Search

No housekeeping on Christmas?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 3:30 pm
gre
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
No housekeeping on Christmas?

I'm just curious if anyone else has ever seen this.
I've stayed at the same Four Points on Christmas night for 15 years (it's only a mile or so from the in-laws).
This year, for the 1st time, they did not tell me at check-in on 12/24, but rather slid a notice under the door some time after 11PM on 12/24, that they were giving the housekeeping crew the day off on 12/25.
The notice said that I could pick up clean towels at the desk.
It's not a big deal to me but I found it unusual.
Comments?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by gre
I'm just curious if anyone else has ever seen this.
I've stayed at the same Four Points on Christmas night for 15 years (it's only a mile or so from the in-laws).
This year, for the 1st time, they did not tell me at check-in on 12/24, but rather slid a notice under the door some time after 11PM on 12/24, that they were giving the housekeeping crew the day off on 12/25.
The notice said that I could pick up clean towels at the desk.
It's not a big deal to me but I found it unusual.
Comments?
Sounds like they didn't want to pay OT. I am all for making sure non-essential staff have the option to get the holiday off -- but there should be a notice at booking so customers know what they are and aren't paying for.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Did you get MAGC points?
Brandinho1 and Sallycat like this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by gre
Comments?
Patently absurd. If you have the notice, would you post it here, please? So what happens to people checking in on the 25th? They get dirty rooms?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Patently absurd. If you have the notice, would you post it here, please? So what happens to people checking in on the 25th? They get dirty rooms?
Most likely the hotel has low occupancy and can place new guests into rooms that went empty on the 24th.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:41 am
gre
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Sounds like they didn't want to pay OT.
That's what I was thinking. Back in my misspent youth I worked in the service industry and looked forward to holiday double time. I also remember my Jewish friends saying "I'll work; it ain't my holiday!"
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Unacceptable, you made a reservation based on expecting a service. I would certainly expect a reasonable amount of points for this. Either they messed the rota up for housekeeping or the out sourcing company wanted double time but either way it's not your issue and the way they went about it is very under hand.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:28 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by gre
That's what I was thinking. Back in my misspent youth I worked in the service industry and looked forward to holiday double time.
Amen. Worked five years at Disneyland while in college in the 70's, half of them as a foreman. We never had a problem filling shifts on days like Christmas, due to double-time.

Worst part of Christmas Day was overcrowding, as the Park closed early - 7pm. Other days during the season the Park was open to midnight. The daily attendance was about the same Christmas Day or the day after (about 50-55,000 people).
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:41 am
gre
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Patently absurd. If you have the notice, would you post it here, please?
I did not save it. It was just an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper that said that the hotel had decided to give the housekeeping staff the day off "to be with their families" and that clean towels were available at the desk.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:44 am
gre
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
Unacceptable, you made a reservation based on expecting a service. I would certainly expect a reasonable amount of points for this.
Interestingly, I just got an email from the manager thanking me for my input on a "how was your stay?" survey. He said he was sorry but offered no points. Of course I replied by asking what he was going to do about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.