Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Platinum Requalification Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
An unexpected business trip popped me up to P100 last week.
3 rooms @ 7 nights has pushed my total to 100 earnining ambassador for the first time.

Between assorted promos, bonuses, Amex, and Uber raked in 45k points on $2950 in base room rate ($140 avg per night).
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:04 pm

Any leisure/non-biz travelers here? I'm about 10 night short of Plat, was mulling over doing some cat3 mattress runs to top off. Whats the most you've spent on mattress runs to be plat? If we travel as much in 2017 it would be worth it..
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by bizum
Any leisure/non-biz travelers here? I'm about 10 night short of Plat, was mulling over doing some cat3 mattress runs to top off. Whats the most you've spent on mattress runs to be plat? If we travel as much in 2017 it would be worth it..
Leisure/non-biz traveler here, currently at 80 nights/37 stays at Starwood and 22 stays with Hyatt YTD

Did a couple of mattress runs at Starwood this past summer for 76 euros/night (brg). I would say at least 40-50% is mattress running just to retain Ambassador level.
But am now regretting it as by early december will have over 100 nights due to certain Starwood hotels that i really want to stay (e.g. Alfonso Seville, Maria Cristina Sebastian, etc) later this year.

As for Hyatt, at least half of my stays are mattress running to retain Diamond but it's easier for me as earning points with Hyatt is faster and then using them for C&P at Cat2 Hyatt Manila. Out of my 22 stays with Hyatt so far, only 8 are paid and the rest are C&P (55$ + 4K points)

As for next year, i wont be mattress running for Starwood anymore because of the merger. In fact, already booked about a month's worth of nights at really nice 1 bedroom apartments on booking.com from January - April 2017 on cities/countries where i want to go like Madagascar. It's good to feel free :-)

Last edited by supatight80; Oct 6, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Crossed 75 to 76 nights YTD today. Spent the first half of the year focused on Hyatt. Should re-qualify for Ambassador along with maintaining Hyatt Diamond.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:53 pm

Thanks for sharing. I think I'll do some runs and top off and see how it goes next year.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, UA Silver, SPG PLAT, Marriott PLAT, Hyatt PLAT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bizum
leisure/non-biz here. 45 nights YTD but have a family stay for 2 rooms and 4 nights over thanksgiving at the Westin Mammoth Monache. Had another 5 night stay over Christmas at the WDW Swan in Orlando (on points) but just canceled that to try out Platinum level status at a JW Marriott in Orlando. The only semi-mattress running I did was to book 4th nights with Citi Prestige but check out after 3 nights since I'm only really paying for 3 nights.

This will be my first time ever being a PLAT so looking forward to it in 2017!!
Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:23 pm

Congrats booyun . So I think we should be plat as well, I just topped off with some reservations to hit the threshold. I'm not going to have high expectations though, seems like the program is pretty diluted at this point? Seems like I run into lot of plats when we talk to people during our trips. Also met lifetime plats (wow that must be nice!)
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
P100 as of Sunday, Oct 9 (103 nights as of today).
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Hitting 100 with this week's stay.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by CPRich
just checked out from a stay yesterday that got me to 102 nights so far for the year....i have about a dozen more booked for december....
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Canada101
P100 as of Sunday, Oct 9 (103 nights as of today).
Originally Posted by CPRich
Originally Posted by Keyser
just checked out from a stay yesterday that got me to 102 nights so far for the year....i have about a dozen more booked for december....
Well, looks like I'm joining all of you and retaining Ambassador again this year after all... will end 2016 with 103 nights.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Well, looks like I'm joining all of you and retaining Ambassador again this year after all... will end 2016 with 103 nights.
Woohoo!

I'm at 129 nights as of today...3 more nights before the weekend. I'm actually trying a couple of Marriott Rewards properties later this week then another 2 nights at a Starwood property...I'll probably close off the year at or very near 150 Starwood nights.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Canada101
Woohoo!

I'm at 129 nights as of today...3 more nights before the weekend. I'm actually trying a couple of Marriott Rewards properties later this week then another 2 nights at a Starwood property...I'll probably close off the year at or very near 150 Starwood nights.
Wow, lots of travel for you this year!

I wish Starwood (or now Marriott) would offer something beyond 100. I too have had opportunities in prior years to attain 150 nights or more but due to the lack of incentives decided to gain top tier with a backup chain. I would've likely kept visiting Starwood if they offered something beyond this level. I realize it's sort of silly as one can enjoy all the benefits of being P100 after attaining it, but I appear to be a creature of habit and these incentives work well on me.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Talking

Requalified last week, by chance at the most mediocre SPG hotel I have been to so far

Since no promo's affected me this year I decided to just squek by st 25 stays/25nights and sent the rest of my stays over to Hyatt/Hilton/IHG.

Nothing to do with the merger just a points opportunist

This year I have qualified for ZERO targetted promos abd since I OnLY stay ONe night at a time the SPG promos have done nothing for me...
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by supatight80
Leisure/non-biz traveler here, currently at 80 nights/37 stays at Starwood and 22 stays with Hyatt YTD

Did a couple of mattress runs at Starwood this past summer for 76 euros/night (brg). I would say at least 40-50% is mattress running just to retain Ambassador level.
But am now regretting it as by early december will have over 100 nights due to certain Starwood hotels that i really want to stay (e.g. Alfonso Seville, Maria Cristina Sebastian, etc) later this year.

As for Hyatt, at least half of my stays are mattress running to retain Diamond but it's easier for me as earning points with Hyatt is faster and then using them for C&P at Cat2 Hyatt Manila. Out of my 22 stays with Hyatt so far, only 8 are paid and the rest are C&P (55$ + 4K points)

As for next year, i wont be mattress running for Starwood anymore because of the merger. In fact, already booked about a month's worth of nights at really nice 1 bedroom apartments on booking.com from January - April 2017 on cities/countries where i want to go like Madagascar. It's good to feel free :-)
wow! How much are you effectively spending on mattress runs alone?

I'm also a leisure traveller (No biz trips for the past 2 years) but I don't see myself hitting 50 this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.