Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:31 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Recent Loyalty Lobby post about a March 23rd interview with Arne Sorenson (posted by Hotel News Now, to give due credit).

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/04/04/...-program-name/

In it, Arne has confirmed that the programs will be merged in the second half of 2018, and have a new name assigned in 2019.

From a comment posted on Loyalty Lobby, it also sounds like he's exploring a market-based redemption, which is... well, scary.

Youtube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY59...ature=youtu.be
svo242 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:19 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
We will find out in 10 days...

I was invited to an event in Manhattan in which the new programme will be rolled out.
BrightlyBob, svo242 and Absolute like this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Wow, this is all exciting but also a bit nerve-wracking!

I have a big stay at the end of May and I really hope the new program goes into effect after (unless it ends up offering better benefits, but I'm doubtful, particularly for the St. Regis.).

As the blog post notes, this quote seems a bit concerning "...to deliver even more value to our guests at more cost effective terms to our hotel owners and drive loyalty program that is second to none." Hard to maintain some nice benefits if driving down the cost for hotels (I'm not thinking we're going to see breakfast at resorts and Ritz/St. Regis properties).
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:49 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uxb
I was invited to an event in Manhattan in which the new programme will be rolled out.
I (and I think most people here) will be anxiously waiting with baited breath for every detail, scanned document, and webcast of the new program
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:07 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by Absolute
I (and I think most people here) will be anxiously waiting with baited breath for every detail, scanned document, and webcast of the new program
This ^^^
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I am very anxious now. I am 60 nights short to earn life time gold.

i have 10+ nights stays book until early June now. And will requalify as Platinum again by then. Or probably short few starts/nigts

thinking how to cheaply clock 50 nights in 6 months
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by lingua101
I am very anxious now. I am 60 nights short to earn life time gold.

i have 10+ nights stays book until early June now. And will requalify as Platinum again by then. Or probably short few starts/nigts

thinking how to cheaply clock 50 nights in 6 months
1) Relax. Not worth stressing over.

2) How old are you? If you're young, as I suspect, you have plenty of time to earn higher lifetime tier status. If that's the case, you're panicking for no reason.

3) Marriott will do a conversion of all of your Starwood stays so you won't lose them.

4) Save your money. This is not worth doing a bunch mattress runs to get to LT Gold.

5) Requirements will be clear before Starwood's program goes away. Wait until you know details before trying to get a bunch of nights.

Marriott has always treated me and every other Marriott Rewards more than fairly. I expect the same with Starwood members, in spite of what you may read on this subforum. I'm a Marriott lifetime Plat and a Starwood lifetime Gold (only need the years for Starwood lifetime Plat) so I know both programs very well.

Since you're going to be a Starwood Plat, you don't need to worry about lifetime Gold until your annual stays decline.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:24 am

If you are technically SPG Platinum right now until the end of Feb.2019 - Do you think that will not change.........and the new changes will take effect at the end of that period.
They wouldn't change this in the middle of the year, would they!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:53 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I'd guess it most likely they will announce it sometime this year (i.e. this summer) with most of the big changes starting Jan. 1, 2019. Marriott has historically been pretty good about giving us a good heads-up before big changes occur.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:16 pm

I sure hope they allow the current levels, whether it be gold/Plat whatever, to go until the end of February. I have some vacation booked in February and am hoping to still have my Plat status!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:52 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I'd guess it most likely they will announce it sometime this year (i.e. this summer) with most of the big changes starting Jan. 1, 2019. Marriott has historically been pretty good about giving us a good heads-up before big changes occur.
I am guessing it will change at the end of February, right?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
My guess is that the program will change (combine) as of 1/1; existing status will last until 2/28/19 or 2/29/20 (depending on which year it was earned).
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by sethb
My guess is that the program will change (combine) as of 1/1; existing status will last until 2/28/19 or 2/29/20 (depending on which year it was earned).
I think that's the most likely scenario. The details are likely to be announced in the second half of this year, to take effect in 2019.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Wonder what will happen to RC rewards .... would it be better for marriot to just merge RC rewards and Marriott rewards now ? since both programs are interchangeable anyway ?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:02 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Wonder what will happen to RC rewards .... would it be better for marriot to just merge RC rewards and Marriott rewards now ? since both programs are interchangeable anyway ?
Yes, all the programs will be merging into a single, combined one. I’m guessing we’ll also see all the hotels move onto one website and reservations engine sooner than later at this point as well.

We’re moving!

khabah

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.