Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary water bottles removed?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2016, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, SPG
Complimentary water bottles removed?

I am used to always getting two bottles of complimentary water at any SPG hotel across the world, which is a nice little perk. I used to at Four Points Perth in Western Australia until recently but a couple of months ago they removed the water from the rooms. On a recent stay I called and asked if they had forgotten to stock my room with water and was told that it was a conscious decision to save the environment. They were happy to send me two bottles if I didn't want to drink out of the tap.
Is this a hotel specific decision or something I (we) should get used to?
Have you seen the same elsewhere?
Old Jun 19, 2016, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by flybob
I am used to always getting two bottles of complimentary water at any SPG hotel across the world, which is a nice little perk. I used to at Four Points Perth in Western Australia until recently but a couple of months ago they removed the water from the rooms. On a recent stay I called and asked if they had forgotten to stock my room with water and was told that it was a conscious decision to save the environment. They were happy to send me two bottles if I didn't want to drink out of the tap.
Complimentary Water by Brand ...

Lurkers, are there any changes to the above?

Sounds like a hotel (possibly regional) specific change. I will wait for the Lurkers to chime in with current information.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME it tends to be the higher end hotels that don't necessarily give out water, although I can't recall any recent examples.

My most recent LC stay did give two small water bottles per day on coasters that said it was from Starwood.

ADDED: BTW in the USA usually they put Starwood hang tags on the free water while in Europe I see the coasters under each bottle.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 20, 2016 at 2:59 am
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Exactly why do you need bottled water when there is an endless supply of potable water from the tap? Perth provides world standard conforming water from its taps.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Exactly why do you need bottled water when there is an endless supply of potable water from the tap? Perth provides world standard conforming water from its taps.
My bottled water goes in my bag and consumed during my meetings for the day. A inexpensive and simple perk that many chains provide to most elites.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, SPG
Partly because the water out of the tap taste like .... and partly because I like the bottles (having them next to the bed and to bring to the gym and work the next day). And the question was not just about the Perth location but more general.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:04 am

hey flybob

NOticed in Sydney that Sheraton on the park rarely puts water in rooms now ... The eatin Sydney seems to be every second stay. four points Sydney only does in their suites based on experience. I think the problem is if you are platinum and you don't buy an exec room they upgrade u to a room up but aren't coordinated enough to get water to that room

Partly because the water out of the tap taste like .... and partly because I like the bottles (having them next to the bed and to bring to the gym and work the next day). And the question was not just about the Perth location but more general.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:09 am
kkl

STR BKK had about 4-5x 300ml bottles provided per day
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
My bottled water goes in my bag and consumed during my meetings for the day. A inexpensive and simple perk that many chains provide to most elites.
If its in the listed benefits of the Tier then you have an argument. Otherwise its just a arbitrary benefit. A good one where water quality may be suspect but unnecessary in regions of good water supply.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by kkl
STR BKK had about 4-5x 300ml bottles provided per day
If BKK had the water quality of Perth it may be relevant. I lived in Perth for years and now live on the gold coast and never consider drinking bottled water, its totally unnecessary when you get high quality out of the tap.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Exactly why do you need bottled water when there is an endless supply of potable water from the tap?
The water may be clean, but the bathroom glassware less so.....
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
The water may be clean, but the bathroom glassware less so.....
You can wash that glass with tap water, which would be better than using bottled water.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/7763038/Bottled-water-contains-more-bacteria-than-tap-water.html
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
As thatsthatmattressman wrote, Sheraton On The Park (Sydney) didn't have bottled water. This sounds like an Oz-specific trend as I haven't run into any other spg properties without bottled water for years.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
I never knew bottled water was a brand wide or company wide policy. I don't recall consistently getting free water at Westin.

I always thought bottled water was a hotel specific thing
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I seem to see more properties now asking/offering bottles of water at the front desk during check-in, vs. stocking them in the rooms.

Honestly I like that a little more as they're often kept cold in an office fridge or something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.