Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I overreacting?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Angry Am I overreacting?

As a platinum member, I stay at the Westin Edina hotel at least once per month with my family. Several of the front desk staff know us by name and have been wonderful to greet us and check us in. My last visit, I arrived to find that my 2 Queen Bed reservation would not be honored. I had been "upgraded" to a single King bed. Since we are a family of three, that meant one person would sleep on the floor (i.e., Dad). The "upgraded" room had no pullout sofa bed and there were no rollaways available as the hotel was totally at capacity.

When I stated that I wanted the room I reserved and that the King room was not an upgrade nor what I reserved I was told the room was not available. Apparently, there was a bar mitzvah party occupying 100 rooms, an art convention, and an "emergency situation" that prevented staff from making my room available.

Call it an educated guess but it feels to me like my room was given to the bar mitzvah party since they would need all the double bed rooms and rollaways available for the various families and who would refuse a 100 room reservation, right? Unfortunately, no one called me to make other arrangements prior to our arrival at 9:30 pm, tired and ready for bed.

Now I ask myself, am I not the cool kid? Did I draw the short straw and that's lady luck for you? Out of the 700+ rooms, I'm not sure how many are double bed occupancy, but I'm pretty sure that all of them weren't filled with Platinum guests who frequent the hotel at least once a month.

Did they comp my night? Yes, they did. But, I don't think that nearly compensates for making me sleep on the floor. Moving to another hotel wasn't an option since our commitments the next day were right next door and we'd be driving 20 minutes each way out of our way.

I called Platinum Concierge. I complained to front-desk. I completed a poor survey when I received the survey email. When I received contact from the "Director of Guest Services," she stated the following:

"I sincerely apologize for the confusion with your room type upon arrival. Our associates are always willing to assist in creating a better experience for you during your stay but due to circumstances out of their control they were not able to provide the service you needed. Please be sure to notate your reservations when a room with 2 beds is required, our intention was only to provide an upgrade based on the information you provided through the SPG Preferences program but by the time you arrived we were sold out completely and unable to move you back. We did take care of your room charges entirely for the misunderstanding, as a service gesture and in hopes that you would acknowledge it was a mistake."

So, I should be thankful that my room was comp'd? I would've gladly paid to not sleep on the floor. I need to explicitly state in my profile, "do not upgrade me to a downgraded room which has less sleep space?" Circumstances outside their control?? What, like bar mitzvah parties that need the space more than I do?

What did I do? I threatened to cancel existing reservations as well as Amex SPG, to share my story, and never return again.

Response? "The email sent was an apology and I was simply asking what else I could do for you as our guest. But I will kindly cancel you reservations for October if you prefer."

Did you read it that way? I did not. Maybe I'm just to upset.

I really liked Starwood and am super disappointed. That said, I've already spent over 60k on my Amex SPG and the Hilton card gets you Diamond status after 40k. I think it is time to say good bye to Starwood forever. Still deciding if I'm going to short their stock (they are for sale - wonder why?).

Thoughts? Similar experiences?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat (LT Plat 2.1 MM),United S, SPG P, Marriott P, Hyatt Diamond *-)-
Originally Posted by noelv
"...Please be sure to notate your reservations when a room with 2 beds is required..."
Did your reservation note there would be children & more than 1 adult in the room? Or was the reservation made for a single adult (perhaps by mistake)?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

2 Adults. iPhone app doesn't include children. Should that matter though? I stay at that property every month and every month we reserve 2 Queen Beds? The double queen is $30-$40 a night more expensive than the King room.

Bottom-line is they needed the double queens for the bar mitzvah reservation and bounced me to another room. Could've been an honest mistake assuming two adults could stay in a king but no one called to confirm this and customer service failed to remedy the situation. Huge fail from my perspective. Still fuming days later.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, noelv!

I don't understand what you're looking for.

Since they comped the night, I think that's about all you can expect. The bed type is guaranteed for revenue stays, and the only real recourse if they renege on the guarantee is a comp night. (The same thing happed to us in reverse, and the comp night is what we got, though it took some doing.)

Conceivably, you could ask for "walk" compensation, which is the comp room plus points equivalent to a free night at that property.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat (LT Plat 2.1 MM),United S, SPG P, Marriott P, Hyatt Diamond *-)-
2 Adults.
If this is so, then absolutely I think they were wrong to change you to a King room without contacting you first. What if it were yourself and a work colleague this time? The reservation indicated more than 1 person and more than 1 bed. Did they offer any compensation apart from the room refund?

From a customer service perspective, and considering you're platinum, I would think the hotel itself (maybe not starwood) would offer you a voucher for a room the next month (since this seems to be a monthly regular event for you)

With respect to the front desk knowing you, I don't think you can depend on that to make any difference. Do they check the computer in the morning to see who will be checking in the hotel that day? I doubt it. In the past, I've stayed for nearly a month at a single spg property, spread over 2 calendar months, and although they did recognize me, they still asked for ID showing eligibility for the same booked rate, and they couldn't always give me a high floor (as requested every time) (lowly gold, so could be why)
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

I guess I don't feel like there is compensation for making any customer, let alone a regular, sleep on the floor and then act like a comp night makes up for it. It sure didn't make my back feel any better the next day.

Sometimes I feel like the quality of service at these properties is no better than what you get at a four points or hampton inn. When you are paying more, I think there is less room and tolerance for these kinds of mistakes. They just shouldn't happen at a Westin property. I think we've become too complacent in our expectations of quality products and services these days and businesses continue to chip away at these things.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:57 pm
Suspended

I guess I don't feel like there is compensation for making any customer, let alone a regular, sleep on the floor and then act like a comp night makes up for it. It sure didn't make my back feel any better the next day.

Sometimes I feel like the quality of service at these properties is no better than what you get at a four points or hampton inn. When you are paying more, I think there is less room and tolerance for these kinds of mistakes. They just shouldn't happen at a Westin property. I think we've become too complacent in our expectations of quality products and services these days and businesses continue to chip away at these things.
I think you are being way too harsh with the hotel. I would 100% agree with you had you stated on your res 2 adults , 1 child. Yes you may have been traveling with a friend and wouldnt sleep in the same bed. But the fact is you booked a room for 2 people when you knew youd be 3. I see that your sleeping on the floor was as much your own fault as the hotels I agree with others they should have contacted you to make sure the new room and bedding would be OK with you, but they saw it as an Upgrade and if your res was for Mr & Mrs noelv why would think you wouldnt sleep in the 1 bed together.

They comped the night which says they agree they dropped the ball. Going forward just make sure to always book 2 As and 1C, unless they charge more for that and thusly why you only book it as 2As

Update; just checked this hotel and 2As or 2As & 1C is the same rate. 2Qs was $341 42m size room, 1K was $359 36m room, and a DeLuxe 1K rom was 47m. When I put in 2As & 1C the reg K room didnt show up only the DeLuxe. Guess the reg room isnt large enough for the extra bed. So I guess going forward put down 2As & 1C and if they move you (after this time I doubt they will again) they will know it must be to the larger Deluxe King and put an extra bed in it

Last edited by craz; Sep 2, 2015 at 9:08 pm
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I guess I don't feel like there is compensation for making any customer, let alone a regular, sleep on the floor and then act like a comp night makes up for it.
Then I expect you will never be happy.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:32 pm

Out of the 700+ rooms, I'm not sure how many are double bed occupancy, but I'm pretty sure that all of them weren't filled with Platinum guests who frequent the hotel at least once a month.
The Westin Edina only has 225 room.

Did they comp my night? Yes, they did. But, I don't think that nearly compensates for making me sleep on the floor. Moving to another hotel wasn't an option since our commitments the next day were right next door and we'd be driving 20 minutes each way out of our way.
Seems to me that you made the choice to sleep on the floor. Assuming you had a car, I don't think that a 20 minute drive is particularly unreasonable.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Are you overreacting? Yes and no.

I think it's fair for you to be disappointed in the property. You perceive yourself as a regular and at one stay per month, that's probably accurate. Are you one of their top guests? Probably not, I'm sure they have a fair amount of guests who stay several days per week. Where I'm going here is that you're probably not at the top of the pecking order when compared to an event that is taking up 100 rooms. At the same time, when traveling with your family, I would say they didn't do right by you in terms of accommodating your needs. They refunded your room which I think is a good attempt at service recovery.

Where you are overreacting is in areas like threatening to cancel your SPG AmEx (I can't imagine the property is going to care), saying goodbye to starwood forever, shorting HOT, etc. Unless this is part of a string of service problems that you've experienced across the starwood system (and it doesn't appear that's the case), then you're dealing with an isolated instance. If you don't feel you can trust the property anymore, that's fine. Minneapolis is thick with Starwood properties so you have lots of options, abandon the Westin and move on. But walking away from Starwood altogether over this one situation seems extreme.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by AA_CPA
With respect to the front desk knowing you, I don't think you can depend on that to make any difference. Do they check the computer in the morning to see who will be checking in the hotel that day?
Properties can have their computers print out an arrivals list for any day. My usual hotel does this; and it's reviewed in the morning management meeting every day. I had an unexpected stay just a couple of days ago (i.e., I showed up without a rezzie and there was a room available). When the GM was doing his regular walk-about at breakfast the next morning, he remarked that he was surprised to see me as he hadn't seen my name on the arrival list.

Additionally, IIRC, William told us a couple of years ago that Starwood provides each property with a daily list indicating which SPG members are due to arrive, and which are GLD, PLT, AMB, etc.

So, yes, they do know who's arriving every day. There are a few properties where I'm known as a regular, and it's clear that they know that I'm coming before I arrive (if I've made a rezzie).
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:59 am

I will suggest you put a remark in your every reservation "Please do not upgrade me. I only need the room type I reserved, thank you.", so that you won't be disappointed anymore.

Don't be so mean man. It's a once off issue only. Let the hotel know your desire, and hope they will improve. If they still repeat the mistake, I will agree you are not overreact.

Also, Platinum is not the king, plus who never made mistakes? Don't always try to "threaten" others. Be nice to others if you want others to be nice to you.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Hi, noelv and welcome to FT! Hopefully you'll stick around and contribute long after this post and its responses have left the first page.

I'd have been unhappy as well sleeping on the floor, and mr kk and I once did just that--at a hilton property--when the bed was just horribly uncomfortable (ancient mattress and his bad back) and there wasn't a room to move us to, and no amount of boards under the bed would correct the problem. They provided extra blankets and we made a nest on the floor.

The next morning, the hotel comped us the room and I considered it done.

Your situation is different in that you stay at the property monthly, but I do think you're overreacting with your plans(?) to cancel your SPG Amex, leaving Starwood, etc. you have a right to be disappointed, but you should have listed three people on the room, so you may have to share some responsibility.

they apologized--which is how I read the email you shared--and I'd move on, either to stay there again in the future (expecting stellar service) or to another property.

If, as you say upthread, there's no compensation that can make you happy, I'm curious what you were hoping to find here?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:47 am

I don't know the age of OP's child but I wonder sharing the king bet by 3 would be better than sleeping on floor......Sad dad.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for their response. Seems the consensus is an overreaction. I can say in my defense the iPhone app only has inputs for adults, not children so I'd have to put 3 adults down going forward. Assume that wouldn't change the price?? In this case, not sure I'd chalk that up to being as much my fault as theirs though. I'm definitely not top of their pecking order for sure and wouldn't expect to be but I don't think that means bumping you to a room with fewer sleep accommodations than people. They wouldn't let me reserve a King room with more than 2 people so why would they put me there? Honest mistake, may have been but don't think they reacted well. Maybe a room comp is acceptable to everyone else but we arrived very tired, after a very long day of activities so not having a heavenly bed to sleep in was quite a blow. Every upgrade we've had at this property was King + Sofa w/ pullout so I never felt I would need to update my profile to say "don't upgrade me." I guess I wouldn't consider a King with no sofa/pullout to be an upgrade.

Sounds like my expectations are too high for Westin properties. Thanks everyone for your input. Always helps to look through the perspectives of others to check ourselves and our own outlook.

Regards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.