Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Moana Surfrider vs Royal Hawaiian - Chances of Upgrade to Ocean View as SPG Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moana Surfrider vs Royal Hawaiian - Chances of Upgrade to Ocean View as SPG Gold

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres

I am looking to book three nights (Wed-Sat) in early November at either the Moana Surfrider ($265/nt) or the Royal Hawaiian ($285/nt) in the least expensive room. Unfortunately, The Sheraton Waikiki is fully booked so it is currently not an option. I have read many reviews comparing these two properties, and my decision will come down to the chances of getting upgraded to a room with an ocean view, preferably with a balcony.

As an SPG Gold, which of these hotels will yield a greater chance of an upgrade from a standard room to an ocean view room, preferably with a balcony in early November?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
This can help.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...iscussion.html
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Thanks, I did read that long thread yesterday. Lots of info to take in. There was definitely more info on Platinum experiences than Gold experiences.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by EricUSC
Thanks, I did read that long thread yesterday. Lots of info to take in. There was definitely more info on Platinum experiences than Gold experiences.
Sorry to tell you but gold is good as nothing in terms of upgrades in the US. Hopefully you would get something out of it.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: Gold SPG and Marriott, Silver United Milage Plus
Moana Surfrider vs Royal Hawaiian

The threat above is right-we go to the Moana Surfrider every winter-as a Gold I have never gotten an upgrade-I don't even ask anymore. Those base rooms if facing the street at the Moana, may be noisy. The Royal Hawaiian is great too, no place to sit by the beach/on the beach, umbtrellas or any such thisng. The Moana still has the iconic banyan tree, great shade around the court yard, there are also umbrellas, free, around the puny swimming pool.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:47 pm
Suspended

OP thanks for the best belly laugh Ive had in a very long time, sorry that it was at your expense

That said as others have said Gold is pretty much worthless especially in HI especially at a resort where even Plats are getting short changed nowadays.

If you really want or need that ocean view w/balcony you're going to ante up and actually book and pay for it. Maybe someone with the knowledge can post the answer but I dont know it, question is can pts be used to Upgrade to an ocean view w/balcony if yes from a standard room? Id call SPG and ask OP 1 if pts can be used to upgrade and what type of room do I need to reserve in order to use my pts and be confirmed into the room type you want
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:18 pm

Well, as a plat, I got exactly what I booked and paid for at the Moana a couple of months ago. At check in, they even wanted to charge me for access to the Beach Club for my kids until I explained that they were under 12.
Prior to arrival, I got an email asking if they could do anything for us, were we celebrating anything in particular, blah, blah. I answered, and then nothing happened during my whole stay.

That said, we enjoyed the hotel and Waikiki, but no member of the hotel staff really stood out in any form, other than a friendly and kind server at the Beach Club.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by Okto
Well, as a plat, I got exactly what I booked and paid for at the Moana a couple of months ago..... no member of the hotel staff really stood out in any form, other than a friendly and kind server at the Beach Club.
That was pretty much our experience too. One very friendly older lady from California in the Beach Club and a whole lot of blah from everyone else. We tried upgrading with SNA with no joy. We booked Banyan Wing City View and got a Banyan Ocean View (partial from the side), in the smallest hotel room I have ever had in my life I think, including London and other European hotels, as well as Japan, all places not exactly known for huge hotel rooms. We certainly wouldn't stay again.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:43 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Agree with everyone's advice here. In general (this goes across hotel loyalty programs), Hawaii is a place where you need to book the room you want to end up in, and should not expect any form of upgrade.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by EricUSC

You don't mention but did you read this thread?
Royal Hawaiin vs. Moana Surfrider

There may be something to use. But I agree with others. Book what you want, do not rely on a potential upgrade.

Can this be merged?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I have done all 3 of the beach Starwoods this week.

I was originally booked to stay at the Sheraton on a flexible rate. Applied SNA's (despite them never clearing, ever at this property), 2 weeks prior to arrival all rooms were zeroed out and I kept an eye on the other properties but ultimately decided to roll the dice on the Sheraton as I was staying by myself I thought I could live with the tiny room. I was wrong. After one night I cancelled and replaced with 2 days at the Moana and 4 at the RH. What really tipped me over the edge at the Sheraton where I have stayed before so knew what to expect, was the lack of bathrobes and shower gel. The breakfast selection there in the club also seems to have dramatically headed south.

I booked a city view tower at the Moana and was upgraded (with a little prompting) to a double/double penthouse Ocena View (more partial view really). This was a huge spacious room although I would have preferred a King bed and a sofa to the 2 queen beds. The bathroom was almost as large as the room at the Sheraton and the decor was fresh and attractive, the room terrace was well furnished and spacious. Lots of little touches like the aloe vera after sun gel in the bathroom were most appreciated. The club is a classier act than the Sheraton without constant kids running amok. Possibly the food servings aren't quite as good as the Sheraton but I would happily trade that for the calmer atmosphere and nicer decor and direct view of the beach. The whole property felt fresh and modern and on a much more human scale than the Vegas like Sheraton. I was very sorry to check out yesterday. The BIG (or should that be extremely small?) problem is the pool it really isn't acceptable for a property of this size.

This brings me to the RH. I booked a great rate 4 for 3 with Amex on an FHR rate which has a similar cost to the Sheraton on a nightly basis. Despite an apparent ability to book both garden and ocean view junior suites they weren't budging on moving me from a Royal Oceanview room. I prodded further and finally settled for a Mailani Tower room on the 9th floor. This seems desperately in need of a refurb with rust showing on the cable civers in the room and a general stickiness to the carpets and furniture more reminiscent of a 2 star Caribbean joint than a luxury hotel. The whole external areas (including the tower "lounge" and internal corridors) aren't air conditioned and this makes them unpleasantly hot compared to the cooler classic wing. The room is OK it is noticeably bigger than the Sheraton and the balcony is nice if smaller than that that I had at the Moana all in though it is underwhelming. The pool area is smaller than the Moana but better laid out for poolside seating. Every seat has effective sun umbrellas which is a rarity I find in US resorts.

All in each of the properties has their flaws. I may have got lucky with an upgrade but I liked the Moana best. If I could use the Sheraton pool (like I can at the RH) it would be a clear win.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I stayed at all 3 too. I am a Plat but stayed as a Gold at Royal Hawaiian over 11 years ago. I did NOT care for Westin. I had a special occasion and as a Plat, thought I could get an UG. They put me in the old Banyan section which was supposed to be ocean view. You had to lay on the shared wooden balcony to see the water- the Banyan tree blocks it all. THAT was considered an UG by the man at the desk! The pool area reeked- recent rain and a small area don't mix. But I haven't stayed in the tower so maybe that is nicer? My reservation was for the tower. I am not THAT picky but I hated it. The pool was small, no help, and the food was not great. The worst part was the room, though. Some people do like the historic feel but I say if so, stay at Royal Hawaiian!

After 3 nights at Westin Moana I moved to Sheraton Waikiki and it was a HUGE upgrade from that old Banyan room. I was only there one night and the following day but they treated me VERY well. I was upgraded to a full ocean view and the room was modern and spacious. The Club Lounge was beyond amazing- it overlooks Diamond Head and I loved it. Also, they had soft drinks you could just grab and food I actually recognized. Westin's Club was mostly Asian food and I am very picky. And the people at Sheraton are great for recognizing SPG Gold and Plats and there is even a special desk/line for us. It's been a year and I return this month. This time I got a good rate for all 4 nights (AAA Hot Rate of 250/night and it is already up to 330/night last I checked) and am hoping for same friendly service I got last time. I don't leave till the 26th but I'm going to try for a suite this time. Or at least a larger room as I'll be there longer than the 1 night.

Either way, I found the SPG treatment at Sheraton to be excellent, whereas Westin just was so-so. I also loved the Sheraton's gift bag deal. You go into the gift shop and fill a bag as an extra gift. I remember that when I went, that was for Gold and Plats. I also got a late check out which was so important bc of the late flight I had. I don't mind paying a bit extra for Sheraton Waikiki- it's so much nicer than Westin! Good Luck!!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by thaliajen
I stayed at all 3 too. I am a Plat but stayed as a Gold at Royal Hawaiian over 11 years ago. I did NOT care for Westin. I had a special occasion and as a Plat, thought I could get an UG. They put me in the old Banyan section which was supposed to be ocean view. You had to lay on the shared wooden balcony to see the water- the Banyan tree blocks it all. THAT was considered an UG by the man at the desk! The pool area reeked- recent rain and a small area don't mix. But I haven't stayed in the tower so maybe that is nicer? My reservation was for the tower. I am not THAT picky but I hated it. The pool was small, no help, and the food was not great. The worst part was the room, though. Some people do like the historic feel but I say if so, stay at Royal Hawaiian!

After 3 nights at Westin Moana I moved to Sheraton Waikiki and it was a HUGE upgrade from that old Banyan room. I was only there one night and the following day but they treated me VERY well. I was upgraded to a full ocean view and the room was modern and spacious. The Club Lounge was beyond amazing- it overlooks Diamond Head and I loved it. Also, they had soft drinks you could just grab and food I actually recognized. Westin's Club was mostly Asian food and I am very picky. And the people at Sheraton are great for recognizing SPG Gold and Plats and there is even a special desk/line for us. It's been a year and I return this month. This time I got a good rate for all 4 nights (AAA Hot Rate of 250/night and it is already up to 330/night last I checked) and am hoping for same friendly service I got last time. I don't leave till the 26th but I'm going to try for a suite this time. Or at least a larger room as I'll be there longer than the 1 night.

Either way, I found the SPG treatment at Sheraton to be excellent, whereas Westin just was so-so. I also loved the Sheraton's gift bag deal. You go into the gift shop and fill a bag as an extra gift. I remember that when I went, that was for Gold and Plats. I also got a late check out which was so important bc of the late flight I had. I don't mind paying a bit extra for Sheraton Waikiki- it's so much nicer than Westin! Good Luck!!
The standard room at the Sheraton is just horrible though that is the problem. If you don't get a suite it is a poky cupboard sized room for you. LAst time there we only stayed one night and had a suite which was pretty nice even on a low floor. The big issue there is the sheer number of people flowing through it (like a Vegas hotel) and the vast majority of rooms are for me unacceptably small with practically no chance of SNA's clearing or available rooms to upgrade you to beyond an oceanfront.

The Sheraton has lots of little touches and will let you go a la carte with the resort fee too which is nice unlike the others but they offer faster internet to plats. I like the Sheraton but the room risk is just too great.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Sep 1, 2015 at 8:14 pm
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Hmmm, I wonder what type of room I got at Sheraton bc it was very nice. I was upgraded to a King Ocean View and it was much nicer and as large as the Banyan Room I got at Westin. Maybe it's just that I was stuck in the old part of the Westin? But I didn't like anything there. I like more modern buildings so I was happy to get my room at Sheraton. But I know there are people who prefer the historical rooms- I'm just not one of them. I was so happy when I switched to the Sheraton that I almost cried. I also didn't like Westin's lounge.

Sheraton IS full a lot so I can see where that would affect the upgrades. But since I got what I consider a downgrade at Westin, I didn't mind the crowd. Maybe I was lucky, but my room at Sheraton was incredible and much more modern and luxurious than Westin Moana. Yet again, that may be that it was bc I was thrown in a Banyan Room. And Westin's pool was awful! But to each their own and I would never say one person was wrong bc they preferred one over the other. I just wish Sheraton was the cheap one here, as I refuse to go back to Westin. They're up to $383/night for lowest type room at Sheraton for my dates, and Westin is much cheaper. Maybe it's the pool thing?

The other thing that sold me on the Sheraton there was the AC. They adjusted it for me so I could set it as low as I wanted (I LOVE a cold room) and I'd been boiling in my room at Westin. I also kind of like cookie-cutter rooms if you're talking they're all the same bc I know what to expect. But I might've had a better stay at Westin if I had asked them to return me to my original reservation which was NOT in the Banyan rooms. I just never figured out HOW that was an upgrade! I'm glad I stayed at both so I knew what to expect. I just did that in Maui a few weeks ago- stayed at Sheraton even though I loved the Westin there. It's fun to change it up a bit.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:22 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Sorry to tell you but gold is good as nothing in terms of upgrades in the US. Hopefully you would get something out of it.
Incorrect i get upgrades quite often ( one level up)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.