2017 SPG Hotel Highs and Lows

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
2017 SPG Hotel Highs and Lows

I thought it would be nice to review the highs and lows of the past year for those of us who stay most often at SPG hotels. Perhaps we can do this at the end of every year.

For me,

THE HIGHEST (totally exceeded even my super high expectations!)

Hotel Imperial Vienna (Oct 2017): This hotel stay was near perfection and joins our list of 13 all-time best hotel stays of all time (which includes Singita Boulders, Amanjiwo, Amangiri, Amankila, Gritti Palace Venice, La Residence Franschhoek, Peninsula Shanghai, The Upper House Hong Kong, St Regis San Francisco, Cavas Wine Lodge Mendoza, Cayo Espanto Belize, Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur, . Incredible service, incredible upgraded Imperial Suite for us and Elisabeth Suite for my mother. Historic and beautifully classic design. Amazing sense of place and era. The hilarious toilet in the hallway. A random invite to a wonderful piano concert to start us off. Tremendous F&B. Incredible concierge. Amazing bar. Loved the hotel even more than the city. Sublime.

St. Regis San Francisco (Nov and Dec 2017): Another of my 13 all-time favorite hotels just continues to treat us like incredibly valued family guests in a luxury home. My favorite city hotel in the USA without question. Always upgraded to my favorite upgraded Metropolitan Suite--with the extra installed blackout shades just for me (installed Dec 2016). Incredible welcome amenities, and even allowed us to bring our 110 lb Rhodesian Ridgeback, Macallan, despite their weight limit of 35 lbs. Impeccable service, several complimentary Bentley car transfers, wonderful F&B, amazing bar, extremely comfortable stay as usual. Already booked for 4 more stays in 2019.

THE HIGHS (definitely exceeded expectations)

St Regis Bahia Beach Puerto Rico (Feb 2017): Really impressive and comfortable stay in a beautiful location for a splurge on a work trip, with wonderful upgrade to very comfortable and spacious St. Regis Suite, wonderfully friendly service and excellent F&B, excellent beach, and a very fun private cabana day by the pool with my friends and clients. Lack of adults-only pool is only weakness, but that didn't detract from my lucky experience. Wishing everyone in PR a speedy recovery from Maria...and quick re-opening.

St Regis Rome (Oct 2017): Wonderful but not yet renovated junior suite on award stay. Spectacularly beautifully renovated public spaces, excellent service with a few misses, wonderful F&B, great concierge, and surprisingly wonderful location within walking distance of more sights than expected. Surprisingly smooth stay despite the ongoing room renovation. Can't wait to return to see how the renovated rooms/suites look after seeing the tremendous public spaces!

Prince de Galles Paris (Oct 2017): Hosted surprise birthday dinner for my husband here, upgraded on award to spectacular Makassar Suite, while mother upgraded to next door deluxe room. Suite is one of best we've ever had, though air con wasn't excellent. Service and F&B were particularly fabulous, location wasn't our favorite but wasn't an impediment. Really had a tremendous stay despite not loving the location and having weaker air con than I'd prefer.

St Regis Houston (Dec 2017): Surprisingly very enjoyable and extremely comfortable stay in upgraded Astor Suite, despite the dated Texan decor. Really impressive service and F&B and almost perfect location for me. Surprisingly looking forward to my return next year!

SLS Beverly Hills (June 2017): Tremendous F&B and service in a well located hotel that is about to undergo renovation (and needs it!). Upgraded suite was dark, oddly laid out, and uninviting, but the staff and service really made me want to come back. The Bazaar and Saam are my favorite restaurants in Los Angeles.

The Nines Portland (Aug 2017): Incredible one night stay in excellent location, with amazing upgrade to The Nines Suite, huge and beautiful suite with amazing space, decor, and views, but weak air con. Service and F&B truly to a very high standard.

W Westwood/Los Angeles (Nov 2017): Another great stay. Even with air con issue, hotel went out of its way to make me happy until finally fixed the air con. Always upgrades me to nice suite. Great service, excellent food/beverage, love the location.

Sheraton Hartford South (March/April 2017): Surprisingly very comfortable Sheraton with extremely impressive restaurant/food and beverage, excellent service.Plans for many more stays here in 2018.

The Gwen Chicago (Dec 2017): Very impressed with this as a proper luxury option in Chicago via SPG. Finally! Great decor, great service, great bar, great food/beverage, nice location. Love this hotel. Nice upgraded junior suite.

MIDDLE OF THE ROAD--

W Boston (April 2017): Excellent hard product and location with quite the expected scene on weekends, but some service misses and F&B misses for a single night stay gives me pause. Returning for service recovery upgraded suite in 2018, so time will tell. Cautious.

Le Meridien Arlington (March/April 2017): Tried and true solid hotel offering usually at good rates relative to DC. Good location in Rosslyn with slight views across river. Always treats me well and upgrades me as Plat100 and SPG Pro. Food and beverage have REALLY improved in the last year. A very unfortunate mishap with staff walking into my room. Still a very reliable hotel that treats me very well even if it isn't perfect.

Le Meridien Cambridge (March/April 2017): Usually very reliable good hotel in quieter location that I love. Had problems with air con in my suite, so had to move to Presidential Suite. Handled well, but surprising food and beverage issues in restaurant, though room service is still great.

Sheraton Philadelphia University City (March/April 2017): Very reliable good hotel in great location for my business meetings. issues with internet and restaurant offerings, issues with clock in room, all unfortunate. Always upgrades me to suite. Construction ongoing for too long. Hoping that will be done next visit!

Westin Charlotte (April 2017): Reliable solid hotel with adequate food/beverage and usually great service. Nothing special, rare upgrades, but solid.

Westin Richmond (April 2017): Reliable solid hotel with good food/beverage and nice rooms. Odd location in research park area is convenient for others perhaps.

THE LOWS--

St Regis Dubai (Feb 2017): Great hard product largely ruined by so many service and F&B miscues as to be incomprehensible. Management response was weak, thought they did rebate half my room rate (can't believe they didn't comp the single night). This and StR Washington are unquestionably my poorest St Regis stays of all time. I wouldn't return until I saw consistent improvement in service ratings.

Sheraton Times Square New York (March/April 2017): Small, unimpressive room amidst a huge hotel monstrosity. No water in room. Air con subpar. I really wasn't fond of this property due to its massive size, the massive elevator chaos on the ground floor, and the sheer bureaucracy of the place. But good location. Service was a mess through phone, but the bellmen were wonderful.

St Regis Washington DC (April 2017): Very dated hard product in upgraded Junior Suite...with just as unimpressive soft product in all areas. Air con fail, F&B fails, service fails, when will it end? Only saving grace was friendly manager visiting from StR SF who knew me and handled things very well. But incomprehensible level of failures. The hotel needs a renovation BADLY, too. Avoid at all costs until they renovated and then get their ship in order. Probably the worst StR stay I've ever suffered.

The Liberty Boston (Apr 2017): Beautifully chic clubby hotel with excellent F&B and location...but massive suite air con fail matched by pitiful management response. I love this hotel..and yet cannot return until they fix the air con and there's new management. Pitiful GM who should know better, in particular.

Westin Sydney (May 2017): Screw-up on room assignments compounded by English language issues and air con failures galore. The room was fine but dated, hence the coming renovation according to management. Management tried hard but really failed for our visit. I would choose another hotel in Sydney.
unclepants and 1readyset2go like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 2, 2018 at 5:40 pm
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:29 pm
Community Director Emerita

High, exceeded expectations
Hotel Kazbegi, Stepsaminda, Georgia - I yearn to return to this hotel. It's unlikely I will. It's just too remote. But oh, I want to. It's all about the view. And the great hand the designers had in creating a comfortable mountain ambience inside. I loved looking over the Caucasus mountain range. It was breath taking. The hotel itself is a stunning redo of a former Russian sanitarium with the exterior still brutalist architecture. I don't believe the hotel has suites, and it is a Design Hotel, so no upgrades should be expected. Still, we were given a larger room in the corner of the hotel. Much of the ground floor is an exceptionally comfortable sitting area that has a wall of glass so you can see the mountains during daylight hours.

Caresse Hotel, Bodrum, Italy
We were upgraded to a beautiful large suite overlooking the sea. The General Manager is doing a terrific job running the property. When he learned we were disappointed at insufficient Turkish dishes on the menu, he had the chef create a special four course meal for us.

High
Rooms Hotel, Tbilisi, Georgia
- I like this more for the local character than for the individual room. The same designers redid this property as well as the Kazbegi. I believe it was the Pravda printing offices some time ago. The hotel is in an interesting neighborhood and offers many spaces within it for lounging and for food.

St Regis Saadiyat Island Abu Dhabi
We were upgraded to a suite facing the water. The decor didn't have any particular character. Breakfast was expansive and delicious. I was impressed when the concierge, on a training program from Brazil, walked with us to show us precisely where a restaurant was in the adjacent shopping area.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
High - Palacio del Inka, Cusco, Peru. Fantastic historic property for a family vacation, in a great city.

Lows - any number of generic business hotels - they all blend together at some point.

I was also disappointed by the DC StR, but that wasn't 2017.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
compounded by English language issues
What kind of English language problems in Sydney?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by CPRich
What kind of English language problems in Sydney?
Feel free to read the service section of my review

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...rbishment-1945

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 5, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Highs
- The Augustine (Prague) - probably one of my top 5 fave SPG stays. Just an amazing property.
- Westbury (London) - amazing location, SNAs cleared for 3 days, great meals & Plat treatment
- Sheraton Grande (London) - never went to it pre-reno, but was very impressed...LC/StR-level finishings

Lows
- Westin Boston Waterfront - textbook example of why I hate CC hotels...massive, bland design, indifferent service, most over-inflated Starbucks pricing I've ever seen
- The Gwen - while a great property, had some major service issues & what I believe was an incorrect room designation. I will return in September though and look forward to a better stay.
- Magnolia (Denver) - major construction that I wasn't aware of, but will give them another chance to see how it's been restored. Still, unless they re-do the rooms, they do feel old, my bathroom was tiny.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
St. Regis San Francisco (Nov and Dec 2017): ... even allowed us to bring our 110 lb Rhodesian Ridgeback, Macallan, ....
^ ^ ^ You have to be a dog person to understand fully how wonderful this is!

Prince de Galles Paris (Oct 2017): ... upgraded on award to spectacular Makassar Suite, ....
... as was I on my award stay over Memorial Day weekend in May, 2017. But is there more than one Makassar Suite? While some have written about how spacious it was, I can honestly say that it appeared that the bedroom had been built around the bed, with less than a yard/meter from any point on the bed to the adjacent wall.

The Liberty Boston (Apr 2017): Beautifully chic clubby hotel with excellent F&B and location...but massive suite air con fail matched by pitiful management response. I love this hotel..and yet cannot return until they fix the air con and there's new management. Pitiful GM who should know better, in particular.
FWIW, as a random piece of information, the owner of The Liberty is an interesting fellow who also owns the Charles Hotel in Harvard Square, among others. Dick Friedman.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
St Regis Saadiyat Island Abu DhabiI was impressed when the concierge, on a training program from Brazil, walked with us to show us precisely where a restaurant was in the adjacent shopping area.
Very impressive, indeed!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
... as was I on my award stay over Memorial Day weekend in May, 2017. But is there more than one Makassar Suite? While some have written about how spacious it was, I can honestly say that it appeared that the bedroom had been built around the bed, with less than a yard/meter from any point on the bed to the adjacent wall.
There actually are 18 Makassar Suites at the Prince de Galles Paris: Starwood Hotels & Resorts

I’d be willing to bet that ours was among the largest. It was more like a (very well designed) one bedroom Parisian apartment. You can see the bedroom photos in my review: https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-and-stay-2199

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 3, 2018 at 12:40 am
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Deleted.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 3, 2018 at 12:40 am
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
HIGH: Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho

I have always had great experience at luxury collection properties, and my stay this past year at Prince Gallery was no different. The property was crown jewel, literally, and the staff catered to my every need, no matter how busy they were. I enjoyed my stay thoroughly, and it was beyond memorable.

LOW: Westin Bonaventure LA

Roach found in the bathroom, coffee maker never cleaned after use by the previous guest (?). I have been in Cat1 properties better than this Westin.

Overall, a lot of good to really good stays. SPG continues to meet and exceed my expectations, for the most part.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
I thought it would be nice to review the highs and lows of the past year for those of us who stay most often at SPG hotels. Perhaps we can do this at the end of every year.

For me,

THE HIGHEST (totally exceeded even my super high expectations!)

Hotel Imperial Vienna (Oct 2017): This hotel stay was near perfection and joins our list of 13 all-time best hotel stays of all time (which includes Singita Boulders, Amanjiwo, Amangiri, Amankila, Gritti Palace Venice, La Residence Franschhoek, Peninsula Shanghai, The Upper House Hong Kong, St Regis San Francisco, Cavas Wine Lodge Mendoza, Cayo Espanto Belize, Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur, . Incredible service, incredible upgraded Imperial Suite for us and Elisabeth Suite for my mother. Historic and beautifully classic design. Amazing sense of place and era. The hilarious toilet in the hallway. A random invite to a wonderful piano concert to start us off. Tremendous F&B. Incredible concierge. Amazing bar. Loved the hotel even more than the city. Sublime.

St. Regis San Francisco (Nov and Dec 2017): Another of my 13 all-time favorite hotels just continues to treat us like incredibly valued family guests in a luxury home. My favorite city hotel in the USA without question. Always upgraded to my favorite upgraded Metropolitan Suite--with the extra installed blackout shades just for me (installed Dec 2016). Incredible welcome amenities, and even allowed us to bring our 110 lb Rhodesian Ridgeback, Macallan, despite their weight limit of 35 lbs. Impeccable service, several complimentary Bentley car transfers, wonderful F&B, amazing bar, extremely comfortable stay as usual. Already booked for 4 more stays in 2019.

THE HIGHS (definitely exceeded expectations)

St Regis Bahia Beach Puerto Rico (Feb 2017): Really impressive and comfortable stay in a beautiful location for a splurge on a work trip, with wonderful upgrade to very comfortable and spacious St. Regis Suite, wonderfully friendly service and excellent F&B, excellent beach, and a very fun private cabana day by the pool with my friends and clients. Lack of adults-only pool is only weakness, but that didn't detract from my lucky experience. Wishing everyone in PR a speedy recovery from Maria...and quick re-opening.

St Regis Rome (Oct 2017): Wonderful but not yet renovated junior suite on award stay. Spectacularly beautifully renovated public spaces, excellent service with a few misses, wonderful F&B, great concierge, and surprisingly wonderful location within walking distance of more sights than expected. Surprisingly smooth stay despite the ongoing room renovation. Can't wait to return to see how the renovated rooms/suites look after seeing the tremendous public spaces!

Prince de Galles Paris (Oct 2017): Hosted surprise birthday dinner for my husband here, upgraded on award to spectacular Makassar Suite, while mother upgraded to next door deluxe room. Suite is one of best we've ever had, though air con wasn't excellent. Service and F&B were particularly fabulous, location wasn't our favorite but wasn't an impediment. Really had a tremendous stay despite not loving the location and having weaker air con than I'd prefer.

St Regis Houston (Dec 2017): Surprisingly very enjoyable and extremely comfortable stay in upgraded Astor Suite, despite the dated Texan decor. Really impressive service and F&B and almost perfect location for me. Surprisingly looking forward to my return next year!

SLS Beverly Hills (June 2017): Tremendous F&B and service in a well located hotel that is about to undergo renovation (and needs it!). Upgraded suite was dark, oddly laid out, and uninviting, but the staff and service really made me want to come back. The Bazaar and Saam are my favorite restaurants in Los Angeles.

The Nines Portland (Aug 2017): Incredible one night stay in excellent location, with amazing upgrade to The Nines Suite, huge and beautiful suite with amazing space, decor, and views, but weak air con. Service and F&B truly to a very high standard.

W Westwood/Los Angeles (Nov 2017): Another great stay. Even with air con issue, hotel went out of its way to make me happy until finally fixed the air con. Always upgrades me to nice suite. Great service, excellent food/beverage, love the location.

Sheraton Hartford South (March/April 2017): Surprisingly very comfortable Sheraton with extremely impressive restaurant/food and beverage, excellent service.Plans for many more stays here in 2018.

The Gwen Chicago (Dec 2017): Very impressed with this as a proper luxury option in Chicago via SPG. Finally! Great decor, great service, great bar, great food/beverage, nice location. Love this hotel. Nice upgraded junior suite.

MIDDLE OF THE ROAD--

W Boston (April 2017): Excellent hard product and location with quite the expected scene on weekends, but some service misses and F&B misses for a single night stay gives me pause. Returning for service recovery upgraded suite in 2018, so time will tell. Cautious.

Le Meridien Arlington (March/April 2017): Tried and true solid hotel offering usually at good rates relative to DC. Good location in Rosslyn with slight views across river. Always treats me well and upgrades me as Plat100 and SPG Pro. Food and beverage have REALLY improved in the last year. A very unfortunate mishap with staff walking into my room. Still a very reliable hotel that treats me very well even if it isn't perfect.

Le Meridien Cambridge (March/April 2017): Usually very reliable good hotel in quieter location that I love. Had problems with air con in my suite, so had to move to Presidential Suite. Handled well, but surprising food and beverage issues in restaurant, though room service is still great.

Sheraton Philadelphia University City (March/April 2017): Very reliable good hotel in great location for my business meetings. issues with internet and restaurant offerings, issues with clock in room, all unfortunate. Always upgrades me to suite. Construction ongoing for too long. Hoping that will be done next visit!

Westin Charlotte (April 2017): Reliable solid hotel with adequate food/beverage and usually great service. Nothing special, rare upgrades, but solid.

Westin Richmond (April 2017): Reliable solid hotel with good food/beverage and nice rooms. Odd location in research park area is convenient for others perhaps.

THE LOWS--

St Regis Dubai (Feb 2017): Great hard product largely ruined by so many service and F&B miscues as to be incomprehensible. Management response was weak, thought they did rebate half my room rate (can't believe they didn't comp the single night). This and StR Washington are unquestionably my poorest St Regis stays of all time. I wouldn't return until I saw consistent improvement in service ratings.

Sheraton Times Square New York (March/April 2017): Small, unimpressive room amidst a huge hotel monstrosity. No water in room. Air con subpar. I really wasn't fond of this property due to its massive size, the massive elevator chaos on the ground floor, and the sheer bureaucracy of the place. But good location. Service was a mess through phone, but the bellmen were wonderful.

St Regis Washington DC (April 2017): Very dated hard product in upgraded Junior Suite...with just as unimpressive soft product in all areas. Air con fail, F&B fails, service fails, when will it end? Only saving grace was friendly manager visiting from StR SF who knew me and handled things very well. But incomprehensible level of failures. The hotel needs a renovation BADLY, too. Avoid at all costs until they renovated and then get their ship in order. Probably the worst StR stay I've ever suffered.

Westin Sydney (May 2017): Screw-up on room assignments compounded by English language issues and air con failures galore. The room was fine but dated, hence the coming renovation according to management. Management tried hard but really failed for our visit. I would choose another hotel in Sydney.

I always enjoy reading your insights into SPG properties. Thanks for the tread

I am looking at the St Regis Bahai Beach when they reopen for a stay in Jan or Feb 2019 and your comments solidify that although I know things can change after the Hurricane. I believe they will not reopen until they have the product right. They have announced they will start taking reservations at the end of Oct so this should give them plenty of time to work out any kinks by Jan or Feb.

One day I will get to SF and when I do The St Regis there looks amazing.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:24 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I somehow missed this thread when it was first posted.

So glad I read the warning on St Regis Washington DC as we were planning to schedule a trip there next Spring.

I need to do some research and figure out an alternative.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.