Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If 4 Plats checked in at the same time...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
If 4 Plats checked in at the same time...

Here's a scenario.. does one Plat trump over the other?

If 4 Plats checked in at a hotel at the same time and there are only 3 Suites to give out, who will be left out?
The SPG100, SPG75, SPG50 or SPG25 ?

Do hotels know your SPG Plat levels?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:12 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I believe SPG send the hotel a recommend list of who to upgrade in order each day. Obviously, individual properties can choose to use the list or ignore it. Individual hotel recognition would also play a part.
Incoherent1 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:12 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I think the above is understood to be correct. The better question may be "how closely do the hotels pay attention to the upgrade list"?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
If 4 Plats checked in at a hotel at the same time
What a HUGE "if".
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:18 am

The list is separates the P100 and then all other plats. The list also tells the hotel how many times the person has stayed at that property before.

YMMV. It's all up the the hotel's discretion.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by clublounger
What a HUGE "if".
Exactly. This scenario assumes four Platinums checking in simultaneously with four available Front Desk Representatives. It also assumes that the hotel hasn't pre-blocked upgrades earlier in that day. I suppose it's an interesting thought experiment, but not likely to happen out in the real world.

Assuming that's likely, the winners will be the three quickest Front Desk Representatives that grab an available suite.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Four Platinums checking in simultaneously would result in zero upgrades most of the time, except for the pre-allocated upgrades. How many times have you read reports of a DYKWIA and a manager needed to be consulted? Most of the time...

What I find odd is that ages after the introduction of SPG 50, 75, etc. people are still trying to figure out whether recognition standards are different. In my experience, it is hotel management that is generous or not - and the more often you stay at a specific hotel, the more reliable the upgrades. I have no doubt that I would receive the better upgrade at the hotel I frequently stay at, even if a SPG100 walked in the door beside me.
Incoherent1 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Assuming that's likely, the winners will be the three quickest Front Desk Representatives that grab an available suite.
That would be my guess. There is no "simultaneous" at the database level.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
If four Hilton Diamonds check in at the same time it's the one with the giraffe that wins.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Out of curiosity I asked an associate while checking in if she was able to see what level of SPG Platinum people had during check-in, and she said she had to click through a few windows deep to get that level of detail. I can count the number of times I've been greeted as an ambassador services guest on one hand. My guess would be that the suites would be handed out in order of arrival.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
That is similar to the math question in grade school, the answer is train B, train B always gets there first

staying at SPG four points Perth and got the upgraded room on check-in so I am train B
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I once had an FDer very briefly show me his screen, and I noticed that it had a cumulative revenue field. Not clear whether or not that was property-specific, or system-wide. That sort of thing could factor in, no?

(Before anyone asks the obvious, the dollar figure reflected could easily have been either, as I was just making my switch from MR to SPG, and all of my recent stays up to that point had been at that specific property; nearly all previous stays predated SPG's ability to even track points, so presumably revenue also.)
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
There were about 30 of us Platinum members a few years ago who checked in at exactly the same time when I was employed (retired now). It was a conference and I believe over 500 of us checked in (shared rooms in most cases) that night at a certain SPG property in Georgia. The suite upgrades were prioritized as LT Plats first, Plat 100s, then the like.
I still don't believe this was SOP but it was nice for the property to have done that. I may be wrong but there were about 10 of us who had dinner after check in and we were comparing notes. Yes, we were that bored and since I don't drink there wasn't that much else to do while my colleagues had far too many beers.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by yurtripper
If four Hilton Diamonds check in at the same time it's the one with the giraffe that wins.
what if there is more than one diamond with a giraffe????
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Keyser
what if there is more than one diamond with a giraffe????
Then the one who needs a helipad built for his helicopter wins
Keyser likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.