Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Cayman: Hyatt or Westin?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2002, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Grand Cayman: Hyatt or Westin?

Since I don't have any meaningful status on either, I need an unbiased recommendation as to the best property on this island. Staying for 5 nights with gfriend. Basically which one has nicer rooms, amenities (spa, golfing), pool, etc. TIA
Old Nov 10, 2002, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Westin is on the beach, Hyatt is not.

Westin is the no-brainer for that reason!
Old Nov 10, 2002, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL LTG, SPG LTP, Mar. PLT
If I remember correctly the Hyatt has two sections . One section {the main hotel} on the golf course and the other section across the road on the beach.
Great golf course, right on the property.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 12:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CaseyN2:
If I remember correctly the Hyatt has two sections . One section {the main hotel} on the golf course and the other section across the road on the beach.
Great golf course, right on the property.
</font>
Correct. The rooms on the beach side of the Hyatt are the tops. Especially on the higher floors. Otherwise, I might go with the Westin. But you can't go wrong with either.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I haven't been to the Hyatt, but the Westin is very nice. The spa is lovely and has good treatments. If you like to snorkel, there is a good reef right off the Westin's beach.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 6:57 am

Location: BOS, BED - US Gold, HHonors Gold, Starwood Preferred
If you want to see the Hyatt, check out the movie The Firm from your local Blockbuster video store. The Cayman scenes were filmed at the Hyatt GC.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 9:58 am

My family and I had a great time at the Westin in July. I can't tell you how many people we met who had come over from the Hyatt and much preferred the Westin. Biggest complaint was that they had to walk across the street to get to the Hyatt's tiny beach. Some also mentioned that they thought the Hyatt staff and guests were a little too uptight and snooty, while the Westin had more "normal" people.

If you're a big golfer, Hyatt might be better, but the Westin is certainly better if you're interested in spending even a little time at the beach. Hyatt is also near the bottom of 7-mile beach, which is closer to downtown, while the Westin is farther north, in the middle of 7-mile beach, so there might be a few more restaurants within walking distance. We preferred to drive to most places with our small children, but we did walk from the Westin down south past the Hyatt to eat at the Lonestar Bar/Grill (no relation to the steakhouse chain).

Speaking of restaurants, there's a fairly new one called The Neptune just a bit north of the Westin on the other side of the street that's incredible (Italian and seafood). By far, the best food and service we encountered, but probably not in most guide books yet.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 1:06 pm

We went to GC in the Spring and stayed at the Hyatt. We walked over to the Westin to check out their property and actually preferred the Hyatt. Both properties were pretty nice.

The Hyatt property is seperated but the beach is an easy & pleasant walk over from the other side. They have a really nice golf course, a bunch of pools, and much better landscaping than the Westin. It felt like more of a tropical setting instead of just a hotel on the beach like the Westin.

If being on the beach most of the time is important to you, I'd go with the Westin, otherwise I would definately pick the Hyatt.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
As mentioned earlier, the Hyatts has great rooms right on the beach too. They are pricey, but they are exceptional. I prefered those to the Westin.

Most of the rooms are across the road. But if you are staying on points and have status, wow, are those beachfront rooms great!
Old Nov 11, 2002, 5:54 pm
Original Member

Time of year down there is probably important to know. Because of the Hyatt's tiny beach area (it is sandwiched between two other condo resorts), the really high traffic times make it very crowded on the small beach. Has a great Red Sail watersports shop, and the restaurant, Hemingways, on the beach is great. (Key Lime pie may very well be the best anywhere--you have to eat there at least once, just to have that). Hyatt is a little closer to lots of other restaurants, but if you have a car, that doesn't matter all that much. Definitely eat at Lantana--great restaurant a little ways North of the Hyatt, which we think is the best on the island. Have stayed at the Hyatt, and the rooms are great. Did not mind the walk from across the street.

Have not stayed at the Westin, which is up on northern part of 7-Mile beach. Great outdoor grounds on the beach.

Djlawman
Old Nov 12, 2002, 2:03 pm

I stayed at both 2 spring breaks ago - would say with kids, the Westin was better given proximity to beach. The Westin is newer as well. I would say the advantages of the Hyatt are the proximity to more restaurants & other activities (e.g. boat to Rum Point). Tough to go wrong at either.

------------------
United 1k &MM, American Plat &1MM, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond & Mar Gold
Old Nov 12, 2002, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses. Looks like I'm going with the Hyatt. So in two weeks I'll be loading up on rum and not turkey!
Old Dec 11, 2002, 2:02 am
Original Member

Just came back from Grand Cayman. Hyatt's beach is positively claustrophobic compared to Westin's. Also, like others said, Governor's reef is right to the right of Westin's beach. It is a great snorkelling spot and it rivals some of the shallower dive sites at GCM. Red Sails (the main dive/water sports shop to all the island's major hotels) also operates right off Westin's beach.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 7:20 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Ive stayed at both places, and without a doubt think the Westin property is much MUCH better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.