Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Princess Kaiulani (Waikiki) - Any recent reviews?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2002, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Gold, SQ Gold, Jet Airways Gold, BA Silver, Qatar Silver, Starwood Lifetime Gold

Any recent reviews of the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani hotel in Waikiki? The older reviews on FT are pretty mixed, and the rooms sound fairly basic and perhaps even a bit run down. However, the pictures on the hotel web-site make the rooms look very nice -- fresh and well-appointed. Have they perhaps been refursbished or redone in the "new" Sheraton style? Any up-to-date comments would be much appreciated. Also -- comments on Platinum upgrades at this property would be welcome! Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2002, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can only speak to the public areas (which I toured earlier this month)...

It's a very "busy" hotel, to put it mildly.

More like an Outrigger Hotel. Small and crowded lobby area with overlapping mixed usage space. Noisy. Folks are dodging each other trying to make their way through. The check-in counter is right next to the "Please Wait To Be Seated" area of the Coffee Shop. No walls separating anything. One big area with dozens of tourist desks, restaurants, check-in counter, etc, etc all mixed in old Vegas style.

Pool area right in there with them. It's a small and crowded pool as well, but then again most in Waikiki are.

A fast food court on the other side of the pool facing Kalakaua Avenue.

Maybe on the upside, there are a lot of Suites at this property, so if you have status your upgrade chances might be better?

You're not on the beach, but staying here you can use the beach/pool/recreational facilities of any of the other Starwoods (except the W) and can even charge back to your room at any of them.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 10-25-2002).]
Old Oct 25, 2002, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I was there in July, and also sometime last year. My junior suite-type room last time was very decent. The trip before, a great view in a so-so room. I best describe the rooms as I have described so many Waikiki rooms over the years - as "Outrigger Moderne". Shockingly, even the lesser room there was better furnished than the sterile little room I had at the Royal Hawaiian. "Crowded" as it is, I don't think its as crowded as the Sheraton Waikiki.

For the "right price", I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Many of the rates also include airport transfers (but you have to ask and take affirmative steps to make the actual arrangements).
Old Oct 27, 2002, 8:50 pm

This hotel has at least two buildings. One of them is old and rooms are quite small. These rooms are usually available to Priceline for about $50-60 / night or <$100 on Internet special.

There is nightly poolside show with live bands and dancers. The hotel also has a Luau show in its theatre second floor.

Despite their small rooms, people there are very friendly. When I asked about my small room, the manager talked to me about SPG program. They upgraded me to an ocean view room in exchange for signing up this program right there.

That is how I got involved with Starwood... and Yes, I will definitely go back there again.
Old Nov 1, 2002, 8:52 pm

I'm staying at the PK right now ($82/night with a UA coupon). The room is small but decently furnished and very quiet. It's fine for someone like me who is just here to enjoy the beaches and have some sushi; if I were on my honeymoon or planning to spend more time in the room I'd step up a notch. The location is convenient--right across the street from the Moana Surfrider, whose lobby I cut through to get to Waikiki Beach, and next door to the International Marketplace if you want to shop for fun souvenirs. My room lacks a hair dryer and ironing board. The Japanese restaurant is pretty good, though prices are much better at lunch than dinner. The breakfast buffet is a rip off; I think I could've gotten much better food for the same price. I would stay here again.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:09 pm
Suspended

thanks for the reviews. any more?
Old Nov 20, 2002, 4:50 pm

Last week, for the first time Mr. Honu wasn't offered the mini-suite in the tower building. I wonder if his unusually low SPG balance had something to do with it (he had just transfered one last 20K chunk to QF). No matter, we were only there because we had business in town, and the nice oceanview we got on the 28th floor was more than adequate. We'll be back on Monday, so we'll see what they have then. The receptionist mentioned that there was going to be some refurbishing done on the lanais in the tower building, so there might be some noise from 8 to 5.

If the price is low, this is hotel is a bargain. A bit like a FourPoint LAX in Waikiki; you get a decent, reliable room for a reasonable rate. And, like w/4Points LAX, I'm sure this property has a number of detractors who didn't have a good experience while there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.