Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kid friendly at Orchid Mauna Lani?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2002, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Kid friendly at Orchid Mauna Lani?

We have a 9 yr old, a 7 yr. old and a 4 year old and are considering a trip to this property next April. We have been several times to Maui (KeaLani) and are looking to try something new.

I've read several posts mentioning the greatness of this property. Some have mentioned that it is more an adult property then a family property.

Would you recommend this property for my family? And if so do they have decent kids programs?
Old Sep 30, 2002, 7:47 am

We stayed there last year with our kids who were 10 and 6 at the time. I would also describe the hotel as more of an adult atmosphere. There is a kid camp (looks like daycare) that we did not use. There were also several programs during the week for authentic Hawaiian actvities (basket making, outriggers, etc). They clearly were not designed for children, although my kids enjoyed them. The staff made it clear that the kids needed to be with their parents during these activities. There is no "kid-stuff" at the pool.

If you want the family atmosphere, try the Hilton Waikoloa. With that said, we definitely enjoyed our stay at the Orchid.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 10:27 am

When we stayed there in August, they had a bunch of kids programs daily (in addition to their usual daily kids programs) at the beach area - I assume it's because of the vacation month.

I know they have the usual kids program all year round, but they may run the similar ones in spring again since it's another school break season. You might want to check with the Guest Services at the hotel. Talk to Lynn at the Guest Services - she is very helpful.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Is the beach nice for kids?

I haven't seen a real good picture of the beach, but one photo of the beach looks like it might be a nice, gentle surf (I know it depends partly on time of year).

Also, is there decent snokeling close to the property's beach?

Thank you!

------------------
"You continue to persist with the silliness"
Old Sep 30, 2002, 8:08 pm

As part of the "Resort Fee", snorkeling equipment is free and they have a lagoon on the property where there are sea turtles and all kinds of fishes. If you don't go too far, the lagoon can be gentle for the kids.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 8:34 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I will echo the earlier sentiment about the Hilton Waikoloa just down the road from the Orchid. Don't get me wrong -- I honeymooned at the Orchid and was there just two weeks ago myself, but let's face it...this was built as a super deluxe Ritz Carlton not that long ago before becoming the Orchid. Amenities and facilities are built for discriminating adults. Kids are not out of place here, but the Hilton Waikoloa goes to nearly unheard of lengths to be family friendly.

The downside is that it is very akin to Disneyworld meets Hawaii (think manicured acre after acre, monorails, boat rides to your restaurant, three story waterfalls, etc.) None of these things would you find at the Orchid.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 8:57 pm
Suspended

I love Disney, and I love Hawaii, but there are just some things that don't go together.

My concern about the Hilton on the Big Island is that it might be a tad too much. I'm willing to trade off some of the in-your-face amusement for a quieter, more laid back experience..even with kids.

Thanks, or rather, Mahalo, for your input.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 9:20 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yep, I agree with "sbtinme."

And yes, the beach is nice, IMHO!
Old Sep 30, 2002, 9:25 pm

Also I just cannot ignore their awesome platinum member recognition at the Orchid.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the information. I will concur that the Hilton feels like Disney wearing a hula--the experience we had there was so un-Hawaiian. Also, I felt like I was being nickeled and dimed all the time.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
We have always stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel. Kids are now 11 and 14, but we have been going for several years. Great beach, nice pool and relatively small hotel (350 rooms) with a lot of open space and a couple of good restaurants, but only about a 10 minute drive up to Waimea where there are several inexpensive places to eat. Our kids have always felt welcome and the staff does a good job with kids and there have been a fair number around when we have visited. There is also a reasonably large game room/arcade where kids can congregate while the parents are having a mai tai, etc. Might be worth considering in your case.
Old Oct 2, 2002, 8:31 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PLangian:
Is the beach nice for kids?

I haven't seen a real good picture of the beach, but one photo of the beach looks like it might be a nice, gentle surf (I know it depends partly on time of year).

Also, is there decent snokeling close to the property's beach?

Thank you!

</font>
I didn't see this one addressed yet. I do not have kids, but the beach to me seemed ideal for kids. It is very sheltered, relatively shallow, and self-contained. Almost like a big swimming pool in a natural little bay. No waves. No strong currents. Lots of shallow water to play around in.

I found the snorkeling to be frustrating around the beach due to the fresh-water runoff clouding the water. In another posting, somebody said this was common on the big island. I was also advised to swim further away from the shore.

If you're a diver, make sure you do the night-time manta dive. This was the one of the best dives of my 15 year diving career!
Old Oct 2, 2002, 9:30 pm
Suspended

That does it! "Kids load up the car, we're headed for the Big Island!"

Mahalo!

------------------
"You continue to persist with the silliness"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.