Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need some advice on Hawaii hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Thanks for the tips as well all. In the planning stage for a possible Hawaiian vacation myself in September.

Our "spot" has always been the Villas in Maui. Was thinking of trying Princeville but am "afraid" it will be too quiet. We love the Villas and we kid ourselves "staying up late when it's 10 PM. But we get up around 5 AM and just walk along the beach and enjoy a slow morning crawl as the rest of the guest start to mill around.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:17 pm

Stayed at St Regis Princeville and I loved it. Kauai is my favorite place on earth. I'd def give the Westin Maui a shot too. The location was great, the pool area was fun, and the plat breakfast can't beat beat (except by St. Regis).

I did both for New Year's this year and will likely do the same when I go back to see VCU in next year's Maui Invitational.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Having gone to HNL many times over many years and see how its changed, agree with the rest, don't waste your points there and the Royal Hawaiian is definitely no longer the 5 star experience it once was, nor is there any beach left to speak of in waikiki.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by Tommys888
Would be great to have some advice here on Hawaii hotels since during the last category change I remember that there was a significant amount of category increase for Hawaii hotel redemptions...

I myself and my wife plan to go to Hawaii for vacation from 7/25 to 8/6 and we plan to leverage our points to maximize their values, but we are okay to pay cash as well if needed. We have in total about 250K starpoints and 100K Hyatt points and 200K Chase points which should be easily transferable. Due to the merger, preference is to burn starpoints first. We want to go to Island of Hawaii, stay in Honolulu for sure and maybe another island if time allows.

Any suggestions on good redemption values?
From the perspective of "good redemption values" at Starwood properties, My top 3 recommendations would be:
Sheraton Kauai at 12,000 points per night
Sheraton Maui at 20,000 points per night
Royal Hawaiian at 20,000 points per night.

As others have indicated, Princeville is wonderful but it's 30,000 + points per night.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by CarNut
One of the worst hotel stays we have ever had was at The Westin Moana Surfrider. It was so bad that they actually refunded us most of the points we used for the stay. There is ZERO reason to go to Honolulu in my opinion.
care to share?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
No reason at all to go to Honolulu - it is just a big city with lots of activity but none of the Hawaiian feel.

As for the other islands, go to Maui for activity and Kauai for peace and quiet. If you can get reservations at the Andaz it is great. If not, try and stay at the Grand Wailea and upgrade to the Napua rooms. Fantastic food and drinks. On Kauai, the Grand Hyatt is our favorite.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Kids

Any thought on best for small kids? Kids club?

Looks like Westin Princeville has a kids club? Any others?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by JBauer
Any thought on best for small kids? Kids club?

Looks like Westin Princeville has a kids club? Any others?
I can't speak to the kids club but, we really enjoyed everything about our stay at the Westin Princeville.

And as far as going to Kauai for peace and quiet... I agree and I don't. Kauai can be a most relaxing escape, if you want that, or it can be an adventure filled marathon with all the spectacular hikes, ATV's, Helicopter and boat tours. That's how our trip was. We did all of the above. You want to get your adrenaline running, hike out onto any one of several ridges up in Kokee State Park that have out of this world views and 2000- 3000 foot drop offs towards the Napali coast
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by deant
No reason at all to go to Honolulu - it is just a big city with lots of activity but none of the Hawaiian feel.
For some of us who are urban oriented and who have a small tolerance for isolated areas, there is every reason to visit Honolulu. Different strokes, and all that.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:47 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by CarNut
One of the worst hotel stays we have ever had was at The Westin Moana Surfrider. It was so bad that they actually refunded us most of the points we used for the stay. There is ZERO reason to go to Honolulu in my opinion.
I second having a very "meh" stay at this property.

It's nice to have a walk around, or through, but I doubt I would stay here again unless it was needed.

Lounge was memorable however. . .
Old Jun 10, 2016, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by deant
That may be your idea of Hawaii but it's not very accurate.

-David
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
That may be your idea of Hawaii but it's not very accurate.

-David
Everyone who has been to Hawaii more than once thinks they're the definitive expert on what the "real" Hawaii is. To some, it's the perfectly manicured properties of a luxury beachfront hotel they rarely leave; to others, not so much. In my opinion a good place to start to understand the "real" Hawaii would be to read the autobiography of Lilioukalani.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.