Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Time to start planning a divorce with Starwood (Starriott).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to start planning a divorce with Starwood (Starriott).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm waiting to see what the details are before making a decision. My SPG card annual fee is due in May, and I am on the fence as well about whether to keep the card or just cut it and move on. It will all depend on how much the program is devalued. I'm a mere gold member, but if I lose free breakfasts/lounge access, I'll be upset. The rumor that they'll immediately cut airline transfers also bothers me, but I don't necessarily use starpoints for flights.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
I join SPG since 2013 and aside for the first year that I'm just a Pt50 I've been a Pt75 every year (Pt100 in one of the year as well). I'll have the 500 nights needed for LT Pt by this year end but short of years as Pt...

Since SPG being acquired I've start transfer some of my stay to Accor and get Gold there already... Granted Accor doesn't have a LT status but if the merged program does not suit my travel needs I'm more than prepared to switch program...
jaejaez likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sscywong
Since SPG being acquired I've start transfer some of my stay to Accor and get Gold there already... Granted Accor doesn't have a LT status but if the merged program does not suit my travel needs I'm more than prepared to switch program...
Good luck getting any meaningful benefit out of LCAH Gold, other than a voucher for a cheap beer and late checkout. Even Platinum has very few tangible benefits... Even a much watered down Starriott Plat status would still be vastly superior to the top tier at LCAH.
jaejaez and yurtripper like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by RafKa
Good luck getting any meaningful benefit out of LCAH Gold, other than a voucher for a cheap beer and late checkout. Even Platinum has very few tangible benefits... Even a much watered down Starriott Plat status would still be vastly superior to the top tier at LCAH.
I have to respectfully disagree. As LCAH Gold I've received a presidential suite, which I cannot say I've ever received as SPG Plat.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
I would highly recommend switching your loyalty from Starwood/Marriott to one that has not recently made a significant devaluation to its frequent guest program.

That would be.. ahh.. hmm.
Fans of MO!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I'm SPG LTG and have the nights but not the years for LTP. I'm only going to be Plat-25 this year as my work switched to HH so all my SPG stays are leisure. I'm going to wait to see what the actual announcement says. If it indeed means no guaranteed lounge access, no suites (run about 90% this year at legacy SPG properties and 82% -yep keep a spreadsheet- lifetime), and a 2pm checkout rather than the 4pm I'm used to, I won't try to stay Plat in the future or aim for LTP.

BUT, I also won't be matching with another group. It seems every loyalty program is in a race to the bottom - unless you are an extremely high $$$ client. And, of course, that's their choice. But, I for one, will just start doing with hotels what I do for airlines: Fly whoever I have to for work, and pay whatever I need to for flying where I want to go, when I want to go, in the class I want to be in.

I also can't credibly threaten to leave SPG/Marriott entirely. I love, LOVE, so many of the Design Hotels and Legacy SPG Luxury Collection hotels and some of the higher-end Westins/LeMeridiens (sorry, not St. Regis...can't stand the overly stuffy Victorian-era atmosphere) that I'll still stay at them in their respective cities. I just won't go out of my way anymore to stay at SPG/Marriott.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
No, I don't change programs based on blog rumors. Especially after having been Hilton and Hyatt top tier and seeing what they have/don't have to offer.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
I'm staying put for now. Or more precisely, I'm going to keep frequenting my go-to Starwood hotels where they know me and treat me well. It's hard to put a value on that and even harder to build up that same rapport elsewhere, although I attribute that to the hospitality and culture of the local team rather than Starwood on a macro level.

That said, now is the time to agitate and let Sorenson and his team know that us "rabid" SPG fans will not tolerate a devaluation of our benefits. Divorcing after a devaluation sends a much stronger signal than divorcing now.
jaejaez, miles4CDG and remymartin like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by CPRich
No, I don't change programs based on blog rumors. Especially after having been Hilton and Hyatt top tier and seeing what they have/don't have to offer.
Pickier FTers sneer at Marriott lounge breakfasts, but they beat Hilton's $10 restaurant co-pays.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I am just a lousy SPG LTG which I know is really worth nothing to any hotel chain so I am not expecting much. My best hope/wish is that I will end up with some type of complimentary breakfast AND 4pm late check out - but I know this is hoping for alot given that SPG LTG is really worthless.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: DL Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Singapore Airlines Gold and a bunch of others
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Pardon me if this seems too early for this sort of thread to start,But is anybody else actively thinking about shifting loyalty to other programs with the upcoming merger of programs? especially those that offer status matches and would reward Plat Lite type elites with better rewards/recognition?I am a plat lite, but have been working hard toward my LT Plat status. To date, I have 8 years as plat and 873 nights. Most of the nights have been on my own dime (Holidays, visiting friends/family) as my work does not involve much travel.If the rumored details of the new program turns out to be true (or even remotely true), the status I will get as LT Plat will not mean very much value. No Lounge, No Suites, "Maybe" Breakfast at "Some" properties and "Earlier" late checkout than what I have become used to.If you too are in a similar boat as I am, what programs would you look to consider? I am not keen on the LT Plat status with Starriott anymore if the value proposition is going to be so weak, even though I have spent so long working towards it. I would much rather go for a program that would continue to reward my loyalty at the level of spend that I am putting in: Around 40 nights per year, across circa 30 stays, mostly at high-end properties (I hardly ever do 4Pts/Alofts unless I must and I have never stayed at an Element).Time to start doing a bit of research I guess? But would be interested to know if anyone else is thinking similar things...
I am confused. If you only stay around 40 nights a year, how do you earn 873 nights in 8 years?
schley likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:46 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I am already planning my divorce. I have Hilton diamond anyway so no biggie and worst I can go with cheaper non chain hotels.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SLC 4217
I am confused. If you only stay around 40 nights a year, how do you earn 873 nights in 8 years?
Because I have had a few years where I had heavy travel & secondments to foreign locations where I stayed for 2+ months for each stay.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I think it is too early to plan a Strexit. There is a new rumor thread on the Marriott Board about most benefits gone below Plat75, with LT Plat being Plat50 benefits, but until I see an announcement (and in implementation) I am not taking the time to make any plans.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by sbrower
I think it is too early to plan a Strexit. There is a new rumor thread on the Marriott Board about most benefits gone below Plat75, with LT Plat being Plat50 benefits, but until I see an announcement (and in implementation) I am not taking the time to make any plans.
Agreed, it's all rumor until after Monday.
C17PSGR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.