Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Change hotel (locally) on prepaid reservation from a couple hours ago?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold

SPG Plat-50 here...

Anyone have any luck adjusting prepaid reservations booked within the past couple hours? Trying to switch from one Starwood hotel to a different Starwood hotel a few blocks away. I feel like I've done this before but my first attempt on the phone was greeted with "very strict policy", despite my suggestion that there might be some plat-50 magic.

For what it's worth, I'm trying to switch to a hotel with a higher rate (Four Points to Westin in San Diego).

Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:17 pm

The chances of this happening are probably slim. Most hotels are franchises. It's unlikely that the original hotel will agree to break a contract just to help out a nearby competitor.

I can't picture anyone at Starwood Corporate/Central Reservations that you can call reach via phone will have the authority to make this change. If you want this to happen, you need to call the original hotel directly. I wouldn't expect much, either. There's really no compelling reason for the hotel to cancel a non-refundable reservation in this situation. (I'm not trying to be harsh. That's just the reality of the situation.)
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
The chances of this happening are probably slim. Most hotels are franchises. It's unlikely that the original hotel will agree to break a contract just to help out a nearby competitor.....
+1. Not going to work as you described. Better to call Four Points direct, not central res, and told them that you booked by mistake or your kid booked it. Ask them to cancel. Then book Westin separately.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by TerryK
+1. Not going to work as you described. Better to call Four Points direct, not central res, and told them that you booked by mistake or your kid booked it. Ask them to cancel. Then book Westin separately.
Telling the truth is the wiser choice.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
3 Easy Steps:

1) Call the Four Points.

2) Tell them that you booked it by mistake on your new iPhone X because the screen is touchy and you are not used to it. And that for sure you will be booking something with them soon. This happend to a poster very recently, though I am not sure how it worked out!

3) Report back here and let us know how it goes!

Good luck!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I dunno. When I book a prepaid rate (which has happened less than 5 times on 700+ nights), my fingers literally tremble. I get buyer's remorse before I even make the reservation! Funny that you could change your mind within a few hours.

But I agree. Call the Four Points and beg for lenience. If you call soon enough, they probably haven't even put through the charge on your card.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
#1 if there is Plat 50 magic please let me know when the show is so I can watch.

#2 the worst case scenario is that you have to tolerate a 4 points as you haven't made the westin reservation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.