Search

Which Starwood at Waikiki?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2003, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 5.6MM, SPG Plat
Which Starwood at Waikiki?

Hi,
I am planning to stay in Waikiki in early April.

As a Platinum Starwood member which property do you suggest??
I am looking for a beach front property with a ocean. How available are upgrades?

Also any advice on getting the best room rate - I know about the Hawaii 35%off promo and I have a bunch of 50% vouchers but I am not sure what the rack rates are.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 6:53 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
Hawaiian properties do not accept the 50% off coupons. In my opinion it is always the Moana Surfrider that makes my day. It is on the ocean, very victorian, the people are charming and friendly and it is very centrally located. It is right across the street from the International Marketplace, close to many major hotels and marvelous restaurants (Nick's Fishmarket and Matteo's are my favorites) and while the Royal Hawaiian has a nicer beach area (which I believe you can use) I don't think the rooms are as large nor does it hold the same charm for me. Just my opinion!
Old Mar 13, 2003, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I have only stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki, but the Surfrider looks very nice. The rooftop restaurant at the Waikiki serves the best breakfast buffet...so you can stay at the Surfrider for the nicer rooms and charming ambiance, then walk next store for the breakfast buffet and the awesome view of the beach and Diamond Head.

Some of these properties pop up with Priceline bids also, so there are some options for lower cost stays if you're willing to be flexible.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 11:21 am
Suspended

why not do a search? there's a wealth of information on here. then, if you want updates, ask for them in the thread which applies to the property in which you are inquiring.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 12:05 am

FCTSY - easy. This is his/her first posting. Sapped, welcome to FT.

There are 3 Starwood properties on Waikiki beach - Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider, and Sheraton Waikiki. (There is one more Starwood property - Princess kaiulani - which is located right accoss the street from Moana. Not on Waikiki beach - less expensive.) I personally like Moana Surfrider most because of the colonial atmosphere and employees are so nice to me every time.

When it comes to platinum member upgrade, these properties are pretty good in general. As for discount, I understand these Hawaiian properties still do honor these UA50 certificates (not SPG50 cert. - you cannot use other than at W Honolulu) until the end of April or so. Also, if you are Premier or above with United Mileage Plus, you can request UAPREM rate plan thru SPG desk, which still gives you 50% off rack rates.

Rack rates are so called tariff rates which do not include any discount. I think it's very valuable using 50% off at any Hawaiian properties especially comparing to other continental US properties where many other discounted rates are available.

Hope this helps. You can also use "search" function to investigate more.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 5.6MM, SPG Plat
Hi FlyMan,
Thank you very much!

I just booked the Moana Surfrider.
The rate was not great - about $200/night but I am a little afraid to use Priceline (I do not want to end up at the wrong hotel)and I do not have any UA50 certificates.

I was not aware of the benefits to United Premier members.

Thanks!

------------------
AA Plat for life,BA gold, SPG Plat, HH gold
Old Mar 16, 2003, 6:51 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
You will not be disappointed! I am sending my son and daughter in law in April and I am taking my grandaughter for her middle school graduation in August. It is a wonderful hotel. Just don't eat in the Ship's Tavern. It is not a great restaurant. The breakfast is wonderful in the coffee shop, but I would do dinners elsewhere. Also suggest you buy the Hawaii Entertainment Book. It saved us about $400. on fine restaurants, parsailing, dinner cruise, and tours. Have a great vacation.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 8:03 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Dia Amb
We had a great stay there at Xmas last year. Very friendly, helpful staff. We had two tiny rooms at the end of the hall in the "Historic Banyan Wing" that were almost hanging over the beach. It was great. We were on a 35% off rate that also gave us 35% off food and free meals for the kids. The breakfast buffet turned out to be a great deal. I agree about the Ship's Tavern - not up to the quality of the rest of the hotel.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 2:10 am

Location: Orange County, CA ; AA Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Gold
Excellent choice sapped! I have been to Waikiki twice, and have stayed at the Moana Surfrider both times. As a SPG Gold, I was given a partial ocean view, but only after inquiring about an upgrade. I can't wait to go back again as a Platinum.

The staff at this property are truely wonderful. We requested the 4 pm late checkout, but was not able to get back to the hotel until after 6 pm from a day trip due to traffic. We called the hotel enroute to notify the front desk. They were very accomodating, and did not charge an additional fee.

[This message has been edited by tdtish (edited 03-18-2003).]
Old Mar 18, 2003, 2:40 am

DONT FORGET!!!!!seems that all sheratons are accepting the ua 50% off certs. which means the cheapest room at the moana $135US ++.
then U get the upgrades if you are plat gold.
Do not take my word please phone and get that as a confirmation-i did.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 9:16 am

sapped -

I think I still have 1 or 2 UA50 certs left - since you said you do not have them. Send me e-mail if you want.

As a platinum member, you can use Moana Memories Lounge - located on the 21st floor of Tower Wing where you can have continental breakfast on 7-11AM and appetizer + wine/beer on 4-7PM everyday. There are 2PCs you can use for internet.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC
FWIW, although I always stay with friends on the island, I have always heard excellent things about the Surfrider. Personally, I've only seen it on the way to Dukes for drinks , but it would probably be my first pick.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 5:11 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Skymiles Gold, Staralliance Gold
I still have some doubts between Moana and Royal. I am going there this summer with my mother in a more or less an award stay (5 nights award + 1 night paying + other 2 nights paying some days after). Being Platinum, I hope to get a nice room.
I have the reservations at the Royal Hawaiian because looking at both websites it seems easier getting a room with a comfortable seating area there (the view is not the most important thing for us, but having some comfortable seating is very important).
From your experience at these hotels, do you think I have made a right choice or perhaps should I change to the Moana?
Old Mar 19, 2003, 7:36 am

Ive always stayed at the princess K, which is across the street from the beach. Even though I was at this property I had complete useage of room charges and complete hotel access at the other Starwood Properties
Old Mar 19, 2003, 5:06 pm

I agree.......Sheraton Princess Kaiulani is by far the best value of them all, plus I have always had way better customer service from there vs. all the other Starwood properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.