Community
Wiki Posts
Search

European SPG resort for honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

European SPG resort for honeymoon

For our honeymoon we are looking to do half at a beach resort and half at a city or two in Europe.

I'm looking for suggestions on great SPG resorts in Europe. Also, are any of these all inclusive? Is there anything I would really be missing my going to an SPG resort property vs an all inclusive caribbean resort?

Thanks for the help!!
Old May 6, 2017, 2:14 am

Hey OP - congratulations on the upcoming marriage! And welcome to Flyertalk!

Any idea of budget (either points or cash) that you'd be looking at for this trip? Do you have any SPG status or Suite Night (upgrade) awards that you could put towards this trip? And what month are you looking at, and how much time total?

SPG has some great properties in Portugal and Spain, including beach properties, that could together make a really great trip. A few nights in Lisbon, Madrid and/or Barcelona, along with a stay or two at one of the properties on the coast (or elsewhere) could be very nice.

I am really fond of both the Convento do Espinheiro in Portugal and the Marques de Riscal in Spain. Neither are beach or major city destinations, both both are more adult (than children) focused, with a nice balance between relaxing at the property and spending mornings or afternoons in the local towns/villages.

There are also some beautiful properties in the Greek Islands - which will be particularly expensive in July and August, but also quite romantic.

Giving us a bit more detail on what you might be looking for could be helpful!
Old May 6, 2017, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Don't overlook the ability to transfer SPG points into Marriott Rewards.

Use this 3rd party map as a starting point. Zoom in on an area. Click on a property. See redemption rates for standard rooms.

http://www.starwoodmap.com/

If you see a Starwood property that looks appealing go to the hotel master thread list (or try a FT search on the property name).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...read-list.html
Old May 6, 2017, 7:28 am

Hands down the most romantic resort in starwood europe:

http://www.schlossfuschlsalzburg.com/en
Old May 8, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
The St. Regis Mardavall on Mallorca definitely fits the description for a great beach honeymoon resort.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
A honeymoon through Spain taking in the Marques de Riscal and the Maria Cristina in San Sebastian, as well as perhaps one of the Design hotels in Madrid or Barcelona or the Alfonso XIII in Seville, would be quite memorable IMO.

But obviously that depends on whether you want to mix in some culture to your honeymoon, or just lie on the beach. Time of year is also crucial. July/August is ideal for Europe but a humid nightmare in the Caribbean...
Old May 8, 2017, 3:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by conner11
I'm looking for suggestions on great SPG resorts in Europe. Also, are any of these all inclusive? Is there anything I would really be missing my going to an SPG resort property vs an all inclusive caribbean resort?
I think the answers you will get really depend on your expectations of a 'great resort property'. Are you looking for a resort where everyone is "having fun", or somewhere a bit more refined and classy for your honeymoon ?
Old May 12, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
I highly recommend the Blue Palace in Crete, Greece for the beach portion. The best hotel I've ever stayed in.

See for yourself : http://www.bluepalace.gr/

Cat 6 hotel, but worth every single point!
Old May 13, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
If you're really flush with points, then the cat 7 SPG resorts on Sardinia are very nice with half board or full board (not AI). Greece also has some great beach resorts (especially Crete and Mykonos), as does Spain. Not familiar with the Portuguese properties.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Paris is usually on short lists for romantic cities. Prince de Galles is a Cat 7 in Paris which looks just wonderful. There are comments in both TA and SPG indicating that some believe it to be the best hotel in the SPG system. I'm thinking about a long weekend there in May,.... when I'm in Paris for the wedding of the son of one of my closest friends. (They're all from the Boston area, but chose Paris for the wedding venue because it's so romantic!)
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

I'm not swimming in points, so I'm trying to avoid a cateogry 6. I've found 2 marriott properties on Crete, Greece; domes of elouda and domes noruz chiana both for 45k. I also found a ritz carlton on the island of Abama (part of Spain, down by Africa) for 50k.

Anyone been to either of these 3, or other suggestions? Blue Palace looks great but again trying to keep it under 50k a night.

We definitely want a beach resort. The atmosphere of the resort is still up in the air (secluded vs more fun).

Thanks everyone for all the help!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:49 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by conner11
I'm not swimming in points, so I'm trying to avoid a cateogry 6. I've found 2 marriott properties on Crete, Greece; domes of elouda and domes noruz chiana both for 45k. I also found a ritz carlton on the island of Abama (part of Spain, down by Africa) for 50k.

Anyone been to either of these 3, or other suggestions? Blue Palace looks great but again trying to keep it under 50k a night.

We definitely want a beach resort. The atmosphere of the resort is still up in the air (secluded vs more fun).

Thanks everyone for all the help!
The Ritz Carlton Abama isn't on the island of Abama, it's on Tenerife - abama is the part of the island. You also have a Sheraton on Tenerife also which is a solid property.

Note that for some of the properties references you will run into stone/pebble beaches - something to take into account if you're dreaming of sandy beaches.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Please don't go to Tenerife for your honeymoon! I can't really comment on either Mar-wood property but, even if the resorts themselves are great, the island is mass market tourism, not exclusive honeymoon...
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Please ask MaRiot related question on its forum. This is the Starwood forum.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:37 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by remymartin
Please ask MaRiot related question on its forum. This is the Starwood forum.
That is what the OP did-ask about SPG properties. The responses mentioned the Marriott options. Please be nice to the newcomers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.