Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Cavalier Calgary

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Sheraton Cavalier Calgary

Just thought I'd post a short review from my recent stay as there isn't a thread for this property on the SPG FT forum.

The area is not that close to the airport but, from my understanding, no other Starwood properties really are due to construction and road diversions. The hotel is about a $30+tip cab ride (rip off) from the airport and it takes about 15-20 minutes during busy traffic periods and 10-15 minutes during quieter times.

The hotel lobby appears to have been renovated and looks quite new. The staff are excellent and very friendly. The recognized SPG status readily and I got a nice upgrade to a one-bedroom suite on the 7th floor. The Sheraton Lounge is on the 8th floor.

The room looks relatively updated with the standard Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed and a flat screen TV in the bedroom and another one in the living room/sitting area. The bathroom has an oversized bathtub/shower combination and is in a very clean white.

All in all, I was quite impressed with the property especially given its age. The biggest drawback was the cab fare but that has nothing to do with the hotel. There is an airport shuttle but it does not run too frequently and only "on demand" during off-peak hours making a cab your only option in Uber-free/unfriendly Calgary. (Side note: it's comical that cities like Calgary and Vancouver like to think of themselves as tech-friendly/progressive cities and yet they're the loudest to scream when an innovative and monopoly-disrupting service like Uber starts up).

I had dinner at Carver's which is the hotel steak house. It has been upgraded and SPG members earn 500 point bonus when spending over $50 at the restaurant from Mon to Thu. Pretty easy given the pricing on the steaks! The meal was very good and it was quite nice not having to venture out for a decent meal.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
Stay Report

Just did a Sunday night stay here after arriving from the east coast after 11pm. $30 Cab ride is a downside, as noted by the OP.

Lobby looks great. Smooth check-in. Upgraded to a spacious suite. Good service. Ordered a cold roast beef sandwich, which arrived within 10 minutes. Room service options could use work.

Surprisingly strong breakfast spread in club lounge, which was completely deserted for the three hours we were here.

All in all, an excellent stay for an airport hotel.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:32 am

Stayed at this hotel a few times this year. I really like it. Platinum and as a matter of routine they process upgrades 24 hours before arrival. Always had a large suite here, very nice modern spacious rooms. Staff are friendly and efficient. Like the Sheraton Gateway in Toronto they seem to be able to check you in in less than 30 seconds. Club lounge is pretty good too. Decent breakfast with 2 or 3 hot items and fruit etc. Evening snacks are simple but substantial. No free alcohol but drinks reasonably priced ($6 for a G&T). I always call for the shuttle as soon as I arrive and usually wait about 15 mins. Never busy.
Just a very nice, efficient, friendly hotel. One of my favourites actually.

Last edited by MaxFlying; Oct 9, 2015 at 9:39 am
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat (sigh) FPC Platinum (sigh)
Had a brief stay there recently. Super staff, and the Carver's restaurant was really great. They've brought back table-side Caesar salads! Yay! Best one I've had in ages, plus excellent steak. Downside: the breakfast is being scaled back . . . they've taken away croissants! . . . overheard that's due to 1) "it was so much better than other SPG breakfasts it's being brought in line with other properties" (boo) and 2) "something to do with the sale to Marriott" (double boo).

The downgrade of the breakfast is a bit of a shame, although given what's going on with SPG, and the Calgary economy, not a huge surprise, and it doesn't really detract from the overall experience. Thanks to the staff the hotel is excellent, and a great alternative to the more expensive downtown SPG properties.

Last edited by Napstolean; Mar 2, 2016 at 9:58 pm
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:10 am

I would echo just about everything said in this thread...except I would say it's pretty close to the airport ~10 minutes door to door? In any case, it's a great hotel. My kids enjoyed the slide. The Club could use a little more variety especially in the morning but fine. I was upgraded and received some treats and drinks as a Titanium. The service was excellent from the staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.