Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turn down service without my request?!?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Thumbs down Turn down service without my request?!?

I'm currently staying at Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and did check in just today afternoon around 4pm.

I went out for dinner and movie at around 6:30 pm and when j return to my room, I noticed there are some significant changes to my room as in the laundry list and beg was placed on th table as well as a two small chocolate candy and a bottle of water put right beside my bed table.

My first thought is, someone entered my room or thief without my acknowledgement so I quickly ring the front desk to have them check. First call back from front desk told me non of their housekeeping entered my room so I demanded them to check because non of my stuff went missing but I felt very insecure now.

So after 15 minutes of Cctv footage along the room key card system shows one of the housekeeping was entering my room while I was away on the day I just checked in. Manager called back and told me because it was a routine to do evening turndown service even without the customer request on the day they checked in?!?

I'm pretty upset now because it was the only reason given by a manager on duty and he mentioned he will checked with the housekeeping the next morning.

What would you do if it was you?!

Edit: Had a better understood on the turndown service therefore hopefully no more criticize over this thread

Last edited by ean2015; Oct 5, 2015 at 9:48 am
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Not sure if you travel often or not but it is pretty common to have turndown service at hotels in Asia and Europe without request.

If it was me, I would be jumping around with the two pieces of chocolate left by the housekeeper or the thief .
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Seriously?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:18 am

Nothing. Just tell them you don't want turn down. All done. Why is this even an issue or an actual thread?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Not sure if you travel often or not but it is pretty common to have turndown service at hotels in Asia and Europe without request.

If it was me, I would be jumping around with the two pieces of chocolate left by the housekeeper, or the thief if it matters.
I have stayed here in the past, last couple months and nothing like this had happened.

Perhaps my only concern is, if a guest checked in on day one...why would they do a turndown service even on day one when everything is already nicely made prior checking the guest in?!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME the norm in higher end hotels is to do turndown service every evening unless the guest specifically requests otherwise.

However, if you had a do not disturb sign on the door, housekeeping should not have entered. In this case, they normally would place a card under the door saying that if you want turndown service, you should call housekeeping.

If you don't want housekeeping knocking or entering your room at unexpected times, use the do not disturb sign. Good hotels will also allow you to schedule housekeeping at a particular time of day that's convenient for you.

Personally, I would praise the hotel for not having done the turndown in the afternoon. I never want it to be done too early. While I'm away at dinner is perfect.

ADDED: I've arrived at hotels around 4 pm to find the room already turned down and prepared for the evening. I find it annoying as I don't want a dark room at that time. Moreover, I might want/need the turndown service after dressing for dinner.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ean2015
I have stayed here in the past, last couple months and nothing like this had happened.

Perhaps my only concern is, if a guest checked in on day one...why would they do a turndown service even on day one when everything is already nicely made prior checking the guest in?!
Could be that you're in a suite or a higher category room that includes that service.

Day of check-in or not, turndown service is a service provided by the hotel on a nightly basis. I would like to see all hotels I go to provide this service.

Last edited by LovetoTravel83; Oct 2, 2015 at 10:27 am Reason: Grammatical
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Really good hotels will also service the room on the day of departure if you have a late checkout.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:27 am
Original Poster

What else would you need to be turndown on the day of departure? It doesn't make any sense to me...
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:27 am

You should be asking why you didn't get such good service on your previous stays...
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, if you had a do not disturb sign on the door, housekeeping should not have entered.
Granted, this is very true.

At the same time, kudos for explaining a common occurence at an upscale hotel to an OP that watched 15 minutes of CCTV to chase down the culprit that put a mint on his pillow. Not being ironic here, just couldn't have done it.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
I'm currently staying at Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and did check in just today afternoon around 4pm.

I went out for dinner and movie at around 6:30 pm and when j return to my room, I noticed there are some significant changes to my room as in the laundry list and beg was placed on th table as well as a two small chocolate candy and a bottle of water put right beside my bed table.

My first thought is, someone entered my room or thief without my acknowledgement so I quickly ring the front desk to have them check. First call back from front desk told me non of their housekeeping entered my room so I demanded them to check because non of my stuff went missing but I felt very insecure now.

So after 15 minutes of Cctv footage along the room key card system shows one of the housekeeping was entering my room while I was away on the day I just checked in. Manager called back and told me because it was a routine to do evening turndown service even without the customer request on the day they checked in?!?

I'm pretty upset now because it was the only reason given by a manager on duty and he mentioned he will checked with the housekeeping the next morning.

Five star luxury hotel - turn down service is part of the amenities. As someone said, use the DND feature, but I look forward to the chocolate.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:13 am

Travel much?

Cheers,
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
This is thread's overripe for a sarcastic post. Must. Fight. The. Urge.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:25 am

i get upset when turn down service was not done when they're supposed to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.