Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Amsterdam or Element Amsterdam?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2016, 8:21 am
Original Poster

W Amsterdam or Element Amsterdam?

I have the W booked on points, but thinking harder and harder about switching to the Element. 7,000 pts instead of 20,000. Breakfast included vs none at the W. Yes, from what I understand about 20 mins by public transit into the heart of the city... I'm staying 6 nights.

Using 7K instead of 20K for the W will allow me to use the points I save towards redeeming for free nights in Stockholm (vs paying for it, as I would be now since I don't have enough points for both). Sheraton Stockholm is 12K per night... so basically I can redeem 35K on Element (5 nights at 7K per night + 1 free) and 56K in Stockholm (5 nights at Sheraton for Club level room with Breakfast) vs 100K on W and paying for a room at the new Best Western in Stockholm

Thoughts?

Last edited by DealAddict; Feb 27, 2016 at 8:28 am
Old Feb 27, 2016, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you're the kind of tourist who leaves the hotel in the morning and comes back in the evening, then the Element should be fine. If you like to go out for an hour or two, back for a rest, then back out in the afternoon, back to the hotel for a shower then go out on the town for dinner - you'll find that the Element is very inconvenient.

You could always reverse things. Use your Starpoints in Stockholm and a couple of nights at the W in Amsterdam, and move to another more central hotel in Amsterdam, paying for the other nights.

Is there Points + Cash at either property? That also can help stretch out those points at a usually decent price.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

The issues is that Amsterdam hotel rates are very high in late April/early May...

Yeah, there is a points+cash option at the W but it's not amazing value 10,000 pts + $ 180 USD.

I don't have to come back to the hotel, of course, it would be nice, but not a must, I assume I can find places to lounge / take a break? I'm not really there to spend time at the hotel. I could maybe taxi there and back in case I need to?

Last edited by DealAddict; Feb 27, 2016 at 2:17 pm
Old Feb 27, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
a bit off topic.

i'm going to amsterdam in early may too and i booked andaz for 4 nights instead.

my first option was W but the bank building (most likely) will not be finished by the time i arrive. also the review of andaz was FAR BETTER than w.

that's why i'll wait for another year to stay there.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 2:20 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
If you don't plan on going back to your hotel during the day, stay at the Element. Great property, spacious rooms and affordable. W has very high rates and the cheapest rooms are still very tiny (like many other hotels in the city centre).

From the Element there is easy access to the city centre with public transportation, takes about 25 minutes I believe. Do go to the W bar for a drink on the roof, which is great!
Old Feb 28, 2016, 3:08 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
To repeat what's already been said: at the W you're paying for location. Though the Andaz mentioned above is also a fine location.

Keep in mind that Amsterdam is a walking city, so being able to take a break in your own room is worth quite a bit. I always recommend visitors stay very near the canal ring or at least right on a tram line.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
I know that this is apostasy from the SPG forum, but my go-to option for Amsterdam is often Priceline.com.

I've stayed at the Sheraton AMS and the Pulitzer a couple of times, but often the prices represent a poor value (sort of like SF during a Salesforce convention.) A good 3/4 star property can often be had $125 a night through other sales channels.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sabai
I know that this is apostasy from the SPG forum, but my go-to option for Amsterdam is often Priceline.com.

I've stayed at the Sheraton AMS and the Pulitzer a couple of times, but often the prices represent a poor value (sort of like SF during a Salesforce convention.) A good 3/4 star property can often be had $125 a night through other sales channels.

I've checked Priceline, but nothing in that price range for this time period... (April 26-May 2).
Old Feb 28, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Originally Posted by DealAddict
I have the W booked on points, but thinking harder and harder about switching to the Element. 7,000 pts instead of 20,000. Breakfast included vs none at the W. Yes, from what I understand about 20 mins by public transit into the heart of the city... I'm staying 6 nights.

Using 7K instead of 20K for the W will allow me to use the points I save towards redeeming for free nights in Stockholm (vs paying for it, as I would be now since I don't have enough points for both). Sheraton Stockholm is 12K per night... so basically I can redeem 35K on Element (5 nights at 7K per night + 1 free) and 56K in Stockholm (5 nights at Sheraton for Club level room with Breakfast) vs 100K on W and paying for a room at the new Best Western in Stockholm

Thoughts?
You could split your stay up in a few nights in WAmsterdam and a few in Element Amsterdam. So you have experienced the citycenter and also the suburb of Buitenveldert.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

I decided to stick with the Element. This will save me on having to pay $1000 for a hotel in Stockholm where I am also going (I will instead redeem the points I save for 5 nights at the Sheraton there).
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by DealAddict
I decided to stick with the Element. This will save me on having to pay $1000 for a hotel in Stockholm where I am also going (I will instead redeem the points I save for 5 nights at the Sheraton there).
Sorry to dig up on an old thread. OP, can you comment on how it was to say at the Element? Did you wish you had stayed at the W?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Sorry to dig up on an old thread. OP, can you comment on how it was to say at the Element? Did you wish you had stayed at the W?
I didn't end up going... I'm actually now going in August and staying at my sister's friend's place for free, so don't have to choose between the 2

But there are plenty more reviews of the Element now...
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:42 pm

I just spent two nights at the Element Amsterdam and it was great. Staff were very pleasant, rooms were very functional with fridge, microwave, stove top, dishwasher and sink. With the table and wrap around couch the room was a bit tight but worked well. Breakfast was good European continental fare. Hotel is part of a shopping complex which has two grocery stores and a butcher shop. Ten minute walk to the tram and then fifteen to twenty minutes downtown depending where you're going. Taxi was 55 Euros to and from Schiphol Airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.