Search

Platinum Lounge Etiquette versus Abuse

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Platinum Lounge Etiquette versus Abuse

I've been a Platinum member now going on three years and I think have used lounges in enough countries and hotels to think I have seen it all but recently saw something a bit too far? If it didn't directly effect me three days in a row I'd probably leave it alone.

1) Day 1, come back late from office and hungry as I hadn't had lunch either, lounge was busy but not packed, found a seat and went to get my food. Waited for others to move thru the selection, came upon Lambchops ( new and pretty good addition ) watched the guy in front of me take a full plate, my estimate 10+, left it bare. No lambchops for me. I moved on got some beef ( not my favorite ) and a little Paella ( another nice menu add) had wait for the next batch of chops.
3) Next day same guy picked clean the whole paellaa leaving but empty shells, I thought he'd have the courtesy to leave me a few, nope made me wait for the next batch of Paella!
4) 3rd day/last, I was lucky enough to follow him and see him clean up both the Chops and Paellaa right infront of my eyes. This time I had to see was he getting for a family of four. Nope, he was sitting alone proceeded to pull out all the clams and shrimp and then put in to a to-go box, chops all in another big box. Came back got got salad and other stuff and stuffed into a couple more boxes, later walked out with all the food in a backpack.

I often do ask for a small to-go box for some fruit/salad for snack/lunch or take away a bottle of water and coffee, but this guy is taking away food that can feed a family of four or more, LOL. I've debated asking the attendants why they let this go, but could see the desire not to upset us platinum members, but this guy is stretching a bit, no?.

You'd think he'd have the courtesy if he was doing this not to clean up the buffet, after all it is all refilled.

Sorry venting a bit, but amazing what some people will do too, others see such behavior or worse?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Sounds like the guy I encountered at The Diplomat a few years back who rolled in one evening in his sweaty gym clothes and proceeded to empty a rather large bowl of guac onto his plate and eat it with a spoon while standing over guests seated in a couch. When they brought out another bowl to replace the damage he'd done, he tried it again and the staff shut him down.

Some folks probably shouldn't leave home...
estnet and Silver Fox like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
And I love lambchops...what property?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
Personally, I am a snacker.....I like Lunch and Dinner....so lounges for me are mostly drinks and a snack, never a "Meal". My Aunt and Uncle, Seniors, use the lounges for dinner as they claim they are not too hungry.....or are they cheap? Not sure. I have been to lounges from Sydney to NY to Shanghai and I have seen pretty much everything. People leaving with full plates of everything....Cleaning out the buffet with no thought to others. I have also seen people with their bare feet on the furniture and using their dirty fingers to reach into chafing dishes, coughing all over the food, letting their kids scream and run and put their hands on everything. It is a entitlement, people think they deserve it and paid for it....and sometimes I find it just over the top.....but I've learned to let it go...cannot change anyone but ourselves. That said, I feel your pain. Safe travels! NYC
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:14 pm

Saw someone last summer in the Marriott M Lounge roll his massive cooler into the lounge near the mini fridge. Fill up his cooler about 3/4 the way with Soda, Water, and Beer. Then just walk out! He basically took 3/4 of the contents in there. Probably a total of 15-20 drinks. Two other people and I looked at each other like that just happened!

To me that is excessive! I do have a cheap buddy that travels and stays in about 3-4 hotels a night for work in his state. He will go up to the M lounge about 6 times a stay. Grab as much water and soda as he can. So he is getting about 10 free sodas and 10 free waters a stay. Equals to about 30 free bottles of water and 30 free can's of soda. He said he did the math and is probally saving his family about $1,100 worth of free drinks a year!
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
lounge = supermarket for free...

over all the years I have seen enough and even to much...

​​​
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
If he sat in the lounge and ate the food then I would say fair enough (even if a little excessive) and the lounge should ahve replaced the food. As he proceeded to remove the food from the lounge and not eat it then I feel he is well out of order and such behaviour should not be tolerated.
JackE likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:22 am

Yes, awful. But isn't it the case that we remember these episodes because they are rare. 99.999 it's just normal people having a pleasant time.
One newish trend that doesn't please me....seeing people go to the buffet, choose something and then proceed to eat it standing there contemplating what to have next ( and picked up with the same hand to mouth fingers). Awful behaviour.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by paolo64
Yes, awful. But isn't it the case that we remember these episodes because they are rare. 99.999 it's just normal people having a pleasant time.
I wish that were my experience. It's gotten particularly bad in Asia, with families literally wiping the buffet clean.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by NYCtraveler
Personally, I am a snacker.....I like Lunch and Dinner....so lounges for me are mostly drinks and a snack, never a "Meal". My Aunt and Uncle, Seniors, use the lounges for dinner as they claim they are not too hungry.....or are they cheap? Not sure. I have been to lounges from Sydney to NY to Shanghai and I have seen pretty much everything. People leaving with full plates of everything....Cleaning out the buffet with no thought to others. I have also seen people with their bare feet on the furniture and using their dirty fingers to reach into chafing dishes, coughing all over the food, letting their kids scream and run and put their hands on everything. It is a entitlement, people think they deserve it and paid for it....and sometimes I find it just over the top.....but I've learned to let it go...cannot change anyone but ourselves. That said, I feel your pain. Safe travels! NYC
At the Marriott Fallview, the concierge lounge was full of seniors who were dressed up as if they were going out for dinner. I think they were making the evening appetizers into dinner. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with seniors doing this. I personally think its cute and adorable.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by Kacee
I wish that were my experience. It's gotten particularly bad in Asia, with families literally wiping the buffet clean.
At least in Asia, they enforce only allowing one guest into the lounge and most don't all you to take food or drinks away.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I would have an issue with these kinds of people that seriously clear out the spread. I would let the management know its kinda ruining it for the rest of the guest.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
At least in Asia, they enforce only allowing one guest into the lounge and most don't all you to take food or drinks away.
I'm not sure which lounge you're referring to. But it's common to allow entire families access. Most recent experience with this was RC Hong Kong.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
How do you know he was Platinum? Was he waving his card around? There is no such thing as a "Platinum Lounge". Status is only one method of getting into the lounge.

Yes, some people are thoughtless. It's something you have to accept.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:45 am

I'm having difficulty with all this negative behavior being attributed to "seniors' As a senior, neither I nor my friends ever behave this way. BUT, I could write a book about millennials and thirty somethings. Bottom line, the comments can be made, without the age references.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.