Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood hotels switching from Coke to Pepsi products as a result of Marriott merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood hotels switching from Coke to Pepsi products as a result of Marriott merger

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
But what does Britney think about all of this?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:36 am

Pepsi : less carbonated and too sweet. (EU location)

Last edited by HHQX888; Jun 13, 2018 at 11:00 am
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I find the opposite - Coke tastes too sweet. Of important notice is US coke uses corn syrup, which it does not in e.g. Europe. This makes Coke taste dissimilar depending on where you are.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by remymartin
I find the opposite - Coke tastes too sweet. Of important notice is US coke uses corn syrup, which it does not in e.g. Europe. This makes Coke taste dissimilar depending on where you are.
Just like how North American manufactured chocolate bars are made with HFCS thus tasting quite different from the same-branded versions manufactured in Europe.

I don't really order carbonated beverages or use the vending machines at properties, but it's fascinating to see how this can be a polarizing "issue".
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I was discussing this with a colleague, who came up with this explanation of the difference between the two :

“Coke is to Pepsi, as Starwood is to Marriott”.

Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I was discussing this with a colleague, who came up with this explanation of the difference between the two :

“Coke is to Pepsi, as Starwood is to Marriott”.

Good one. You could also replace the Coke/Pepsi combo with butter/margarine and it would still work as a fair comparison.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:14 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I find the opposite - Coke tastes too sweet.
Pepsi is sweeter. It contains 2g more sugar per 12 oz. serving.

Last edited by dayone; Jun 17, 2018 at 1:56 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by dayone
Pepsi is sweeter. It contains 2mg more sugar per 12 oz. serving.
Maybe so, yet the local stuff has a difference in energy, too.

Pepsi, 100ml
  • 11g carbohydrates, of which 11g sugar
  • 174kJ/41 kcal energy
Coca-Cola, 100ml
  • 10,6g carbohydrates, of which 10.6g sugar
  • 180kJ/42 kcal energy
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by dayone
Pepsi is sweeter. It contains 2mg more sugar per 12 oz. serving.
2mg is 0.00007 oz.

Drat these confusing new-fangled Euro-units.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
2mg is 0.00007 oz.

Drat these confusing new-fangled Euro-units.
In this context 'mg' is a mass while 'oz.' is a volume, so they are not comparable. It's like claiming a bourbon and coke is similar to a bourbon and pepsi; there are lines that should not be crossed.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
You can get Coke with real sugar (not corn syrup) in much of the U.S. around March/April. They make it with real sugar because corn syrup is not kosher for Passover. On 1 liter plastic bottles, look for yellow screw tops.

Regarding geographically based taste differences, remember, too, that water tastes different in different places.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Regarding geographically based taste differences, remember, too, that water tastes different in different places.
If you compare two products made from the same water, it shouldn’t matter, right?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
If you compare two products made from the same water, it shouldn’t matter, right?
Agreed!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA CK. 2MM, SPG/Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime, Hertz President's, Avis Chai
Getting pushed to switch

I am a decision maker for travel contracts with our airline and hotel partners at my company. I am starting to see the switch more at international properties includes the Park Tower in Buenos Aires last weekend and Paris this week. Also starting to hear a lot of complaints from other travelers in the company since we were mostly legacy SPG. Hilton was our #2 . I don't know how much exclusivity is in their contracts to carry only Pepsi. Pretty sure Delta has a exclusivity contract with Coke, obviously why. There isn't much difference anymore now that SPG is getting downgraded across the board to Marriott's standards. Since Hilton was our #2 , they may be getting our business over something silly as drink choice but its a big deal with our travelers. We start writing out RFPs next month...

Who orders a Jack and Pepsi? The other airlines manage to carry both so it's important to them. Not saying they need to only carry Coke but some people do have a strong preference. Me included.

Marriott, I would run this by your marketing guys instead of sticking to an old 25 year grudge. Get over it.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
From Loyalty Lobby : Coke out at Starwood

Personally okay with this. Made my peace with the Coke vs. Pepsi war a long time okay and will drink either - especially if it's diet and cherry flavour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.