Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG fan favourite hotels in SE Asia - suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG fan favourite hotels in SE Asia - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Thanks for the great ideas everyone - definitely some great looking SPG hotel options!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Ah yes, I'd endorse LM Chiang Mai and was going to recommend Le Meridien Chiang Rai as a real bargain for Plats but apparently they stopped doing their two hours free drinks and snacks for us since my last visit so I scrubbed that. I forgot the Sheraton Hua Hin which is good value for Plats and is a rare resort with lounge.

The OP wasn't after big cities so I didn't consider Bangkok but obviously it's great there and I'd also recommend LM if the rate's around THB4000 and the Royal Orchid at around THB3000 if LM is full and they up their rates to THB6000 which happens.

The OP has already been to Bali so I didn't consider that and was in any case looking for good value hotels for Plats on holiday (so ones with free booze). Then again, you don't get booze in Lombok so I'm not that consistent.

+1 for the Vagabond in Singapore. Lovely hotel and great for Plats. Under no circumstances stay at the Wanderlust. The Sheraton has a lounge with usual benefits. Other than that you're paying through the nose.
The Westin in Singapore also has a lounge with free alcohol at happy hour.

However, in addition to Singapore being a city, my understanding is that gay sex is against the law (I don't know the details) in Singapore, so I wouldn't classify the place as being LGBT tolerant, although IME it's not unusual now to see gay couples holding hands in hotels in Singapore.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The Westin in Singapore also has a lounge with free alcohol at happy hour.

However, in addition to Singapore being a city, my understanding is that gay sex is against the law (I don't know the details) in Singapore, so I wouldn't classify the place as being LGBT tolerant, although IME it's not unusual now to see gay couples holding hands in hotels in Singapore.
My many gay friends in Singapore would disagree with this conclusion when out at the weekend in the many gay bars (hello, Tantric) or more salubrious establishments that operate openly and without harassment in this former British colony with its legacy British laws.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:24 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Folks, may I suggest that unless one has some first/second hand experience with a location, it would be best not sharing information around the level of LGBT tolerance. We come to FlyerTalk to learn from each other's experience rather than just hear what someone read once on the Internet.

While the legal status of homosexuality in Singapore says one thing, the facts on the ground say something else. You can google and read about the challenges around the gay pride Pink Dot festival each year, but at the same time there is a vibrant community that isn't hiding in the shadows.

From the posts here Malaysia is in a similar state.

Let's try to give people advice based on our experience rather than things we think we heard or read once.
gcashin and ftrichard like this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Folks, may I suggest that unless one has some first/second hand experience with a location, it would be best not sharing information around the level of LGBT tolerance. We come to FlyerTalk to learn from each other's experience rather than just hear what someone read once on the Internet.

While the legal status of homosexuality in Singapore says one thing, the facts on the ground say something else. You can google and read about the challenges around the gay pride Pink Dot festival each year, but at the same time there is a vibrant community that isn't hiding in the shadows.

From the posts here Malaysia is in a similar state.

Let's try to give people advice based on our experience rather than things we think we heard or read once.
This.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.