FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Starwood program not worth trying vs. Marriott
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:53 pm
dilbertsdaddy

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I'm a little confused as to the exact reason for OP's problem.

Who is the third party or is it the conference itself? Is the room direct billed? All of this matters...

I used Chase points for Hertz and got no recognition of status nor did I get the points.......third party (albeit with points) despite the fact that they say it is just like cash (it's not!)

I have no idea how priceline, expedia works but have heard some pretty grim tales

I do not use third parties at all, unless it is a conference and have no choice because the conference has all the rooms blocked - many times your number does not get transferred and the hotel has no idea you are elite until you check in. Sometimes they do know but the points don't post properly after the stay and you have to fight for them. IME conference hotels are not very good at providing elite bennies regardless

I have been denied points and all amenities twice at Marriott because the room was direct billed....I missed MR Plat that year for this very reason.........8 nights that did not count

So this may not be a SPG vs. MR problem but an actual distribution channel or contract problem

Both are good hotels and programs, with the edge going MR for the hotels (by a little) and SPG for the program (by a lot)...I get much better treatment with SPG as elite

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Oct 11, 2017 at 1:07 pm