Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Photo ID required to check in to hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2002, 7:01 am

This weekend at the W Union Square I not only handed over my ID, but they photocopied it for their files.
Old Jul 1, 2002, 7:28 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Every other check-in at Sheraton SMF.
Old Jul 1, 2002, 8:28 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:

I have never been asked for an ID at check-in. </font>
---

Same here, at least inasmuch as US properties are concerned. In some Asian locations, some European locations, as well as a few others, I was asked to provide a Passport in which case I would typically provide a xerox copy for them!

Once, the front desk guy told me, yes we are supposed to ask, but people get so upset that I never do!
Old Jul 1, 2002, 10:04 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by doc:
---

Same here, at least inasmuch as US properties are concerned. In some Asian locations, some European locations, as well as a few others, I was asked to provide a Passport in which case I would typically provide a xerox copy for them!

Once, the front desk guy told me, yes we are supposed to ask, but people get so upset that I never do!
</font>
Outside of US is one thing...

I've stayed at Embassy Suites and Sheraton that are side by side in the same town. The Embassy Suites made a point that I had to show them my DL to check in. When I asked why, they shoved a piece of paper stating that the "city ordinances" required it. I gave it to them, but asked why when I stay at the sheraton next door they don't ask. When I stayed at the sheraton next week, I asked why they didn't ask me for it, isn't it city law. They smiled and said that they had never heard of anything so silly. Go figure...

Old Dec 1, 2002, 8:13 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
I was recently asked for picture ID. At a previous stay at this hotel, they photocopied my card which I was using to get a promotional discount.
Old Dec 1, 2002, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Notice signs at most hotel check-in counters now requiring photo ID. However, only recall once being asked for this, even with sign visible on the counter. Maybe as a repeat guest and elite, they just don't bother...

I notice that providing passport details is no longer required at most international hotels at check-in.
Old Dec 1, 2002, 6:59 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Don't call the US a facist government. Its just trying to keep up with the competition.
Old Dec 1, 2002, 8:28 pm
Suspended

stayed at the sheraton seattle twice in the past week and was asked for picture ID both stays.
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:39 pm

Location: new brunswick, new jersey and farmington, conn. USA
whenever there's an in-room minibar.

"Well, Miss (me)..." "Ms." "Ms (me), we do need to make sure you're 21."

i suppose it sounds boneheaded to complain about looking 15, but this is one of those times it's instant annoyance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.