Wiki Posts
Search

*Wood Resorts: Opinions Requested!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2003, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
*Wood Resorts: Opinions Requested!

I hope not to bore anyone with the background: my wife is having surgery in February and radiation treatment in July. We are looking for a quick getaway in May (3 - 4 nights) for a little "pick-me'up". We are looking for a *Wood resort that will pamper her without being too expensive (I know, that might be oxymoronic). We want to stay in the 48 US, Mexico or Canada and will use *Points for the stay.

My wife is most interested in:
- Great Food
- Great Service
- Relaxing Atmoshpere; Physical Beauty
- Spa facilities
- Comfortable Rooms
- Not having to use a car (much)

After extensive searching, we narrowed it down to:
- Sheraton Bal Harbour
- St. Regis Monarch Beach
- Sheraton Hacienda del Mar (Cabo)
- Westin Mission Hills

I have read reviews on all but am still uncertain about which would most meet the criteria (I especially see the split opinions on Monarch Beach). Have we missed any resorts? Has anyone stayed at more than one of the above and is able to compare them?

Thanks in advance, any and all opinions are welcome.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 7:38 am

I am a HUGE fan of the Diplomat. Though i have stayed at the Bal Harbour, and their pool and beach area is alot nicer. If you are looking to save money, you can get a Club Level room at the Diplomat and hvae breakfast and possible dinner taken care of there. The resturants at and around the Bal Harbour are very expensive.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 9:16 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond

The St Regis Bal Harbour

Map| 5 Reviews | 80% Recommended

The St Regis Bal Harbour

9703 Collins Avenue Bal Harbour Miami Beach, FL US 33154

The St Regis Bal Harbour (0 Photo)

The St Regis Bal Harbour

Of your list, I have personal experience only from the Sheraton Bal Harbour, where my family and I vacationed for 3days/2nights late July 2002.

We had a superb visit here and I will address each point of yours:

Dining

My wife is most interested in:
- Great Food <-- can't comment that much about the on-property upscale restaurant(s), as with our kids and friends who had kids, we didn't plan on sit-down meals at upscale $15+ meals per person that much. In the AM, twice, we did enjoy the excellent BREAKFAST BUFFET w/ super views of the ocean. Not "expansive", per se, because I've seen far larger spreads, but the quality was tops as was service. And I won't fail to mention as far as breakfast buffets go, I've seen only one better (St. Regis, Aspen) in years of travel. We also ate once at an excellent Italian place across the street at the mall (simply walked across the street), and not sure what we did a second night. Otherwise, we ate lunches by the pool (hamburgers). On departure day, we walked down the street about 3 blocks and enjoyed a gourmet hamburger at a famous local place (name escapes me, but it was like an Irish pub so the concierge could direct you).

Service

- Great Service <-- Was extremely impressed in all aspects, starting from the greeting by the doormen and ending w/ the personal interaction by JimattheBeach, who actually works at this facility and frequents this thread. If you contact JimattheBeach in advance, you will be treated like a king, and I am sure he would make your wife and yourself most welcome.

- Relaxing Atmoshpere; Physical Beauty <-- The grounds are well-maintained, and plush w/ flowers and gardens. They have two well-maintained hot tubs integrated into the landscape. Additionally, the pool area is quite large, and more a COMPLEX than a simple hotel pool, and I recall you can find several get-away spots away from the pool itself to relax and lounge..or head to the beach about 150-200 yrds from the back entrance. The atmosphere here is really that nice IMO.

- Spa facilities <-- did not try this, so can't comment; stuck my head in the spa and it looked like a typical spa.

Room

- Comfortable Rooms <-- we had a spendid corner suite; as PLAT I/we were upgraded at check-in, though I suspect getting a high-floor CORNER suite might have been pre-arranged by Jim.Can't stress enough if you choose this facility, be sure and make advance contact with Jim and your trip will be enhanced without question. My personal recommendation - try for a ocean-front corner suite 7floors or higher. WOW - the views.

- Not having to use a car (much) <-- We valet-parked ours, and didn't touch it for three days. Key to this was having a facility like this with enough options, both on property and within walking distance, to keep two families with a total of five kids occupied. This place does that ! We felt no desire at all to go wonder about in a car, partly because this area of Miami is very busy and traffic is horrendous day and night...but also because directly across the street is a very upscale mall. No, we were not especially the type to spend money at Saks and such, but made for fantastic shopping and browsing.

Overall

Best of luck in choosing.

P.S. FWIW, the ocean beach at this hotel is expansive, and clean. One of the detractions of the Diplomat, from numerous postings, was the smallish beachfront. Also, if you wanted to wonder back to south Miami/South Beach one day, its straight south maybe 10-15 mi on the very road in front of this property. Simple to get to.

PSS. High-speed DSL access works great here if you have need to get online.

The St Regis Bal Harbour

Would you like to write a review on the The St Regis Bal Harbour?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 13, 2003, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
You can't go wrong with most St. Regis's. Monarch Beach has a great spa and the golf is pretty good if you're interested. It's an excellent hotel, but isolated. So dining might be expensive.

Have you thought about the St. Regis in LA? They also have a very good spa and you can walk to the Century City mall which has plenty of decently priced food outlets. And of course there are thousands of things to do in L.A.

Old Feb 13, 2003, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Does weather play a part in your choice? You may want to think about it - ie, early May @ Mission Hills may be from delightful to pretty warm, but late May may be like an oven (albeit a "dry oven"). You may also want to think about the typical clientele at the time of your stay - for this, I can't help with your specific properties mentioned, but I will tell you that Arizona in the low season (summer) is when lots of families take advantage of the low prices - so much so that the pool area at the La Paloma it was impossible to relax by the pool. Early May should be good, because school is still in everywhere, and spring break is long over.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
St. Regis Monarch Beach has a very decent spa and couple nice restaurants. The hotel is only 2 years old and the room condition is in top notch. The location is a bit isolated which means you might need a car. You can get taxi service to nearby South Beach Plaza or Newport Beach Mall though.

Sheraton Bal Harbour is a beach front hotel (St. Regis is a bit walk from the beach.) It's a Sheraton, not St Regis. I was treated very well as a Plat, nice villa upgrade. There is a fancy upscale mall across the hotel, which gives you more options for dining.

These two are very different hotels. The weather should be nice in both locations in May, although southern California will have less rain in May compared to southern Florida.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
I also vote for the St. Regis Monarch Beach. If you are using starpoints for the stay it may present the best value for points since the going rate is consistently over $550/night.

It is located in a secluded area so it will allow you a full resort experience. I particularly enjoy the area since it is very convenient (from SNA) and also close to lovely seaside communities such as Corona del Mar, Newport Beach, and Laguna Beach.

This resort ranks #1 on my list for a weekend getaway. You will be completely satisfied if not impressed.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 7:53 pm
West Coast 1K

The St. Regis Monarch Beach is spectacular! I highly recommend it.

Old Feb 13, 2003, 8:30 pm

DawgmanOH, I can't give you any advice on locations but I do wish you, your wife and your family all the best in the coming months. I hope things go as smoothly as possible and you enjoy your getaway wherever you choose.

Old Feb 14, 2003, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
I appreciate everyone's quick response and good wishes. It appears the Monarch Beach is fast taking the lead.

Is there a nice path between the hotel and the beach?

Also, has anyone stayed at the Monarch Beach and the Phoenician? Which would you consider more "relaxing"?

Thanks again!
Old Feb 14, 2003, 7:18 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
St.Regis Monarchs Beach is great, you can still drive to LA for plenty of activities. If you love golf try Pelican Hill in Newport Beach. This club is however affiliated with the Four Seasons. The Sheraton Grande Laguna in Phuket gave my parents a great room just a week ago and they enjoyed it a lot. The Rayavadee (spelled correctly ?) near Krabi is located in a spectecular setting! Oh my
Old Feb 14, 2003, 9:32 am

Answer to your question about walking to the beach. The beach is a little ways so it's a long walk for some people. However, they give you courtesy rides on their golf carts to the beach so this should be no issue. I highly recommend staying till Sunday to try their Sunday brunch. Absolutely the best brunch I've been too and I've been to some nice one's including the Ritz accross the street from Monarch and also Belagio. Make sure you make the reservation for the buffet before you arrive since they usually fill up. Golf there is pricey - around $150 on weekends but you have a nice beach as well as a great jazz bar on the weekends.

Have fun!
Old Feb 14, 2003, 9:51 am

I've been to both the Phoenician and St. Regis Monarch Beach, and I definitely prefer the Phoenician. The rooms are really nice and spacious, the food is great at their top restaurant, the Center for Well Being (spa) has many choices and the mother of pearl and slide pools are fun in different ways. We drove up to Sedona and Slide Rock for a day, too and that was a lot of fun. I guess part of the reason why I liked it is that I live in CA and AZ is a bit different so I feel like the whole state is home If you do go to the St. Regis, Aqua is incredible. Absolutely try the Chilean Sea Bass and the rootbeer float. There is a great place nearby that is known for their apple cobbler, too- a definite must, I think it's Savannah Chophouse. Have a wonderful time no matter which one you go to!
Old Feb 19, 2003, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Hi DogmanOH--as you & I have discussed separately, I highly recommend you try the Sheraton Bal Harbour! Espcially if looking for a relaxing, romantic getaway, we offer tons of options. Probably the most romantic one is to simply enjoy the view on the beach or around our lagoon-size pool & jacuzzis. We can arrange for a couples massage in our Spa, or perhaps a lovely sunset picnic for 2 on the beach as the sun goes down. If you want to get off property, you could also take the object of your affection across the street to the Shops of Bal Harbour. It's a collection of pretty high-end shops (Tiffany, Bulgari, Channel), and depending on your mood (and budget) you could make somebody pretty happy over there! And within a 5 minute walk of the hotel, there are at least a dozen restaurant from which to choose.

You could also head down to South Beach and stroll through the Art Deco district (taxi ride is about 15 minutes, perhaps $20). Lincoln Road is another great spot; it's a pedestrian zone lined with fantastic restaurants, bars, shops and galleries. In fact, the same architect who designed our hotel in the 1950s (Morris Lapidus) also designed Lincoln Road.

Hope to see you here very soon!

Jim McKenna
Sheraton Bal Harbour Beach Resort

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.