Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood program not worth trying vs. Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood program not worth trying vs. Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: Free Agent! B6 Mosaic, AA 5MM LT Plat (EXP gone), SPG LT Plat, WN APlus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aero0729
[snipped]

4. Breakfast at CY Marriott is not included but Aloft hotels has the worst food and beverage of any mid-range hotel. All heated up junk. Also if you want breakfast it will never be a full breakfast at SPG and will take the place of your check in points making the earn and burn even worse.
Err ... SPG does not equal Aloft (and CY isn't anything to shout about either, as a long time Marriott PLT back in the day).

I've been comped the breakfast buffet at the Westin Tokyo every stay as a Plat, outstanding start to the day.

I will admit that the Marriott Park Lane was on a par with it, also comped as a Plat.

And aloft breakfasts aren't reheated as far as I can tell, they are actually pretty decent. Certainly comparable to a CY.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I really hope OP spreads his message about how spg is bad to all his MaRiot loyal friends ^
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Starwood is a terrible program. It is a fact that the earn and burn it bad and the customer service stinks the big one:

1. 3 points per dollar is weak whe you consider category 1 hotels start at 3,000 points. $1000 spend - a free night. At Marriott you get 15 points per dollar as a plat and free nights start at 7500. That means $500 in spend earns a free night. As you go up the category chain Marriott always makes more sense.

2. There are no Starwood hotels...good luck finding one in rural areas.

3. Promos stink and they will BITE you when you find out the hotel you stayed in doesn't participate. Marriott promos all hotels participate.

4. Breakfast at CY Marriott is not included but Aloft hotels has the worst food and beverage of any mid-range hotel. All heated up junk. Also if you want breakfast it will never be a full breakfast at SPG and will take the place of your check in points making the earn and burn even worse.

5. Calling SPG over the phone has been a disaster. Helpless people who have no common sense or are not empowered. I usually hang up with SPG wondering what happened.

6. I never find SPG properties are a good value for the money.
I won't go so far as to call you an unkind name; but clearly your Starwood experience is very, very different from mine. Doesn't sound as though Starwood is a good match for your needs or expectations; you might want to consider not staying at Starwood properties in the future.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Starwood is a terrible program. It is a fact that the earn and burn it bad and the customer service stinks the big one:

1. 3 points per dollar is weak whe you consider category 1 hotels start at 3,000 points. $1000 spend - a free night. At Marriott you get 15 points per dollar as a plat and free nights start at 7500. That means $500 in spend earns a free night. As you go up the category chain Marriott always makes more sense.

2. There are no Starwood hotels...good luck finding one in rural areas.

3. Promos stink and they will BITE you when you find out the hotel you stayed in doesn't participate. Marriott promos all hotels participate.

5. Calling SPG over the phone has been a disaster. Helpless people who have no common sense or are not empowered. I usually hang up with SPG wondering what happened.

6. I never find SPG properties are a good value for the money.
As Plat in both program, I have never encountered what you described except for #2 , which is part of SPG. The redemption is way more valuable with SPG points, and the telephone CS is helpful. On the other hand MAR points and promotions...
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
As a multi-year Marriott Plat Premier with 100 nights this year at legacy Marriott properties and 20 nights this year at SPG properties, I don't share your assessment. I certainly wouldn't base that assessment on a single issue with a conference stay where you're not earning points (I've been meaning to start a thread on that issue in the Marriott forum on a Marriott experience).

I know several former SPG executives and they were very visionary. SPG has some great properties ... just didn't have enough or enough middle grade properties to keep the investment community happy.

The program isn't bad ... its just different.

SPG desk agents (except at some W's) think they are supposed to upgrade me to suites. Marriott desk agents think they are doing me a favor. My upgrade rate is about the same at both. That's a wash.

Marriott is good on having lounges which works for me since I usually just need coffee/etc for breakfast. Plus they give me a $10 voucher which buys me a beer. SPG gives a free breakfast in lieu of points. Advantage Marriott.

Marriott has more places when you're in small towns. Advantage Marriott.

SPG has more cool aspirational places that I don't go to very often. Advantage Starwood.

Complications on earning points booked by conference organizers? Well ... I didn't get any upgrades, points, or nights credit the last time my company had meetings at JW and RC (or Conrad or Hyatts either). We haven't had any meetings at Starwood so I don't know about that. Too rare of any issue to assess even a wash.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
As OP is planning on visiting Japan, the CY properties there actually do provide breakfast to gold/plat members (at least in Tokyo and Osaka).
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I'm a little confused as to the exact reason for OP's problem.

Who is the third party or is it the conference itself? Is the room direct billed? All of this matters...

I used Chase points for Hertz and got no recognition of status nor did I get the points.......third party (albeit with points) despite the fact that they say it is just like cash (it's not!)

I have no idea how priceline, expedia works but have heard some pretty grim tales

I do not use third parties at all, unless it is a conference and have no choice because the conference has all the rooms blocked - many times your number does not get transferred and the hotel has no idea you are elite until you check in. Sometimes they do know but the points don't post properly after the stay and you have to fight for them. IME conference hotels are not very good at providing elite bennies regardless

I have been denied points and all amenities twice at Marriott because the room was direct billed....I missed MR Plat that year for this very reason.........8 nights that did not count

So this may not be a SPG vs. MR problem but an actual distribution channel or contract problem

Both are good hotels and programs, with the edge going MR for the hotels (by a little) and SPG for the program (by a lot)...I get much better treatment with SPG as elite
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Oct 11, 2017 at 1:07 pm
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
SPG desk agents (except at some W's) think they are supposed to upgrade me to suites. Marriott desk agents think they are doing me a favor.
Exactly
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:37 pm

Breakfast at CY Marriott is not included but Aloft hotels has the worst food and beverage of any mid-range hotel. All heated up junk.

Also if you want breakfast it will never be a full breakfast at SPG
1. Breakfast at Courtyard and Aloft both suck. And neither is comped. This one is a tie.

2. Not true. Maybe on paper but not in reality. I would say half the time they let you have the full breakfast. And some international properties let you have full buffet or lounge, your choice. I have never felt slighted over breakfast with SPG
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by andyr
Err ... SPG does not equal Aloft (and CY isn't anything to shout about either, as a long time Marriott PLT back in the day).

I've been comped the breakfast buffet at the Westin Tokyo every stay as a Plat, outstanding start to the day.

I will admit that the Marriott Park Lane was on a par with it, also comped as a Plat.

And aloft breakfasts aren't reheated as far as I can tell, they are actually pretty decent. Certainly comparable to a CY.
I felt that the Element breakfast, included for all guests, was actually pretty good.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
I really hope OP spreads his message about how spg is bad to all his MaRiot loyal friends ^
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
How does a booking channel restriction render an entire loyalty program useless?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
I don't know, maybe it's just me but it seems like a lot of those rather uninspired Marriott people now come over and complain how bad SPG supposedly is- I get the feeling no longtime SPG members ever asked them to join the club to begin with.

But the harm is done and we gotta live with this rather unsatisfying merger. I did have two rather nice stays at JW. But these were both in the US and it seems that some people on here are wearing very US-only tinted glasses here: Outside the States, it's often rather hard to find any half way decent Marriotts (unless there happens to be a Ritz Carlton in town) while Starwood has by far the better (and often wider) choice. There's often W and a Westin, sometimes a Luxury Collection and also a Le Meridien, all featuring super nice properties. In many cases, all you get in the same city is some lousy old Marriott that's not even worth comparing with, say, a newish Westin or a W.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Sydneyberlin
Outside the States, it's often rather hard to find any half way decent Marriotts (unless there happens to be a Ritz Carlton in town) while Starwood has by far the better (and often wider) choice. There's often W and a Westin, sometimes a Luxury Collection and also a Le Meridien, all featuring super nice properties. In many cases, all you get in the same city is some lousy old Marriott that's not even worth comparing with, say, a newish Westin or a W.
I guess it depends on the city as that's not my experience. In some places, there are superior legacy Starwood properties and in other places superior legacy Marriott properties.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
No offense, but this thread makes me laugh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.