Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Lounge Access Denied

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by jjj325
This is crazy. I often book free rooms for friends and relatives. They get all the perks I get even though I am not there. Although, my wife did have issues with the Swan hotel, but my Ambassador fixed it and we got points
I would not share that here. Status is not transferable.

1. What I think you're saying is that, for example, if I were to book my spouse's travel on AA, he should be entitled to the benefits of my EXP status. That is decidedly not the case, unless I am also flying.

Furthermore, if you read section 9.5 of the SPG T&Cs:

"Elite Preferred Guest Membership Status benefits are only available in connection with the one guest room in which the Gold Preferred Guest or Platinum Preferred Guest is staying."

Essentially, the Swan Hotel is the only one that followed the rules.

2. You're also earning points/status in violation of the SPG T&Cs. To borrow from the above AA example, and according to your rationale, I could be earning miles towards my status when my spouse flies even when I am not flying.

AA does not have any kind of family pooling and neither, to the best of my knowledge, does SPG.

I think the honest way to go about this is to call the SPG Plat Amb. and say, "My spouse is staying at X property, if there's anything you can do to make their stay more pleasant, I would greatly appreciate it". Or call the property and request the same. A good rep will make this happen.

Originally Posted by TerryK
Now this is crazy.
^^^
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bernardk
Thanks everyone for replying.

I just want to clarify the issue so that I don’t need to go through the asking and being denied process in the future.

I believe my room is being paid for as a Master Bill as a group of my colleagues are travelling together with me as MSPeconomist said on #10 even though my name is on one of the bookings.

When I travel for leisure I stay mostly in Marriott properties so I’m not that familiar with SPG rules. In this case I guess the most significant difference is in Marriott properties, I simply need to be the one staying there to get all the benefits while SPG is not? I can get everything when my company books us in Marriott properties.

Being said that, there’s another interesting case. I travelled with my friend to W Taipei on leisure few months ago. The booking was made through my account via the app (book in advance rate but I guess it’s still an Elite stay?) and was paid by my friend’s credit card. When we checked in, I was told I couldn’t get anything as a Platinum because I was not the one paying for it.

I asked to change the payment to my credit card but it was not possible as the associate told us the booking was paid in advance. The associate basically said “no” to me no matter what i was asking (eg. Welcome gift, room upgrade etc) and I guess I was growing impatient after a 1x hours flight and kept being told “no”, and my face got longer and longer.

Eventually the associate suddenly said she needed to check and when she returned, I got everything I entitled to.
IME Marriott doesn't necessarily give elite benefits when room bookings are part of a group. I remember a situation where I was staying (in a room that was not shared, so my name was on the booking as the primary guest) with a small group. At check in I overheard the guy in line in front of me being offered a nice upgrade. When I asked about an upgrade, the front desk employee confirmed that junior suites and other upgrade categories were available for the period of my stay, but said that since I was part of the group, I wasn't allowed to get an upgrade. In fact, I distinctly remember being told that upgrades weren't allowed, not just that I wasn't eligible for an upgrade.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME Marriott doesn't necessarily give elite benefits when room bookings are part of a group. I remember a situation where I was staying (in a room that was not shared, so my name was on the booking as the primary guest) with a small group. At check in I overheard the guy in line in front of me being offered a nice upgrade. When I asked about an upgrade, the front desk employee confirmed that junior suites and other upgrade categories were available for the period of my stay, but said that since I was part of the group, I wasn't allowed to get an upgrade. In fact, I distinctly remember being told that upgrades weren't allowed, not just that I wasn't eligible for an upgrade.
I've been planning corporate events at SPG and Marriott properties for about six months now. I specifically negotiate for all guests on a master account to receive all of the benefits, including upgrades, that they're entitled to receive under the applicable elite status terms and conditions. I also negotiate that guests can pay the group rate individually to receive the whatever points and stay credit they would normally receive. I've never not had a property say "no." I think this is just a case of bad event planners who don't understand the game.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I've been planning corporate events at SPG and Marriott properties for about six months now. I specifically negotiate for all guests on a master account to receive all of the benefits, including upgrades, that they're entitled to receive under the applicable elite status terms and conditions. I also negotiate that guests can pay the group rate individually to receive the whatever points and stay credit they would normally receive. I've never not had a property say "no." I think this is just a case of bad event planners who don't understand the game.
I agree, although I've seen event planners either just assume that no one in the group has elite status or cares about elite benefits or (much worse) take the stance of maximizing their own benefits (either the presidential suite for themselves or lots of event planner points even when participants aren't getting points for the event) without regard for those for whom they are supposedly working.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
What happens when a property calls their lounge something other than a "lounge" so they don't have to offer it to plats? Have encountered "beach clubs" that offer breakfast, food throughout the day, and local drinks during certain hours that you can buy up to. This is at a resort but my understanding was Starwood Plats still get into lounges until August 1...
GalaxyChris likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.