Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Please Report Your Problems Receiving Gold Member Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please Report Your Problems Receiving Gold Member Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium,
William, for the last several months I have been spending a lot of nights at the Sheraton in Burlington VT, and the Sheraton in Danbury CT. The Danbury property is rather good about upgrading me from a standard room to a room on the club floor, although I have yet to see a suite. The Burlington property, however, is another matter. I consistently inquire about upgrades to their "club floor" and they consistently tell me that nothing is available. I've spent at least six or seven times in recent months, and I've been put in some of the worst rooms in that hotel.

No other thoughts right now...hope that helps!
Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:22 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RWHfromBOS:
William, for the last several months I have been spending a lot of nights at the Sheraton in Burlington VT, and the Sheraton in Danbury CT. The Danbury property is rather good about upgrading me from a standard room to a room on the club floor, although I have yet to see a suite. The Burlington property, however, is another matter. I consistently inquire about upgrades to their "club floor" and they consistently tell me that nothing is available. I've spent at least six or seven times in recent months, and I've been put in some of the worst rooms in that hotel.

No other thoughts right now...hope that helps!
</font>
RWHfromBOS, which status do you have (If you have Platinum status: there's another thread about Platinum upgrade and the amenity.) ? This thread is about SPG Gold benefits. An upgrade to a suite is not a Gold benefit.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 12:09 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AndrewM:
This rule does not apply at Sheraton Buckhead Atlanta.

September 02 staying on a weekend rate "Rooms are available but you need 750 starpoints to upgrade to Club floor"

February 03. on Government rate "You need to pay an additional $20.00 to upgrade to Club floor"

</font>
A Preferred Room is not necessarily on the club level. Check the definition provided in the Terms and Conditions. It specifically mentions what is defined as a Preferred Room and doesn't say anything about rooms on the club level.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Mar 21, 2003, 12:44 pm
ajb

Two weeks ago I got an upgrade to the Club Floor at the Sheraton Rittenhouse without asking - very nice. Much more problamatic at the Sheraton Centre Toronto where I have been staying every other week since the beginning of the year. I usually get the preferred floor without asking, but they never offer Club Floor and usually turn me down when I ask. Even on the preferred floor, I had to ask for my WSJ last time.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 9:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Starwood Lurker:
A Preferred Room is not necessarily on the club level. Check the definition provided in the Terms and Conditions. It specifically mentions what is defined as a Preferred Room and doesn't say anything about rooms on the club level.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
</font>
Well, even after paying the extra $20 they have asked, I noticed there was no difference between the rooms on the club floor with the rooms on other floors.
Plus it appeared no one from the Cleaning crew have visited this room for days.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
What gold benefits?
Old Mar 25, 2003, 12:18 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Before I address the various Starwood property issues I have had in the past year, I can confirm that I just received my 2003 SPG Gold card and 'package' today in the mail. A bit disappointed that it looks the same as last year, but that's a minor concern.

Starwood Issues:

1) Why has the online booking bonus totally disappeared? That was one of the major benefits of spg.com or the others. I have now started booking elsewhere and Starwood properties would have to pay a commission. Not not make both parties happy - or am I missing something?

2) Sheraton Hotel Pulitzer, AMS - How can this property consider itself to be in the Luxury Collection? Honestly. Altough they did recognize that we were both Gold, the room was just standard. This property is at Sheraton level, IMHO.

3) Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, YVR - This property experience depends on many factors - the staff turnover on the front desk can be quite high and there are times when I get a new person who acts as though they have never seen a SPG card before. My most recent experience involved being given a room that had not yet been cleaned and then when moved to a second room in the other tower, was given the 'standard' room. I called down to the front desk and mentioned it and was given the reply "it's the only room ready right now". I said I would wait for another room and was told "that room type is all that's available tonight". I pressed further and a supervisor came on the line and apologized saying "we have given you a split-level loft room". Excellent! Though almost every visit is a challenge to SPG members. Don't even get me started about the late checkout - even 2 pm can be like pulling teeth for this place.

4) Sheraton Safari Lake Buena Vista, MCO - Forget SPG anything at this location. They claimed to have upgraded us to a suite, but the place was a dump! Total dump! The wallpaper was coming off the walls, the non-smoking room smelled like a pub and sheets had burn holes in them. Yikes.

5) Westin Grand Bohemian, MCO - I can't say enough about this Westin. Truly amazing. Nothing but kudos.

6) W Seattle, SEA - This place needs serious education on how to treat guests, SPG or not. On one stay a year ago, I requested a late checkout and was told that anything past 2 pm was chargeable. I mentioned SPG Gold and was told "is 3 pm enough time"? Arrrghh. The clincher? I check-out just after 2 pm and am given a copy of my folio folded in an envelope. I get in the car and got this feeling that I should check the bill. I open it up to find that a half day extra charge was applied to the bill! I headed back in and they were so indifferent that I could have screamed. Other stays have ranged from good to fair.

6) Westin Regina Los Cabos, SJD - Wonderful week long stay at this property. The complimentary Club lounge access was a great way to finish off each afternoon and much appreciated.

7) Westin LAX - This location seems to always be very busy and although they never acknowledge SPG status, my rooms have always been satisfactory.

8) Westin Prince, YYZ - I get the feeling that this location reluctantly belongs to the Starwood program. For it's location in North York, you would sort of expect that it would offer some nice amenities in the room to make up for the distance from 'everything else Toronto has to offer'. Not even a minibar in the room. No upgrades given.

9) Westin Portland, PDX - Wonderful property. I may try the Hotel Lucia next time in PDX, however, I have told numerous friends and family that this Westin is one of my favourites.

I will continue to be a loyal SPG member, however, having to 'push' for a late checkout at many properties is very annoying and can cause some unneeded stress.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 10:40 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I just checked in President Wilson Hotel in Geneva as a GOLD and got nothing extra.

I'm regular guest at this hotel and I've been provided with a welcome gift in the past though I wasn't GOLD. This is my first stay at this hotel as a GOLD and it didn't seem I got anything for my GOLD status.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:10 pm

I also stayed at the Westin in Portland (last week) - although at check-in my res incorrectly showed a smoking room - they moved me into non smoking with an upgrade to an "office" room with printer - The printer didn't work though !

I did appreciate their effort - one of the better properties in the Northwest..
Old Mar 26, 2003, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
I've had a mixed bag in Chicago...

The W City Center upgraded me to a fantastic suite (thank you thank you)...

The W Lakeshore has upgraded me to a room with a view of the lake... (upgrade is a funny word sometimes) and ...

I think the staff at the Westin on Michigan need to be taught what the acronym SPG stands for -- as mentioned in other posts... the Westin on Michigan has MAJOR issues all around the board.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And a few more experiences from this week:

Sheraton Towers Singapore - Recognition of my gold status, an apology that they could not upgrade me as they were full. 'Will you be taking advantage of the 4pm check out benefit?'

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok - Acknowledgement of status, and 4pm check out offered. Upgraded to SPG floor - which are half of the floors in the hotel. No visible indication other than this that the room was preferred. Not that it bothers me that much as the hotel is FANTASTIC.

Sheraton Towers Hong Kong. Status acknowledged, 4pm check out - of course. Upgraded to a newly refurbished Towers room - but only the room, none of the other benefits. Again, not complaining at the new rooms are pretty nice.

In summary, I would say that my biggest gripe is knowing what a preferred room is - sometimes very obvious, sometimes not. How about publishing in the hotel what constitutes preferred?

More to come from the US and Canada this weekend...
Old Mar 27, 2003, 7:11 pm

What gold benefits? The only time I had a stay that an upgrade would have been nice to have, no dice even though I tried mightily. I get the extra point per $ but that's it.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And a few more!

Sheraton Gateway Toronto Airport: I got a room on one of the SPG floors, so I guess that counts as an upgrade. 4pm check out was offered

Sheraton Grande DFW Airport: Upgraded to a corner room, which was pretty nice. Did overhear 2 bumpees from AA being put into the Presidential Suite though... Didn't check on late check out.

Four Points LAX Airport: A disappointment. An ordinary room on the SPG floor, next to the lifts. Had to have my first full blown argument with reception over a 4pm check in. She was adamant it was only for Plats. After a phone call to the duty manager she grudingly relented. I'd been lead to believe this was a good property - everything from that experience to the transfer driver hustling for a tip makes me think not.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 7:12 am

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Summary of my stays in the last 6 months:

Arabella Sheraton Neues Schloss Zurich - no room upgrade (room overlooked parking lot and garbage dump!). No mention made of Gold-specific amenities. Newspapers were free to all guests anyway. Did not use 4 pm checkout.

Arabella Sheraton Atlantis Zurich - no room upgrade although room had panoramic city view (maybe this was a preferred room but was never told that). Newspapers available at lobby for all guests. Did not use 4 pm checkout.

Prince de Galle Paris - room was tiny! Had to move luggage to move around the room. Asked chamber maid if my room was any better than the rest and she said it's pretty much the low end. Was given a box of chocolates on the second day. No newspapers delivered during my stay although saw newspaper hanging in some of the other rooms' door handles. Must be Plats.

Sheraton Towers Singapore - so-called preferred room no different than ordinary room, except for an electric kettle for boiling water. When complained, did not move me to a better room but offered services of a butler who offered a fruit plate and unlimited supply of tea bags and instant coffee. Newspaper delivered every morning.

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Bangkok - room in specifically designated SPG floor (which means this benefit was extended to Preferred Guests as well, so not a Gold benefit per se). Fruit basket daily. Newspaper delivered every day. 4 pm checkout given not automatically but when asked for. Free access to magnificent health club but this benefit extended to ALL guests.

Westin Philippines Manila - was specifically told my room is preferred, i.e. overlooking magnificent pool. Strangely for a city with dozens of newspapers, no newspaper delivered to my room each morning. No other Gold amenities offered. Asked for and got 4 pm checkout.

In contrast:

Hilton Paris - booked cheapest room, upgraded to a much-sought-after room overlooking Eiffel Tower. Free post-breakfast refreshments in the Club lounge and unlimited use of lounge outside of breakfast hours. Anyway lounge facilities and freebies nothing to write home about.

Conrad Singapore- booked award stay, given room on Club/Executive floor, free breakfast at the Club lounge or lobby restaurant, unlimited access to lounge at all hours. Forgot to request 4pm checkout but no hassle when I checked out at 4pm.

My conclusion:

I know from reading this forum that SPG takes good care of Plats, but if your lodging frequency limits you to being Gold (like me), Hilton takes better care of you. The SPG Gold member benefits described in the T&Cs are much too ambiguous and of spurious benefit anyway. Not a rant, just, I hope, objective observations based on my actual experience in the last 6 months.

One thing I like about SPG though is that you can combine an award and paid stay consecutively and get points and stay credits. Not so with Hilton.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 7:43 am

Programs: UAL 1k, *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Sheraton @ BWI, I was told upgrades were limited to Plat.

Tysons Corner (VA) Sheraton, When they actually staff the club room or the restaurants, they have been pretty generous on club access and alleged upgrades. However there are other issues associated with this hotel. I am like most though; I have no idea if it is indeed an upgrade or just a floor with SPG plaques glued to the wall.

Yet to see suite anywhere, are Gold's eligible for these comp upgrades?

PS, William you may want to indicate a close date on your mini survey since I may be too late! And, keep up the good work.

[This message has been edited by castle (edited 04-03-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.