Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Corinthia Nevskij Palace hotel in St. Petersburg - Sheraton Connection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2004, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium

Been doing some hotel searching for an upcoming stay in St. Petersburg, Russia, and this one looks pretty attractive. It's my understanding that this is not a Starwood property (and that there are no Starwoods in St. P - correct me if I'm wrong), but the hotel's web site address is:

http://sheraton.hotels.spb.ru/

Not sure what that all means since Sheraton is in the URL. If anyone has any thoughts on this - or recommendations on where to stay in St. P since no Starwood - please let me know. Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2004, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I haven't stayed there, but this site] suggests that the peoperty was a Sheraton until being reflagged in Jan. 2002.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 4:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by u2vox:
If anyone has any thoughts on this - or recommendations on where to stay in St. P since no Starwood - please let me know. Thanks! </font>

It used to be a Sheraton until Corinthia took it over. See http://http://www.times.spb.ru/archive/times/687/news/b_4030.htm.

It is a nice property. After it left Starwood, I started renting local apartments. Very nice places in the nicest buildings right on or near Nevsky Prospect are available at very reasonable prices.

The Grand Hotel is perhaps the best hotel in Russia. The new SAS is also very nice.

Please contact me for further details. I can set you up with a driver there (and in Moscow), etc.

St. Petersburg is one of my favorite cities.

Old Feb 24, 2004, 5:45 pm
Suspended

FWIW, there is to be Marriott afilliated property in the heart of St. Petersburg Russia named the Renn Baltic, I believe.

You can access it on the Marriott website.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:48 pm

Alas, as previous posters have mentioned, Nevskij Palace is no longer a Sheraton property. Starwood please come back to this wonderful city!

However, there is still Radison SAS Royal
http://www.radissonsas.com/servlet/C...otelCode=ledzh

a Kempinski hotel - Grand Hotel Europe
http://www.kempinski.com/en/main.php...ope/europe.php

and soon to come Renaissance Baltic Hotel
http://marriott.com/property/propert...rshaCode=LEDBR
Old Feb 24, 2004, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Thanks for all your replies. I wonder why the Nevskij Palace is still allowed to use a sheraton-related URL for it's home page...
Old Feb 27, 2004, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by u2vox:
Thanks for all your replies. I wonder why the Nevskij Palace is still allowed to use a sheraton-related URL for it's home page...</font>
They probably own it.

The hotel had a lot of construction problems, (it is sinking) and is now owned by a Malta company that is supposed to be owned by Libia or Libian Govt.

I thought the Kempinski nicer, and with a better location.

Old Feb 29, 2004, 1:33 am

My wife and I stayed at the Nevskij Palace when it was under Sheraton management 4 years ago. We have also stayed at the Grand Hotel and we prefer the Grand. Grand is in a better location and in better shape.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 9:48 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
A Russian (or Russian-Cyprus based) company made them an offer and it was accepted. I don't get to stay at the hotels in St. Pete since I have an apartment there now; however some of the Russian hotels are decent and won't cost you an arm and a leg. Best Western has a decent hotel there and some of the Russian hotels, although not exactly up to Western standards, offer a clean, comfortable and safe place to stay. Personally, I like the St. Petersburg (on the Neva River) or the Pribaltiskaya (on the Baltic Sea). All the hotels on Nevsky are overpriced and in the "tourist" zone. Your dollars and rubles, will fly away quickly en masse.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 10:42 pm
Original Member

We stayed this past October, for 4 nights.
It is still a very nice hotel! We also stayed 4 years ago, when it was a Sheraton. Other then the name I didn't see any difference.

And I can tell you the hotel is not sinking!
,Tho, They were doing some major repairs on the building next to it.

The hotel website:

http://www.corinthiahotels.com/index.asp

We booked our stay with a company called www.Booktravelbound.com, and got a great prepaid rate around 145usd including breakfast.

Marvella

[This message has been edited by Marvella (edited Feb 29, 2004).]
Old Mar 1, 2004, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marvella:

And I can tell you the hotel is not sinking!
,Tho, They were doing some major repairs on the building next to it.

Marvella

[This message has been edited by Marvella (edited Feb 29, 2004).]
</font>

You sure about that? There were some articles about it in the Russian English language newspapers.

Additional floors were added, and it had sunk a foot or two. The buildings on either side were closed, as they begin tilting toward the hotel.

$145 is a great rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.