Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Least offensive/best recommended *wood hotel at LAX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat

I have to do a one-nighter near LAX before a morning flight. What are the current *woods to avoid or ones to book? I also have status at Hilton and Hyatt, so I have all 3 to choose from. I don't need fancy - coming in around 10pm and leaving for the airport at 8am. I just want clean, well-kept, quiet, safe, and frequent shuttles to LAX.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
They're all basically the same. To me, it's all about price. You should also consider the Marriott properties there. On my last overnight there, I booked the Renaissance.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
The Westin charges the most it seems, then LAX Gateway, then 4 points, then Aloft (although a little farther).

Aloft has free parking IIRC, I like 4 points as it is close and has waived parking for me as a plat on occasion.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I haven't been to that Aloft but I've been to the Sheraton and the Westin many times, and would choose the Sheraton easily over the Westin, even at a slightly higher price. That Westin is, IMHO, one of the worst in the chain.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I like the Sheraton Gateway. They're very good about upgrading Plats and the corner suites are really nice.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:40 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I think I wrote a slightly lukewarm review of the Sheraton Gateway after staying there, but some months later it strikes me as one of the better airport hotels out there (admittedly not a high bar).
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:37 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I'd agree with the posters who say there's no major difference between the various LAX hotels. On a low price day, you may be able to get the Sheraton/4P/Westin at $100-120 and earn 2k bonus points via BRG; on a high price day, you may see posted rates of $250 (and certainly points categories reflect those high price days). I've stayed at all of them over the years, and I don't think there's a clear winner -- I'd probably rank Hyatt/Sheraton > Westin/CP > 4P/others, but if you're just there for 6 hours of sleep, I would just pick the cheapest.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by jpdx
I'd agree with the posters who say there's no major difference between the various LAX hotels. On a low price day, you may be able to get the Sheraton/4P/Westin at $100-120 and earn 2k bonus points via BRG; on a high price day, you may see posted rates of $250 (and certainly points categories reflect those high price days). I've stayed at all of them over the years, and I don't think there's a clear winner -- I'd probably rank Hyatt/Sheraton > Westin/CP > 4P/others, but if you're just there for 6 hours of sleep, I would just pick the cheapest.
Thanks all! I have what my mom called "champagne taste with a beer pocketbook." If a room gives me the creeps, I can't stay in it. Last one with that was the Marriott Salt Lake City back in January. A LONG time ago I stayed at the Westin there, the only thing I remember was being awakened by a fire alarm at about 3am. I had two former co-workers do task force at the Gateway and told me enough stories to keep me away from that one.

You all gave me enough to think about.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:35 pm

I wasn't a fan of the rooms with big window to the hallway but like the 4 points because I usually rent from budget. Return the car the night before and use the 4 points shuttle to get to the airport.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by slidergirl
Thanks all! I have what my mom called "champagne taste with a beer pocketbook." If a room gives me the creeps, I can't stay in it. Last one with that was the Marriott Salt Lake City back in January. A LONG time ago I stayed at the Westin there, the only thing I remember was being awakened by a fire alarm at about 3am. I had two former co-workers do task force at the Gateway and told me enough stories to keep me away from that one.

You all gave me enough to think about.
I didn't mind the Westin LAX at all.
But only commenting here on your Marriott SLC experience to add that the Sheraton in SLC is worse. Won't stay there again (I just did to complete a promo). Hyatt properties in SLC are decent enough.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Stayed at the Sheraton Gateway about a month ago. Clean, comfortable, quiet. Lounge was spacious and comfortable. As a Plat, upgraded to an executive suite which was very nice. Frequent airport shuttle. Would recommend this property.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:47 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
"Least Offensive" perhaps one should clarify what is offensive or what is desirable.

I've stayed at both the Sheraton and FourPoints, I'd say both are convenient and suitable for a one night. The Sheraton a bit closer, has a lounge, nothing special, was recently remodeled. For a night price/convenience for me would be the priority.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: SPG Plat and Lifetime Plat DL Gold HH Diamond
About half of my SPG travel lately has been to LAX due to a project there, so I've got experience with all the properties. None are amazing, some are better than others.

Taking a cue from your original post, the 10p in and 8a out timing is tricky and although normal hotel quality rules should apply to your choice (along with price), LAX is a nighmare to drive around for both private cars and hotel shuttles. With that in mind I'd offer up the following choices in somewhat order:

Sheraton - physically closest to terminals and walkable if necessary. Shared shuttle with Joe's parking makes the shuttles often crowded but you benefit from substantial frequency, seems like every 10 minutes or so. Hotel itself is fine, quiet, suites can be a little quirky in design but sizeable. the SPG lounge gets really crowded in the morning and I don't think they do a good job (or any job) policing who enters. Shuttle in the morning is always super fast and available.
Westin - Further out, nothing that would make be choose it over Sheraton, a bit dated property. Has more limited shuttle, usually 2 to sometimes 3 buses running at once. I've waited as long as an hour for a shuttle and have complained vociferously to management in the past about this. Problems continue.
Four Points - Similar shuttle experience as with the Westin (same shuttle provider in both cases). Dated property that while generally clean is just tired. If you're a beer geek, the bar has an amazing beer selection if that's your thing.
Aloft - Newest property, but well off airport. Shuttle runs every 30 minutes so just get a cab at a cab stand (vs. Uber/Lyft which will take a while to get to you due to the traffic). If you've been to an Aloft, it's like all the others, off airport, so quiet and there is a Ralph's and shopping center across the street. Shuttle to the airport is timed, so plan accordingly or Uber/Lyft which is easier to get on the departure from the hotel. The Aloft is probably a 10 minute ride to/from LAX, a bit more if you're leaving/arriving at T6/7/8.

It's been too long since I've been to the Marriott properties to be of any help with those.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Again, thanks all. I was hoping there was a shining "star" out there (pun intended). I first thought of the 4P because it is the cheapest at the time but recent reviews this month on the 4P site show issues with heat. I have 2 former co-workers who task forced at the Gateway and told me they were afraid at times (both women) at night going to/from the property, so coming there late at night was a concern for me.
I have a no-win situation: arriving at Union Station downtown at 9pm, flight out of LAX the next morning. Staying downtown and fighting rush hour is a non-starter. That's why I'm doing something near LAX. Maybe I'll just put all the names in a hat and draw one!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:28 am
JBD

H Hotel Los Angeles, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-CA}

Originally Posted by slidergirl
I have to do a one-nighter near LAX before a morning flight. What are the current *woods to avoid or ones to book? I also have status at Hilton and Hyatt, so I have all 3 to choose from. I don't need fancy - coming in around 10pm and leaving for the airport at 8am. I just want clean, well-kept, quiet, safe, and frequent shuttles to LAX.
You may want to check out the new shiny H Hotel. (I don't have first hand experience there, but I've been impressed by what I've read)
https://www.hhotellosangeles.com/

Here's its thread in our HH Forum: H Hotel Los Angeles, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-CA}

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.