Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London - SPG or Marriott?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
It pains me to say this, but MR can be a better value in London if using points: a lot of the high-end MR properties are 45K of their points, which is 15K SPG points.

I still love the Sheraton Grand, but not for 20K SPG points/night.

Great Northern is a gem in the SPG program and worth the smaller rooms if you are coming or going via Eurostar.
I think the choice of hotels, be it Marriott or legacy Starwood properties, also depends on whether one is paying with cash or redeeming points.

I know others disagree with me, but I think the Marriott Maida Vale is an excellent value for paid cash stays because they have relatively low cash rates and excellent packages with bonus points, sometimes as much as 10,000 bonus points.

I like the Great Northern, but I think it is far too small of a hotel for anyone staying more than one or two nights. Especially if you have a plus-one.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SHLTP
If money were not a concern, which Starwood or Marriott property in London would be best for a tourist? Or are the non-Starwood/ Marriott options better like Rosewood? I stayed at Langham last time which was quite nice except the rooms were tiny. I'd prefer to stay at a SPG/ Marriott whenever possible if the QC good enough but can branch out (hence PDG over 4S in Paris but Peninsula over Sheraton in HK). Thanks.
I'm a huge fan of Peninsula hotels, but the London property isn't yet open.

I say it a lot, but I like the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House because (1) it's an upscale experience comparable to a Ritz-Carlton and (2) it's big enough that upgrades are generally easy to secure ahead of arrival. If I was paying cash, I would choose the Marriott Maida Vale because many of the packages come with 5,000 or 10,000 bonus points.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:43 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'm a huge fan of Peninsula hotels, but the London property isn't yet open.

I say it a lot, but I like the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House because (1) it's an upscale experience comparable to a Ritz-Carlton and (2) it's big enough that upgrades are generally easy to secure ahead of arrival. If I was paying cash, I would choose the Marriott Maida Vale because many of the packages come with 5,000 or 10,000 bonus points.
I understand why you might enjoy the Grosvenor House JW Marriott...but I think even you will acknowledge it’s not in the same class as even some of the best JW Marriotts, let alone anything like a Peninsula or anything else in the top rung of London hotels.

Just as SPG isn’t quite as top drawer in London compared with its incredible luxury options in other major world capitals, so too are the Marriott options pretty underwhelming comparatively speaking. Of course, when we compare against places like a Peninsula, that’s some seriously tough competition, indeed!

But the Marriott Maida Vale? While I’m sure it’s a fine hotel for you, you must know it isn’t even particularly upscale, let alone remotely luxurious...and luxury is obviously what the OP wants and what this thread is about! Come now!

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 14, 2018 at 9:06 am
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhrubin

I understand why you might enjoy the Grosvenor House JW Marriott...but I think even you will acknowledge it’s not in the same class as even some of the best JW Marriotts, let alone anything like a Peninsula or anything else in the top rung of London hotels.

Just as SPG isn’t quite as top drawer in London compared with its incredible luxury options in other major world capital, so too are the Marriott options pretty underwhelming comparatively speaking. Of course, when we compare against places like a Peninsula, that’s some seriously tough competition, indeed!

But the Marriott Maida Vale? While I’m sure it’s a fine hotel for you, you must know it isn’t even particularly upscale, let alone remotely luxurious...and luxury is obviously what the OP wants and what this thread is about! Come now!
I disagree about the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House. Is it a Peninsula? No, though I wouldn't necessarily say that all of the Peninsula hotels are equal. For example, I wasn't impressed with the Chicago Peninsula when I stayed there before it was fully renovated. But it is a real good property for J.W. Marriott, especially now that a good number of rooms and suites are renovated.

I admitted the Marriott Maida Vale wasn't luxurious nor even premium. But if I was using my cash and I played the points game, I would stay there because I could rack up a significant number of bonus points.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:07 am

Since OP starts with trying to limit expenses, I am guessing that various, more upscale properties may not fit the bill. OP doesn't say much about what expectations are for the property. For me, I don't care too much about high end amenities, particularly on a short trip such as OP describes. I would guess that a short trip would be spent out and about, rather than at the spa. If paying with points, I think the MR at Regents Park is a good compromise... close to the tube, lounge, reasonably quiet and not particularly expensive at 40K MR points.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Since the poster asked the same question in the MR forum too, might want to first make sure that status night accumulating isn't a criterion (given that we still have no idea if 2018 activity is combining for 2019)
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:34 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by xooz
Since OP starts with trying to limit expenses, I am guessing that various, more upscale properties may not fit the bill. OP doesn't say much about what expectations are for the property. For me, I don't care too much about high end amenities, particularly on a short trip such as OP describes. I would guess that a short trip would be spent out and about, rather than at the spa. If paying with points, I think the MR at Regents Park is a good compromise... close to the tube, lounge, reasonably quiet and not particularly expensive at 40K MR points.
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by SHLTP
If money were not a concern, which Starwood or Marriott property in London would be best for a tourist? Or are the non-Starwood/ Marriott options better like Rosewood? I stayed at Langham last time which was quite nice except the rooms were tiny. I'd prefer to stay at a SPG/ Marriott whenever possible if the QC good enough but can branch out (hence PDG over 4S in Paris but Peninsula over Sheraton in HK). Thanks.
Sorry, I wasn’t responding to the OP but to the above posted request from @SHLTP. A little confusion as I think some of us are trying to answer to that post and others to the OP. Perhaps we should quote the original query to which we are responding to help clarify our answers for the right audience!
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by vd0t
These look reasonably close to where I'd like to stay:

Cat 6:
W London - Leicester Square
Le Méridien Piccadilly
The Westbury, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Mayfair-London
Sheraton Grand London Park Lane
The Park Tower Knightsbridge, A Luxury Collection Hotel, London

Cat 7:
The Wellesley Knightsbridge, A Luxury Collection Hotel, London

Of the Cat 6, any standouts?
Sheraton Grand > Westbury. Room size, elite recognition, and has a lounge.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Sheraton Grand > Westbury. Room size, elite recognition, and has a lounge.
YMMV. No suite for me at the Sheraton but SNAs cleared easily at the Westbury. Also IMO Westbury has a slightly better location (though both good).

I thought the lounge at the Sheraton too was a disappointment...breakfast was sub-par. Enjoyed the (free) full Plat breakfast at the Westbury.

That being said, still the nicest Sheraton I've ever been to...
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Thank you all for suggestions. I am going to try one of them if the location is near by business partner. Will report back in a few months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.