Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Time to start planning a divorce with Starwood (Starriott).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Pardon me if this seems too early for this sort of thread to start,But is anybody else actively thinking about shifting loyalty to other programs with the upcoming merger of programs? especially those that offer status matches and would reward Plat Lite type elites with better rewards/recognition?I am a plat lite, but have been working hard toward my LT Plat status. To date, I have 8 years as plat and 873 nights. Most of the nights have been on my own dime (Holidays, visiting friends/family) as my work does not involve much travel.If the rumored details of the new program turns out to be true (or even remotely true), the status I will get as LT Plat will not mean very much value. No Lounge, No Suites, "Maybe" Breakfast at "Some" properties and "Earlier" late checkout than what I have become used to.If you too are in a similar boat as I am, what programs would you look to consider? I am not keen on the LT Plat status with Starriott anymore if the value proposition is going to be so weak, even though I have spent so long working towards it. I would much rather go for a program that would continue to reward my loyalty at the level of spend that I am putting in: Around 40 nights per year, across circa 30 stays, mostly at high-end properties (I hardly ever do 4Pts/Alofts unless I must and I have never stayed at an Element).Time to start doing a bit of research I guess? But would be interested to know if anyone else is thinking similar things...
zzap and remymartin like this.

Last edited by jaejaez; Apr 11, 2018 at 1:07 am
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No, not really. Why not wait and see. These status matches are often bit of a mixed blessing, since you can't go after them year by year, and you then presumably have to shift your loyalty to a different program which may also be rubbish. I don't like having the tail wag the dog.
adunker likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Personally I will wait until the full details are released .... officially ... then decide after

if marriott preffered guest still suit my needs then I will continue (the chain will have more options than SPG alone)

if its not then obviously I will select different loyalty program that better suit my needs

Some changes is expected especially merging 2 big programs
unlike LeClubAccor that just simply gobble up Fairmont President Club
whether the changes is devaluing the program, we have to wait until official release
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:40 am

If you are not impressed with Starriott I suggest you move your stays to Marriwood
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: Some
I'm in a somewhat similar boat to you (typically c.50 nights a year at STR / LC / W properties in major cities, often booking above base category rooms) except I have less invested in SPG to date and I'm not as close to LTP. I definitely think you should wait and see what pans out before making any divorce plans as it could turn out to be not so bad.

If it does turn out that's not the kind of customer Starriott wants, I'll be working out if I can make Hyatt work in the locations I'm typically in.
jaejaez likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
I would highly recommend switching your loyalty from Starwood/Marriott to one that has not recently made a significant devaluation to its frequent guest program.

That would be.. ahh.. hmm.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I am with you in around 40ish nights at Westin/LC and the occasional European airport Sheraton. I value the SPG plat benefits (breakfast/late checkout/nice rooms and suites) that I get as a Plat as well as the help I have gotten from the SPG Lurkers on multiple occasions. It does seem like all that is about to end, though from what I have understood about *arriott there are ways to do funny things about reserving conference rooms to get to Plat 75. I am waiting to see how things develop while I travel to my usual hotels in Milan and Paris.

Though I do stay once a year at a 4 points and use my SNAs to get us a double room on the top floor!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
My current travel pattern is around 60 nights / year
mostly at Luxury Collections and St Regises (Thats why if Starriott introduce revenue based qualification I would be verry happy)

So I will see if the PLT 50 benefit (if the name rumour is correct) suit my needs

Stretching the stay to 75 maybe a bit too much although there are cheap moxy nearby
(or arrange a few meetings at nearby courtyard)

At the end of the day, the benefit needs to match the effort
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by kaizen7
My current travel pattern is around 60 nights / year
mostly at Luxury Collections and St Regises (Thats why if Starriott introduce revenue based qualification I would be verry happy)

So I will see if the PLT 50 benefit (if the name rumour is correct) suit my needs

Stretching the stay to 75 maybe a bit too much although there are cheap moxy nearby
(or arrange a few meetings at nearby courtyard)

At the end of the day, the benefit needs to match the effort
Exactly, I'd also be OK with pure revenue based qualification but think that is unlikely to happen - my main worry is Marriott doesn't really seem to get luxury hotels.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I'm a LT Plat staying about 40-50 nights a year. I appreciate the Room/Suite upgrades, lounges, and breakfasts; and occasionally take advantage of late checkout.
The loss of these would send me into "free agent" territory.
I took advantage of a status match to Hyatt a couple of years ago, but ended up letting it lapse since I preferred the SPG hotels/locations in most cities
that I travel to - I think only Jakarta and Singapore were better for me than SPG.

However, I am not taking any action based on speculation, let's wait and see the official announcement.
And I will take advantage of my current LT Plat status as long as I can.
unclepants likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I'm a LT Plat staying about 40-50 nights a year. I appreciate the Room/Suite upgrades, lounges, and breakfasts; and occasionally take advantage of late checkout.
The loss of these would send me into "free agent" territory.
I took advantage of a status match to Hyatt a couple of years ago, but ended up letting it lapse since I preferred the SPG hotels/locations in most cities
that I travel to - I think only Jakarta and Singapore were better for me than SPG.

However, I am not taking any action based on speculation, let's wait and see the official announcement.
And I will take advantage of my current LT Plat status as long as I can.
Me too. Also LT Plat, stay around 50-70 nights a year depending on the year.

If we would lose suite upgrade, breakfast, club lounge access, and 4pm checkout, I don't see why I should even bother. How is that a platinum level?

Waiting for the details.
unclepants and NWAsilvELITE like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Marrioot has some short cuts with credit card nights and the 10 nights booking a meeting room. You can get plat without actually spending a night so dont fret too much.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I'm not ready to plan the divorce yet. I might be googling divorce lawyers and checking the local apartment market in case it becomes necessary, but I'm still waiting to see if the PI I hired has photos...
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Well, I’m not ready to divorce Marriwood just yet. It’s my first bigamous relationship; it felt weird at the start, but normal now. I’ll wait for the ultimatum later this month and then decide.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Gee, friends, SPG works great for me. I've got plenty of nights, but am still one year away from LTP. My PLT suite upgrade is approaching 90% (granted, nearly all of my stays are in SEAsia, there it's quite high) even in higher end properties like StR. At many SPG hotels in SEAsia, and nearly all in Bangkok, I get both the checkin bonus and breakfast. There's a wide variety of hotel types, from 4P/Element/Aloft to StR/LC. I'm not putting the Marriott program down at all I know very little about it. I'll take a detailed look when we see what the new program is; but for now, I'm quite happy with SPG.
Fizzer and Kacee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.