Wiki Posts
Search

Oman Sheraton

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2002, 4:06 pm
mgm
Original Poster

Oman Sheraton

Has anyone had recent experience of this property? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Same question

How about now?

Mike
Old Oct 27, 2005, 8:36 am

I'm booked for late-November into December, but at this point can only echo the inquiry.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond, A3-Gold
Sheraton MCT

Originally Posted by mgm
Has anyone had recent experience of this property? Thanks in advance.
I've stayed there many times over the years. It's been renovated and is adequate and is well located if you're doing business in Ruwi, but I much prefer the sea-side locations of the Intercontinetal, Hyatt or Crowne Plaza. Of course, the Al Bustan Palace is stupendous, if you want to spend that much.
Have a wonderful stay in the Sultanate.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:01 pm

I'm presently staying at this property. It's fully adequate though, as has been observed, the location isn't for everyone; it suits my needs.

There's a lounge with continental breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres (spell check, please). I think there's alcohol too, though I'm not paying much attention. The business center is REALLY expensive - par for the course, of course. The gym is pretty good, though not absolute state-of-the-art. Staff is 70 percent good, 15 percent indifferent and 15 percent...well, you know.

My room isn't anything special, though the amenity counter overflows (bath foam?). No plat recognition, other than lounge access.

Quick story: I cancelled the first night of my stay based on flight delays. Miraculously, LH got me here reasonably close to on-time. So I called to restore the first night of my stay, which I'd cancelled at ORD. I was told 'no d*mn way. Sold OUT'. So I called back to SPG Plat line in the States. They added the night (at SPG50 rate, which, as it turns out is a relative bargain) and I showed up at the hotel five minutes later to stare down the guy who told me to get lost. Trump!
Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, SK Diamond, Finnair Gold, BA Silver
I am presently staying at the property and thought I'd add my two cents.

Perhaps it's been renovated, but it's hard to tell - the room looks pretty late 70s/early 80s style to me, though it's par for the Sheratons in the region. Rooms are good size though and fine for sleeping (quiet). Just don't expect any style. I tried the dinner buffet (OR7.5+) and have to say it was poor. Service is just average. Wireless broadband internet is severely overpriced here as in most Starwoods in the region at OR8 ($20) for a day.

The reason I picked the Sheraton, and one major thing it has going for it, is that it is a Category 1 hotel, and spending 2 - 3000 points a night when they were sold out of standard rooms and wanted $400 and upwards on SPG.com was a great deal on short notice. The Muscat area is pricey in general.

Location is in the business district of Ruwi, which has absolutely nothing of interest for the tourist. It is an easy 10-15 minute taxi ride to get to Muttrah/Muscat, and if you are adept at bargaining it need not be too expensive (OR 0.2 - 0.4 to Muttrah, but be happy with OR1.0 back). Coming from the airport I paid OR6 which was probably double the local fare but not all that bad.

I wouldn't pay to stay here as a tourist, but on points for the area it's a good deal.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:41 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond; SPG: Gold; UA Platinum; BA Silver; EK Silver
Closing for Renovation

I am also currently staying at the property. I echo all the other comments except that on service- I have found the service friendly throughout the property.

Any visitors coming to Muscat should note that this hotel is closing on Jan 5 for a nine-month renovation.

I visited the sister Sheraton property on the beach this afternoon. I was in a conference room so didn't get a chance to see the bedrooms, but the loaction is excellent. It is right on the beach, and the area around the front gate of the hotel has some nice restaurants and coffee bars. They only have 7 rooms, so it sells out quickly.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Sheraton Oman has now re-opened, and I was impressed with my 2 night stay. It selectively uses some of the Sheraton brand materials, but is more of a Luxury Collection property with its own toiletries, etc. There is a lounge available for Platinums and some form of happy hour, but I didn't have the time to visit. There is also a private beach elsewhere, but I didn't have a chance to go there either. The property has had an extensive multi-year refit, so everything appears brand new.

As Platinum I was upgraded to what they call a "Junior Suite" and was expecting basically a large room, but it was a full 2 room, 1/5 bathroom, 3 TV suite.

There's not much right next to the hotel, but for me it was relatively close (by car) to the things that I wanted to see. The hotel appears to be primarily setup for business travellers, but the style of service was more of a true luxury hotel.

Now we're talking about Marriott properties on here nowadays it's worthwhile pointing out an alternative is the Al Bustan Palace from the Ritz Carlton which is at another level (it's a stunning luxury beach hotel), but is multiples of the cost and is allegedly closing in the relatively near future.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The Sheraton Oman has now re-opened, and I was impressed with my 2 night stay. It selectively uses some of the Sheraton brand materials, but is more of a Luxury Collection property with its own toiletries, etc. There is a lounge available for Platinums and some form of happy hour, but I didn't have the time to visit. There is also a private beach elsewhere, but I didn't have a chance to go there either. The property has had an extensive multi-year refit, so everything appears brand new.

As Platinum I was upgraded to what they call a "Junior Suite" and was expecting basically a large room, but it was a full 2 room, 1/5 bathroom, 3 TV suite.

There's not much right next to the hotel, but for me it was relatively close (by car) to the things that I wanted to see. The hotel appears to be primarily setup for business travellers, but the style of service was more of a true luxury hotel.

Now we're talking about Marriott properties on here nowadays it's worthwhile pointing out an alternative is the Al Bustan Palace from the Ritz Carlton which is at another level (it's a stunning luxury beach hotel), but is multiples of the cost and is allegedly closing in the relatively near future.
Just out of curiosity, do you recall what bathroom toiletries do they use at the hotel? I am thinking of staying here at the end of the month. I am debating if I should stay here or the Grand Hyatt.

If anyone else has any recent review, I would love to hear it! Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:37 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by l380
Just out of curiosity, do you recall what bathroom toiletries do they use at the hotel? I am thinking of staying here at the end of the month. I am debating if I should stay here or the Grand Hyatt.

If anyone else has any recent review, I would love to hear it! Thanks
Stayed at the Grand Hyatt in August 2016 and the Sheraton in December... and under no circumstance, other than the direct beach access, do I recommend the GH - total. Dump. Physically peeling paint in the lobby, a design scheme that would have looked GREAT in 1999, hordes of ladies of the night in the nightclub and a general sense of well-past-your-prime, it's a big fat pass.

The Sheraton, on the other hand, might lack a bit in personality but is totally fantastic - a stellar renovation that turned an aging 80s beast into a perfectly functioning, well-managed and well-staffed business hotel. As a Plat, I got immediately bumped up to a Junior Suite with a separate living room and bedroom along with a bathroom with separate tub/shower - as well as Club Lounge access, breakfast in the main restaurant for free instead of in lieu of Starpoints and so on - and loved my two-night stay there. The bathroom products are actually a lovely Omani brand called Amouage [Arabic for 'waves'] that operates standalone boutiques that sells their line of products. The products are high quality and have a lovely local scent of frankinscence and sandalwood - none of that generic Sheraton Shine stuff here!

Hope that helps; happy to provide additional reviews/insight as needed.

khabah
l380 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by khabah

Hope that helps; happy to provide additional reviews/insight as needed.

khabah
Really appreciate your swift and detailed response! I am sold and have booked Sheraton Oman. Hopefully the hotel will be able to arrange something special for my mom's birthday!

Aside from the hotel itself, what do you think of the location and its distance to the top attractions in Muscat? I do plan to rent a car. Thanks again!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:42 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
For someone renting a car I personally think the location is about perfect. It doesn't take very long to cover the major touristic sites in Muscat, and the hotel is well placed geographically and to the highway.
l380 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.