Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE as of 3/09 Sheraton Mencey, Tenerife, Canary Islands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE as of 3/09 Sheraton Mencey, Tenerife, Canary Islands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2003, 9:42 am

A quick search of the archives yields:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/004285.html

My experience: Nice hotel infrastructure, poor management. If you're a non-smoker, beware of the non smoking rooms which vent smoke in from the smoking rooms in the new wing.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:57 pm

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Not much of a feedback on this property. Did a search and just few remards.

I'm planning to go to Tenerife for a weekends on 6-8 February. Would appreciate any tips on the property and the area. It's my first time to Tenerife.

Gracias
Old Jan 16, 2004, 6:18 am

Tenerife is a very nice island. I've been there twice and loved it both times. The three hotels I stayed were not fancy but nice (sorry nothing on the Sheraton). The one thing I would make sure to do is go up the Volcano (via the tram). That is awesome. I think it is one the tallest in the world.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 3:06 am
lex

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, Hhonors Diamond
im typing now from the mency in tenerife. hotel is nice. Staff is not too knowledgeble or helpful. I have tried for 3 days to hook up my internet connection in the business center (which is free). They told me I needed a standard ethernet cable which they provided on 2 occasions. I tried all kinds of settings, automatic, and otherwise on my laptop but couldnt get it working. today when I asked, they said you need these settings.. so it works!

here it is in case anyone needs it.. (also bring your own ETHERNET cable to plug in)

manual settings:
IP 192.168.1.4
subnet: 255.255.255.0
GATEway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 194.224.52.36

Hotel staff doesnt seem to helpful. this is the 3rd SPG hotel I have stayed in europe in the past week and was upgraded to club level each time (im a gold). Dont think I was upgraded here. Im in a non smoking room on the 4th floor, and smell smoke in the bathroom in the mornings. the hotel is nice, (50 yrs old, was refurbished.. and my girlfriend likes it. Funny thing is they make the beds each day and do not put the comforter on top of the bed but leave it on a chair, is this a european thing? so all you see is the sheets when you walk into the room..
Old Jan 21, 2004, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Skymiles Gold, Staralliance Gold
lex, upgrades there for Golds usually are to rooms with a pool/garden view in the newest part of the hotel (although I prefer the rooms overlooking the patio).

About the bed-making...that's starnge. Usually they make the bed with everything on it in the mornings, and they uncover it (and put the cover on a chair or elsewhere)in the evening as part of the turndown service.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:56 am
lex

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, Hhonors Diamond
fljbrs: I was put in a room facing the ocean, not facing the coutyard (which I would have liked) or the pool.. . Overall in the europe trip (stayed at 5 *wood properties), this was the girlfriends favorite! Overall a good experience at this hotel.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 11:59 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Just came back from a 2-night stay (weekend).

The hotel is nice and worth the 3K points a night. I got a nice upgrade to a suite (room 334) which was clean and comfortable. Platinum amenity was a simple fruit platter nothing more (nothing to be impressed about). 4PM check out was granted with no question (worth 30 Euros).

The concierge is simply "useless". I sent an e-mail (via Platinum concierge) asking about the events and attractions during my stay, and was told "nothing is going on". However, I found out that the Island main annual event (The Carnival) was going on!!
I asked about a good taps restaurant and was told: "it's somewhere in the city center"!! Absolutely useless!!. That's a shame for the only 5-star hotel in the northern part of the island.

I would go back to the hotel again and I would still recommend it.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:12 am

Any recent experiences with this hotel? Tripadvisor reviews are pretty bad, but it still seems a good value for 3k points/night.

Is this hotel near any good restaurants or bars?
Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:23 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Leaving Starwood on March 1, 2009
The Sheraton Mencey Hotel, Santa Cruz de Tenerife will be leaving the Starwood system on March 1, 2009. Reservations for dates on or after March 1, 2009, will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Will it remain a Sheraton? Any updates?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:40 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Will it remain a Sheraton? Any updates?
No, they left on March 1, 2009 as planned.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Mar 10, 2009, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Thanks...I took it to meant they were not participating in SPG but remaining a Sheraton. Anyone know the new name or owners?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.