Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Seeking recommendations: Luxury SPG resort in Spain or Italy on the coast.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Looking to take my wife to Spain or Italy for at least a week, maybe two, next summer in either Spain or Italy for vacation. In the past we've always limited ourselves to Ritz Carlton resorts but with the merger I'm interested in learning about the high end brands of the SPG program that are beach resorts and preferably with a Concierge or Club level option.

Open to all suggestions. Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: SPG
Pine Cliffs Hotel in Albufeira, Portugal
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FozBoy
Pine Cliffs Hotel in Albufeira, Portugal
What a coincidence. That is the first one I found when searching hotels in the area on the SPG site. What is the primary reason you recommend this hotel?

So can you provide your experience with staying at this resort? Which room type did you use? Proximity/convenience accessing the beach? Do they have a club level or concierge floor like RC offers? It appears there are only two restaurants. Did you dine in the nearby area?

I appreciate any information you can provide.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
St Regis Mallorca
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You're going to struggle to find a luxury holiday resort that has a Club lounge. At least from SPG in the Med. I can't think of any...

But if your tastes run to the high-end you will want either Sardinia or Mallorca. Try to drop by San Sebastian and the Marques de Riscal in La Rioja as well...
Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not beach or really a resort, but the LC in Seville is stunning.

OTOH the W in Barcelona is located right on the sea, although there's no lounge. It reminds me of the Arts Hotel Barcelona that you might know.

Do you consider Venice to be the coast? There are some nice high end SPG choices there, IIRC with at least one located on an island which would seem more like a resort. Just don't try to swim in the canals!
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I can help out with Spain and Portugal as we have done 3 trips there over the last couple of years. Here's my ranking based on the SPG properties we stayed at:

Pine Cliffs Ocean Suites Albufeira - nice resort with beach access. If you stay during the busy times of the season there are a lot of kids at the property!

Hotel Marques de Riscal - I know it's not a beach resort but this is a great property with very good service, excellent restaurants and a nice spa.

Le Meridien Ra Beach - A very nice beach front property with very good service. The town it is located in is however not upscale but we enjoyed our time there. The hotel is nice but not the most luxurious of hotels.

W Barcelona - I like the location and the hotel BUT the rooms are showing their age and the hotel service leaves a lot to be desired. We have stayed here twice so don't get me wrong it's a good option but set your expectations accordingly.

NONE of the hotels will have a club lounge!

If you are willing to go outside of the SPG/MR system and willing to pay for the room, then I would wander over to the Luxury Hotels forum and do some digging there. If that is an option I would recommend Vila Vita Parc in Porches Portugal and the incredible Can Simoneta (an adult only property so no kids) on Mallorca. I posted some pics of our wonderful stay in the following thread...my pics are post #15) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...what-best.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.