Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to deal with prepaid rate drop

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
How to deal with prepaid rate drop

I made a reservation last night for this weekend at a StR in a resort locale at a prepaid rate. This morning, the rate dropped by $100 per night.

I called the plat line to see if I could get the rate changed. The first agent was in the process of doing it, but somehow the line dropped. I called back and got a new agent who said it couldn't be done but would be referred to the hotel. The hotel has responded with prepaid means prepaid, we're not changing it (albeit in a professional and polite manner).

Has anyone dealt with this? Ideas?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I called the plat line to see if I could get the rate changed. The first agent was in the process of doing it, but somehow the line dropped.
The cynic in me (and former hospitality call center employee) says this agent discovered she or he was trying to do something that wasn't possible without authorization from the hotel and "accidentally" dropped the call rather than own up to the mistake.

While $100/night is rough, I think you're essentially out of luck here.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:12 pm

I made a reservation last night for this weekend at a StR in a resort locale at a prepaid rate. This morning, the rate dropped by $100 per night.

I called the plat line to see if I could get the rate changed. The first agent was in the process of doing it, but somehow the line dropped. I called back and got a new agent who said it couldn't be done but would be referred to the hotel. The hotel has responded with prepaid means prepaid, we're not changing it (albeit in a professional and polite manner).

Interesting because I have never had a property say no in this situation. Did you call the hotel directly?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Interesting because I have never had a property say no in this situation. Did you call the hotel directly?
Yes. I was a little surprised. The rate dropped $100 within 12 hours.

Since I started this thread, they have come back offering a significant suite upgrade which I've agreed to.

Still ... one would think that kind of change in a short period would normally be taken care of. I'm a long time Plat Premier on the Marriott side with an Ambassador and am virtually certain they would have fixed this issue. This is not a knock on the SPG side ... they have excellent service as well ... just a little surprised.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:26 pm

Yes. I was a little surprised. The rate dropped $100 within 12 hours.

Since I started this thread, they have come back offering a significant suite upgrade which I've agreed to.

Still ... one would think that kind of change in a short period would normally be taken care of. I'm a long time Plat Premier on the Marriott side with an Ambassador and am virtually certain they would have fixed this issue. This is not a knock on the SPG side ... they have excellent service as well ... just a little surprised.
Definitely embarrassing on the SPG side ... Not sure what percent $100 is off your original rate or the dollar value of your upgrade but I lean towards insisting on the $100 off and of course keeping the free upgrade. I would talk to someone at the property who can correct their previous error in judgement especially since we are talking about 12 hours.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
I had a couple of instances where I booked a prepay rate and discovered the rate dropped a few days later but my credit card hadn't been charged and I just changed the booking. In the end the lower rate was charged and no human intervention was needed.

Having said that, slightly a different scenario. In another instance, I booked a prepaid rate and cancelled it within 5 minutes. The credit card was still charged and the hotel initially refused to refund. Had to contact one of their managers and explained it was a genuine mistake and the fact that it was cancelled within 5 minutes and they finally agreed to refund.

So prepare to lose and it never hurts to ask nicely.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:02 am

it's with in 24 hours, can't you find any other site with lower price for price match?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite

My first thought was that I would search immediately for a BRG elsewhere at the lower rate (which may have trickled through to the 3rd parties already) and get the lower rate -20%. As I was already committed mentally to spending the original rate per night I would spend the saving on alcohol.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Java Titan
it's with in 24 hours, can't you find any other site with lower price for price match?
Yes agree with above. Just claim BRG online
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Yes agree with above. Just claim BRG online
Agree with this - and even if your claim fails, in my experience the BRG team often offers to match your booking to the new, lower price.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I assume you're OK with the hoel charging more in case the rate goes up, too? I completely agree with the hotel. You have to accept both the upside and the downside to prepaid rates.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I assume you're OK with the hoel charging more in case the rate goes up, too? I completely agree with the hotel. You have to accept both the upside and the downside to prepaid rates.
+1. I don't understand the surprise here. You booked prepaid because you wanted to lock in a rate that you felt was fair. You could've paid more for a flexible rate. But you did not. I don't see why you'd be surprised then to see the rate drop and think you should be entitled. I think the property offering a suite to you is above and beyond and you should feel quite thankful for that.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
t I lean towards insisting on the $100 off and of course keeping the free upgrade
If you insist a customer shouldn't be held to what they agreed to then you're also OK if the property calls back and says someone else needs the room and you need to pay $100 more, even though you have a confirmed reservation?

OP, I assume by "pre-paid" you also mean non-cancellable (if not, just cancel and rebook). You are getting what you agreed to pay for, so what do you need to "deal" with?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:03 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by CPRich
If you insist a customer shouldn't be held to what they agreed to then you're also OK if the property calls back and says someone else needs the room and you need to pay $100 more, even though you have a confirmed reservation?

OP, I assume by "pre-paid" you also mean non-cancellable (if not, just cancel and rebook). You are getting what you agreed to pay for, so what do you need to "deal" with?
UNLESS the hotel operates their revenue management like many SIXT (rental car company) locations do...

At several locations in the US, I can book a reservation through SIXT, get a confirmation number, go back and try to book the same reservation, and get a lower rate. Booking the lower rate and repeating the process will continue to yield lower and lower rates throughout several repeat processes (resulting in rates as low as $9 a day). While these reservations are not prepaid, it does seem a bit chintzy at best.

If a hotel is playing the same games with prepaid rates, I'd avoid that hotel...
Old Aug 6, 2017, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Disappointed at some of the posts here. We, as a frequent flyer community, should be helping each other out and offering constructive suggestions. OP had a legitimate question and was not demanding anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.