer one of your questions, no, I do not expect and GM to treat LTPP any different than LTP. While I understand the inherent slight, I truly believe LTPP is an empty title created so that Marriott LTPs would not think they were lumped in with present LTGs. So many of us know that PP has always meant nothing but an empty title and do not expect anything to change on that.
Canada101 likes this.

Last edited by CJKatl; Apr 29, 2018 at 6:43 pm
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl

BTW, having been PP for several years, P before and after and LTP now, to answer one of your questions, no, I do not expect and GM to treat LTPP any different than LTP. While I understand the inherent slight, I truly believe LTPP is an empty title created so that Marriott LTPs would not think they were lumped in with present LTGs. So many of us know that PP has always meant nothing but an empty title and do not expect anything to change on that.
This! I don't expect it will make any difference any more than it does now. A few years ago, I checked into Sheraton Macao with a friend. My SNA cleared and I got the suite that the SNA had booked me into. My friend with lesser status and no SNA (both there for 2 nights) got a suite that was 2-3 times bigger than mine. There are lots of similar examples in this forum. I don't expect things to change.

I enjoy Starwood properties so much that I plan to continue staying there. I expect to have 75-100 nights/yr. I will never spend $20K on hotel rooms, so ambassador level is not possible. Besides, I've had an absent ambassador for the last 3 years who managed to miss a milestone birthday and when I became LT Platinum. Thankfully the hotels didn't! I don't care about Ambassador tier.

I will earn PP every year. When I start staying less than 75 nights/yr, I think I can handle the 25% reduction in points accumulation.

Honestly this whole thing has become so ugly and polarizing that I really don't want any part of it anymore.
Canada101 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:34 pm

Honestly this whole thing has become so ugly and polarizing that I really don't want any part of it anymore.
I'm somewhat feeling the same but it just irks me that an MR LTP with whom I have at least the exact same loyalty profile (LTP + 750+ nights + the equivalent of 2MM MR points) is grandfathered into a status above my own and to which I am blocked from ever obtaining. I'm not taking it personally and I believe I've tried not to be overly dramatic about it but I can't not just "let it go".
UA-NYC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.